Talk

Advanced search

To be freaked out and think theres some kind of toxin in my house

(70 Posts)
Whistlingwaves Fri 19-Oct-12 13:55:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pongysticks Fri 19-Oct-12 14:11:08

sorry do you mean the budgie and hamster have died? within minutes of each other and at the same time you got a headache??

Thats just odd - so no gas? but do the neighbours have gas or anything else, has it happened since the headache?

quoteunquote Fri 19-Oct-12 14:13:52

carbon monoxide poisoning?
www.gassaferegister.co.uk/learn/carbon_monoxide_kills.aspx

open all doors and windows, get out until you find whats going on.

StanleyLambchop Fri 19-Oct-12 14:13:58

That is strange, if they have all died just as you had your sickness. Have you heard of anything going on locally? Could you check with your neighbours if they noticed anything?

Whistlingwaves Fri 19-Oct-12 14:18:56

Whistlingwaves Fri 19-Oct-12 14:20:15

KenLeeeeeee Fri 19-Oct-12 14:20:35

That's a bit scary. Are you in a block of flats? Can you contact whoever is in charge of the block and see what they can find out? In the meantime open all doors and windows to keep it as ventilated as possible.

Whistlingwaves Fri 19-Oct-12 14:24:37

KenLeeeeeee Fri 19-Oct-12 14:25:30

Can you call the landlord? Presumably both flats are owned by the same person?

geegee888 Fri 19-Oct-12 14:25:50

I have this sort of reaction if anyone drinks camomile tea near me! Of all the innocuous things!

phantomnamechanger Fri 19-Oct-12 14:33:57

I would be worried by this too

when you say you don't have gas, what heating do you have - if it's an oil burning boiler or a solid fuel fire, you can STILL get CO poisoning!

am asuming you dont live near any industrial plant which could have leaked somethign into the air?

MrsKeithRichards Fri 19-Oct-12 14:48:42

Oh god that's weird!

BrainSurgeon Fri 19-Oct-12 14:48:57

Call your GP. There's definitely something very wrong if the pets are dead sad

ScarahStratton Fri 19-Oct-12 14:52:34

Open the windows and go outside. Are you absolutely positive there is no gas to the building? Are you in a semi/terrace, as CO fumes can leak through?

I really, really think you should call the Gas board out, dead pets is very scary. sad

ScarahStratton Fri 19-Oct-12 14:54:29

You're not burning Yankee candles, are you? Someone on here, think it might have been MrsDV, lost her finches from burning those.

Merrin Fri 19-Oct-12 14:55:05

Dont sleep there tonight unless you have worked out what the problem is. Could you take pets to the vet for further investigation and phone landlord etc?

Whistlingwaves Fri 19-Oct-12 14:58:20

drjohnsonscat Fri 19-Oct-12 15:02:40

Can you call the gas people out anyway to check? Just say you can smell gas and I think they are probably obliged to come and check. I wouldn't assume next door is being checked regularly.

Honsandrevels Fri 19-Oct-12 15:04:05

When I was a child we were all ill and it turned out the freezer was leaking something toxic. I don't think freezers contain the same stuff anymore though.

Ring transco. There might be a leak from next door.

FeckOffCup Fri 19-Oct-12 15:05:01

I would call the gas emergency people too and ask them to come and take readings, could it be that a nearby property is leaking CO through a vent? If you have the symptoms again I would go to A&E.

ScarahStratton Fri 19-Oct-12 15:07:56

Ring Transco, tell them that you feel ill, you can smell gas (fib a little), and both your hamster and your budgie have died suddenly.

It's not worth messing about, particularly as your pets have died, that is really worrying, and it could quite easily be coming from another property.

FatherHankTree Fri 19-Oct-12 15:15:41

Call Transco 0800 111 999.

TheDarkestNight Fri 19-Oct-12 15:18:26

Get out of there ASAP, then try to find out the cause. Dead pets not a good sign, even if the cause isn't immediately obvious, staying somewhere else until it's found would not be an overreaction!

loopylou6 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:55:53

shock Thats beyond scary, deffo follow advice given here.

Whistlingwaves Fri 19-Oct-12 16:01:44

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now