Advanced search

to want to know how to make the police ban an idiot from driving...?

(18 Posts)
lieseylou Tue 20-Sep-11 14:46:05

So, yesterday, me and DS aged nearly 2 were out on the bike (he has a bobike seat on the front). We were cycling happily along the road when we encountered an idiot who was too busy talking on her phone to look before pulling out in front of us. I fortunately managed to emergency stop, about a foot away from her car. She continued talking on her phone and did also stop, but then offered no apology, instead choosing to glare at us for taking more than half a second to move out of the way (surprisingly I didn't think about shifting out of top gear before stopping). She then started moving before we were past the front of car thus nearly clipping my back tyre.

I was (am) so cross about it. I think I'm mostly cross because of the fact that she seemed to think we were in the wrong for daring to be on the road where she wanted to be driving.
Then today, saw the same woman driving her car, again on the phone, so I took note of the car reg. Am thinking about reporting it to the police.

The thing is, can the police actually do anything about it? Or will I just be wasting my time? If it were up to me she'd be banned from driving forever for simply being an idiot!

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 20-Sep-11 14:49:00

YANBU to report the license number. Not sure what the police will/can do with the information but what have you got to lose?

BettySwollocksandaCrustyRack Tue 20-Sep-11 14:51:34

YANBU - I cant believe the number of people I still see talking on their mobile phones whilst driving, it is so irresponsible!

Report it, sadly they prob wont do anything till she she maims/kills someone sad

pinkmagic1 Tue 20-Sep-11 14:52:54

I think the police are obliged to follow up all complaints. I would definitely report her. Some people have no regard for other road users and next time she is too busy chatting on her mobile she could seriously injure or god forbid even kill someone.

lolaflores Tue 20-Sep-11 14:54:30

She is driving without due care and attention, that is enough for you to be concerned and she very narrowly missed hurting you.. Not sure how to prove it. But they might pop along and have a word. Did she cause any damage to your bike that you could point to? Do you have a witness? These morons are my personal bug bear. SPecially when they are on a phone driving a car with kids in it which I have seen. I make hand gestures.

KaFayOLay Tue 20-Sep-11 14:57:07

YANBU - but I don't think the police can do anything unless you have a witness, it'd be your word against hers.

Myself and 2 daughters had to run out of the way of a woman who came through a red light on the pedestrian crossing we were on. We were on the far side of the road, so the lights had been on red a bit.
I took her number and rang the police. They said they couldn't do anything as I didn't have a witness. So I asked if she'd hit me and there had been no witnesses would she get away with that shock? He said no, so I pushed the point that they should have a word with her.

Anyway, to shut me up I think, he said that he'd put a call out and if any officers saw her in town, they'd pull her and have a word.

Good luck if you do contact the police .... far too many people use their phones without a headset!!

DreamsOfSteam Tue 20-Sep-11 14:58:45

Report it, she may already have a record of this kind of driving. Even if the police can't do anything now, it may be of use if she injures/kills someone in the future with this behaviour sad

Springyknickersohnovicars Tue 20-Sep-11 14:59:30

YANBU but there is nothing they can do and you would be wasting your time, there are no injuries and most of all no witnesses as it would be just your word against hers. I think you can write the to DVLA still and get her address from the registration no. You can also check on line to see if she's taxed.

It's supposed to be more dangerous to drive and talk on the phone than it is to drink and drive. Silly moo.

I hate passing cycles as to me on roads they are an accident waiting to happen, if anything I am overcautious waiting until I can swing right out to overtake them. You really do need eyes up your bum as a cyclist as whether you are right or wrong you are the one who gets hurt sadly to say.

ChaoticAngeloftheUnderworld Tue 20-Sep-11 14:59:36

I'd report her just in case she does knock someone else over. That way the incident will be logged and the police may be able to use it even if they don't do anything about it now.

squeezemebakingpowder Tue 20-Sep-11 15:08:06

I often wonder what can be so important that these people need to speak on the phone and still drive at the same time?

The amount of times I've encountered someone driving erratically only to then notice they're gabbing away merrily on their phones! Grrrr! angry

I think you should perhaps give her number plate to the police, they will probably do nothing with it yet, but they should log the complaint and you never know it could come back to bite her on the bum!


Awomancalledhorse Tue 20-Sep-11 15:14:23

Argh! I don't know how your local Police service works, but in the Met when someone reports a traffic incident they're given a traffic incident report form (a massive booklet, room to draw a picture of the incident and everything) which is sent off to the the relevent traffic department (again, don't know if this a Met exclusive thing, but it can take upto 6 months to investigate as they get so many & are so understaffed), and investigated from there.

Alternatively, you could dial 999 next time you see her; She's breaking the law, endangering lives & yanbu to phone the emergencey number (after all, it's there if you want to report a crime that's happening now).
Does your police service have a non-emergency number you could dial?

SwingingBetty Tue 20-Sep-11 15:52:21

definitely report her

dont know if you have 101 for non emergency calls but our force were urging people to make these type of reports on twitter the other day.

SwingingBetty Tue 20-Sep-11 15:54:00

not make the reports on twitter you understand but the police were tweeting asking people to report the offender on the 101 non emergency number

gets coat and shuffles off

Dawndonna Tue 20-Sep-11 15:56:05

Take a picture on your phone next time, then you have evidence.

oldraver Tue 20-Sep-11 16:04:08

Would they take any notice though ? I live at the end of a cul-de-sac in group of 7 housesaround a joint drive which slopes down. The 'middle' house ie the one straight facing the end of the drive has a young Mum of a toddler who without fail is on her phone every single farking time she arrives home.

She also drives to fast and you can hear her when she hits the curb and screeches to a halt on her gravel.

ConstanceNoring Tue 20-Sep-11 16:14:10

Our region's police encourage public reporting, we have 'operation crackdown' where you can report experiences of anti-social or dangerous driving.

Definitely report her - as others have said she may already have been reported by others and another report could be enough for the police to take action.

Pendeen Tue 20-Sep-11 16:14:14

If you don't report her then the police definitely will not be able to do anything.

minimisschief Tue 20-Sep-11 16:25:04

yanbu but the police cannot really prove what you are saying to be true unless they follow her and wait for her to do it again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: