Talk

Advanced search

toothbrushes for trick or treaters

(104 Posts)
ScaredBear Tue 25-Oct-11 12:52:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

worraliberty Tue 25-Oct-11 12:54:31

Just put a note on the door saying "No trick or treaters please...Happy Halloween"

There's no point in answering the door and giving anything out if you don't want to be a part of it, is there?

IloveJudgeJudy Tue 25-Oct-11 12:54:45

If you've got decorations up then you're going to get trick or treaters. You can't give them toothbrushes as they will take it as not getting a treat so you might get tricked. I'd be careful.

ChippingInToThePumpkinLantern Tue 25-Oct-11 12:54:53

Your Mum is right - it is mean. If you really can't give a few kids a few sweets without looking like you have sucked on a lemon then put a note on the door. Use clear writing and easy to read language as small children will need to be able to read it themselves.

carabos Tue 25-Oct-11 12:55:23

We turn the trick or treat tables. When kids knock on the door, we say to them "trick or treat?". Mostly they can't resist saying "trick" so we give them an orange.
Strangely, after the first few, it's quiet all night....grin

agedknees Tue 25-Oct-11 12:55:29

I think thats a great idea (and funny too). Clas Olsen (sp) does a bumper pack of toothbrushes if you have one of their stores near you.

Prepare to be egged though.

tooearlymustdache Tue 25-Oct-11 12:55:37

why spend any money on them at all?

ignore the door - i do being a mean cunt grin

ScaredBear Tue 25-Oct-11 12:58:30

peeriebear Tue 25-Oct-11 12:59:53

Just do what I did when DD2 was tiny- I put a sign up saying "Please don't knock as dog will bark VERY LOUD. Have a nice night!" and left a bowl of sweets out. The kids were very good and just took a few each. If they can see you're having a party they'll be attracted to your house like moths so don't be mean! It's not the children's fault we have Halloween as part of modern culture.

talkingnonsense Tue 25-Oct-11 13:00:17

Do like carabaos says- say trick or treat and if they choose trick give them a toothbrush!

peeriebear Tue 25-Oct-11 13:00:48

Or do what my friend does and answer the door wearing a terrifying wooden carved devil mask and scream horribly at them.

Pancakeflipper Tue 25-Oct-11 13:00:49

I would either do Halloween with good fun or not at all. The toothbrush thing seems a little like too hard trying to make a point. When the point is you don't wanna do it - so don't do it.

OldGreyWassailTest Tue 25-Oct-11 13:01:14

FFS - I absolutely hate the term 'glorified begging'. Presume your party is for Halloween - so it's ok to 'beg' as long as they are indoors?

ScaredBear Tue 25-Oct-11 13:04:08

ScaredBear Tue 25-Oct-11 13:05:13

worraliberty Tue 25-Oct-11 13:07:42

But it will be interrupted if you're going to hand out toothbrushes.

And actually, I can see some little ones loving the idea grin

Mine used to come home from school all excited when the school supplied them with toothbrushes and a tube of paste...couldn't wait to use them at bedtime blush

Pancakeflipper Tue 25-Oct-11 13:09:38

I think it depends where you live ScaredBear. Our little street has a rule - if you have decorations or a pumpkin outside then you are doing trick and treat. At 6pm the little ones gather with parents and we are dressed up to gather in sweets at the doors who permit it. One year a neighbour ordered loads of Domino's pizzas and we all got a slice!

It's fun and the kids love.

At 8pm no more.

We are always worried that one day the bigger kids and kids from other areas may come along and ruin the 'rules'.

Maryz Tue 25-Oct-11 13:11:05

It is one night a year. It is a tradition (not one I like, but there you go).

Don't decorate your house, keep curtains closed, keep door shut and put up sign. If it gets pulled down, put it up again.

Toothbrushes is, quite frankly, pathetic.

worraliberty Tue 25-Oct-11 13:14:04

Unless they're glow-in-the-dark toothbrushes with little pumpkins on the end...or would that defeat the purpose? grin

GypsyMoth Tue 25-Oct-11 13:16:23

Scaredbear..... Maybe people will return the favour one day when YOUR dc go trick or treating

Maryz Tue 25-Oct-11 13:19:21

Oh, yes, ScaredBear, you have young childr(en) don't you?

Just wait until they are a little older and want to Trick or Treat. I bet you give in.

pallymama Tue 25-Oct-11 13:23:06

My DD would probably be more impressed with a toothbrush than sweets. grin

eurochick Tue 25-Oct-11 13:24:55

Just don't answer the door to them. We don't.

wonkylegs Tue 25-Oct-11 13:25:15

It is a bit bah humbug especially if you are having a party.
"Oldgrey it is, you dress your children in rags and send them to strangers doors."....actually round here we don't. We actually know our neighbours and all the kids go round the neighbouring houses - its nice to see them all dressed up usually they have gone to quite some effort. Occasionally we get the odd one or two that we don’t know we do live in a big city after all but they are usually quite nice and polite.

When I had a student house we did give out slices of white bread one year but that was because we had forgotten to buy anything and it was the only thing we had multiples of in the house.... you’d think this would put kids off but actually a few came back for seconds hmm

ScaredBear Tue 25-Oct-11 13:25:51

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now