Talk

Advanced search

to think you should be able to have a quiet drink in a pub without being strip searched?

(94 Posts)
WhiteTrash Wed 05-Oct-11 19:10:51

My brother was with some friends in a local pub when police burst in for a drugs raid. All the males were taken in to the male toilets and strip searched. Right down to squatting and being asked to pull his bum cheeks apart. The girls were taken by female officers into the female cubicles but my brother doesnt know the extent if their search.

My brother and his friends had nothing on them (they only went in for a quiet pint) and no arrests were made.

I was shocked when I heard, I couldnt believe my brother had to do that. I felt the police were BU. My mum seems to think fairs fair and if the police need to raid, they need to raid. Its just a bummer (no pun intended) that my brother was there at the time.

What do you think?

BeerTricksPotter Wed 05-Oct-11 19:12:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StrandedBear Wed 05-Oct-11 19:13:26

BatsUpMeNightie Wed 05-Oct-11 19:15:18

I think it sounds like absolute bullshit - for a strip search I feel quite sure they'd have taken them into custody.

Nice name btw OP. Have you been here long?

Salmotrutta Wed 05-Oct-11 19:17:43

Yep - fairly sure they would have been strip-searched in the custody suite down the nick.
I don't believe this (have never said that on here before).

usualsuspect Wed 05-Oct-11 19:17:44

I think its unbelievable

WhiteTrash Wed 05-Oct-11 19:19:27

Really?? My brother isnt one to lie tbh. But at the same time I did raise an eyebrow myself....

malinois Wed 05-Oct-11 19:20:07

Sorry, it didn't happen. (assuming you are talking about the UK)

squeakytoy Wed 05-Oct-11 19:20:31

Someone is telling porkies.. the police would not do a full strip search in the pub toilets.

BatsUpMeNightie Wed 05-Oct-11 19:20:32

Your brother may not be one to lie...................

MrsWembley Wed 05-Oct-11 19:21:15

I too am a bit hmm about this... I'm fairly certain there have to be grounds, to the same extent that the police need grounds to get a search warrant for a property.

booyhoo Wed 05-Oct-11 19:21:44

didn't happen. they wouldn't have been strip searched like that infront of each other and in a pub toilet. think about it.

ArmageddonOuttahere Wed 05-Oct-11 19:22:33

Happened to a mate of mine upon entry to a festival. She had to remove underwear and bend over. I was furious on her behalf but she seemed rather blasé about it.

WhiteTrash Wed 05-Oct-11 19:22:42

I assumed they had a warrant though.

Salmotrutta Wed 05-Oct-11 19:23:30

There'd probably be strip searches going on in half the pub toilets round here if this was a likely scenario.
Which it isn't.

MrsWembley Wed 05-Oct-11 19:24:45

shock @ Armageddon - underwear???!!!

WhiteTrash Wed 05-Oct-11 19:24:52

I have thought about it. I questioned him a lot because I was so wtf?! But he said it was so.

My brother wouldnt lie, but it would not surprise me if there was more too it. But then, if it was more than he said then why tell my mum?

StrandedBear Wed 05-Oct-11 19:25:22

BatsUpMeNightie Wed 05-Oct-11 19:26:23

An excerpt from PACE

6.4.2 Conditions for intimate and strip searches

Intimate and strip searches can only be carried out on persons in police custody

Salmotrutta Wed 05-Oct-11 19:26:59

If this really happened I'll eat my hat.

squeakytoy Wed 05-Oct-11 19:27:35

Stranded, they can search you out of custody, but not strip search.

nailak Wed 05-Oct-11 19:27:43

i remember an article a few years back about two women who were strip searched in pub toilets and made a complaint to ipcc?

squeakytoy Wed 05-Oct-11 19:28:17

armageddon, I dont believe your mate either, I think she was exagerrating it..

booyhoo Wed 05-Oct-11 19:28:20

so he is adamant that all the males in the pub were strip searched infront of each other in the pub toilets, how many males? how many officers? how long were they made to stay in the toilets? were they all placed under arrest? was a warrant produced to say they were all (with individual names on the warrant) suspected of holding drugs in their bodies?

ArmageddonOuttahere Wed 05-Oct-11 19:29:39

I was shocked to the point of disbelief but this friend of mine is really not the lying type. I remember her being most put out about not having waxed shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now