Talk

Advanced search

AIBU or is exP?

(9 Posts)
neuroticmumof3 Sat 20-Oct-12 18:01:38

Ex P is on Incapacity Benefit and gives me £5 per week for DD. We are not on the breadline, I work PT but we do not have much spare money and little treats like trips to cinema are few and far between.

I have been aware for some months that Ex P is working on the side, collecting scrap and selling it. I have tried to convince him to go legit and come off benefits but it's like talking to a brick wall. I have considered informing DWP of his activities but haven't come to a decision about that yet.

Several times I have asked him for additional money for DD but none has been forthcoming. I thought he was only making a few quid here and there but just now he showed me a car on ebay he wants to buy and told me he'd nearly saved enough money for it. It cost £1k!!!!

He genuinely thinks I'm AIBU for asking him for money! I think he's AIBU because I think a decent dad would WANT to provide/contribute towards their child's maintenance.

Now I've written this I really want to inform DWP of his fraud. Only thing that stops me is that given he has quite an extensive criminal history (altho not for fraud) he may get a custodial sentence. Whilst I'm not saying he wouldn't deserve it I'm a bit conflicted as to what's in DD's best interests. Also I need to do a bit of snooping and get the details of the van he drives around in collecting scrap.

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sat 20-Oct-12 18:06:27

I would shop him, but I'm a bitch like that

You won't miss that measly fiver, and he is a criminal

Hardly a great model for a young girl

Who cares if he goes to prison ?

OnlyWantsOne Sat 20-Oct-12 18:09:31

What's in your DDs best interest is to grow up knowing what is right and wrong.

And also having clothes & food.

Report him.

neuroticmumof3 Sat 20-Oct-12 18:16:25

Think you're right. I want him to go legit so she's got a father who works and contributes, both to her and society. Someone she can be proud of. I don't think that's going to happen is it? DD is the delightful result of a ONS I had during a (then undiagnosed) bipolar episode - hypersexuality being a symptom of mania for me. He's crap tbh but I keep thinking he'll change for DD. I'm going to go on a mission next week to find his number plate details.

neuroticmumof3 Sat 20-Oct-12 19:17:59

I've done it! Filled out the online benefit fraud form and clicked on 'send' before I could change my mind. I wonder if they really do follow up on all these reports of fraud?

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sat 20-Oct-12 19:19:45

Time will tell. But well done. You have done what you can.

RobynRidingHood Sat 20-Oct-12 19:32:57

Of course if he is claiming benefits, found to be fraudulent, convicted, he'll have his benefitss stopped and have to pay it back.

Hassled Sat 20-Oct-12 19:34:33

Will he realise it's come from you?

neuroticmumof3 Sat 20-Oct-12 21:15:00

I'll just deny it if he accuses me. He's recently fallen out with a friend of his so may think it's them. I thought he was making maybe £20 per wk but if he's saved £1k in about 3 months then I estimate he's made at least double that, which means he's probably making at least £150 per week. If he were legit and paying 15% in child support that would give DD £20 per week. Not a fortune but it would make a difference to her lifestyle and provide outings/treats etc. I just can't understand how he doesn't want to improve her lifestyle. I take a lot of pride in providing financially for my DC. His attitude infuriates me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now