Talk

Advanced search

to hate trick-or-treating?

(82 Posts)
ScaredBear Wed 12-Oct-11 16:54:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

worraliberty Wed 12-Oct-11 16:55:52

Oh god not this again biscuit

People are more than capable of saying no to trick or treaters should they wish to.

Not everyone knocks on random doors...guess what? Some people actually know their neighbours and are welcome.

RedOnion Wed 12-Oct-11 16:56:57

It's probably an unpopular opinion but i'm with you OP. I'm all for the dressing up, having a nice party and entering into the spirit part of Halloween but trick or treating is begging for sweets and money!

Not to mention it often intimidates and upsets older/vulnerable people.

ScaredBear Wed 12-Oct-11 16:58:01

mrskeithlemon Wed 12-Oct-11 16:58:26

dont answer the door?

Put a notice on the door saying baby sleeping or something similar?

Stop being so miserable?

Fixture Wed 12-Oct-11 17:01:47

YANBU.

It's a combination of cold-calling and blackmail. An unpleasant and negative way to have "fun".

Far prefarable to have a Halloween party with fancy dress, pumpkins, games etc.

Lylah Wed 12-Oct-11 17:03:24

YANBU. Not at all.

Knocking on doors after dark and annoying/worrying people is not clever!
Ok, there might be the odd one who likes being disturbed (judging by the responses so far) but I'm with you. Have a party by all means, but leave off with the door knocking nonsense! :P

exoticfruits Wed 12-Oct-11 17:05:49

YANBU-I hate it. It caused no end of trouble when mine were younger and I wouldn't let them go begging at stranger's doors. And who needs all those sweets?

2BoysTooLoud Wed 12-Oct-11 17:06:19

I always get sweets in but hate the concept of trick or treating. Don't mind Halloween parties though.

exoticfruits Wed 12-Oct-11 17:06:28

Fun shouldn't cause misery elsewhere. Dress up and have a party at home.

worraliberty Wed 12-Oct-11 17:08:07

Oh sod the brew and have a wine instead grin

Seriously, just put a polite note on your door saying "Please do not knock..Happy Halloween" or something.

OldGreyWassailTest Wed 12-Oct-11 17:08:55

I think you are an old misery, OP. I love seeing the littlies dressed up and full of awe and excitement, and I put a pumpkin and lights on my doorstep to let them know they are welcome to knock.

If you don't want them to knock, then make it clear. Stop moaning about it.

SusanneLinder Wed 12-Oct-11 17:11:57

Ah the annual Halloween kerfuffle,gone on for many years over lots of parenting forums.

Every year it makes me giggle to think of grown women hiding behind sofas and curtains, scared of kids in costumes. grin grin

TheSmallClanger Wed 12-Oct-11 17:13:37

YANBU, trick or treating is shite. One of the advantages of DD being 13 is that she is not interested any more - for about 5 years we had the same one-sided discussion: you aren't allowed, we only have 3 neighbours anyway, there is nowhere for you to go, you are not going.

DD is interested in witchcraft again at the moment and is being rather disdainful about Hallowe'en this year.

MrsRobertDuvall Wed 12-Oct-11 17:14:17

I hate it too.
Mine have never done it, we are a pumpkin free zone.
It's not even creative costumes...round here a mask from Poundland and job done. It always looks better on American films.

usualsuspect Wed 12-Oct-11 17:16:09

Its a bit early for the annual I hate trick or treating thread

Has anyone said Its begging yet?

TheRealMrsHannigan Wed 12-Oct-11 17:18:09

YABU...you could always ignore the knocks on your door or put a 'no trick or treaters' note up.

DD will be a week shy of three this halloween, I have spoken to my (nice) neighbours and 6 of them have agreed to let us trick or treat at their houses, her trick is a can of silly string, and I even offered to provide a mixed bag of treat sized choc bars for them to dish out to her but they said no and are happy to participate. I just want DD to have some nice halloween memories, same as I did as a child.

larks35 Wed 12-Oct-11 17:20:08

YANBU. I always forget and never have chocs in the house usually. I do ignore the knock but some just keep knocking. Why has it grown so much in recent years? My tutor group at school (year 9!!) are most put out that Halloween falls on a school day this year, they seem to think it should be a national holiday!! What a farce!

OldGreyWassailTest Wed 12-Oct-11 17:20:33

Yes usualsuspect - along with intimidation, cold-calling and blackmail! You knpw - the usual crap. I'm sure there was also a reference to 'strangers' as well.

Tyr Wed 12-Oct-11 17:21:33

I have no problem with it and like to see kids out enjoying Halloween. However, if you really want to discourage them, here is my top (tasteless) tip:
Get an old pair of wellies, paint them silver and leave them on your front doorstep.
Little buggers won't knock if they think Gary Glitter's in the house.

zukiecat Wed 12-Oct-11 17:25:20

A few years ago, my DH had to work nights on the week of Hallowe'en. Not being arsed with the constant getting up and down, I put a notice on my front door:

"No trick or treaters, please. 14 week old trying to sleep"

No-one asked me whether it was a baby or a kitten!!!

pigletmania Wed 12-Oct-11 17:56:37

Yanbu at all. Trick or treating is fine if you know the people in the de houses but if they are unfamiliar ones no no no

Fixture Wed 12-Oct-11 18:00:57

Yes usualsuspect, they have. And they're right grin

BakeliteBelle Wed 12-Oct-11 18:00:57

Oh what a grumpy lot.

Round here, it is the highlight of the year and people love greeting groups of really excited children coming to their door. They stock up on sweets and some people make cakes and mulled cider etc for the parents and put up beautiful decorations.

If you don't have your decorations out, you don't tend to get bothered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now