Talk

Advanced search

In wanting to tell this dog owner to fuck off?

(45 Posts)
kerrymumbles Sat 10-Sep-11 19:06:26

dh was at the bottom of the estate helping ds2 play basketball. No hoop, just dribbling. very small estate. He was at the bottom of the road, only one house, end of terrace. Not bouncing ball against a wall, sometimes it hit a metal fence that was no where near anyone's house. He went here because this is where all the kids go to play ball as it is off the road and away from the houses and cars.

So a man comes out all intimidating and goes up into dh's face and says, I've got a dog going mad in the house. He's not used to hearing strange voices.

wtf?

and then he says and he hears the ball bouncing and is going mad with the barking.

so dh says, oh, okay, sorry.

then he walks away and thinks about it and says, did I just back down to that very unreasonable demand (not request) and the guy was very intimidating said dh.

mind you there are about 100 young kids on this very small estate who make an unbelievable racket all day and half the night. including his own. Including bouncing balls.

so dh goes back and knocks on the door and asks nicely, can you tell me exactly what is annoying the dog? Is it our voices or the fence? And the woman says, well the fence and he barks if he hears strangers. So dh says, we'll try not to hit the fence anymore.

I was shock when he told me this. Now aibu in thinking that if they have a dog that goes mad inside their own house when he hears a strange voice that's THEIR problem? dh was NOWHERE near their door and he wasn't shouting or anything (if so, I would have heard him)

They cannot do it in our own garden as no cement to bounce ball on and every other kid in the neighborhood is out there daily doing the same.

kerrymumbles Sat 10-Sep-11 19:06:55

shite dh kicking me off pc to watch tennis.

back later.

AtYourCervix Sat 10-Sep-11 19:08:43

I just read your first sentence and wondered which stately home you lived in and how big your 'estate' was.

grin

GypsyMoth Sat 10-Sep-11 19:08:52

Does he go out and confront the kids too? Ever?

BeerTricksPotter Sat 10-Sep-11 19:09:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

flack Sat 10-Sep-11 19:10:51

Dog Owner sounds unhinged, personally I would try to avoid (maybe not always successfully), you still have to live there in long run. Yes dog owner is very U, but is the area adjacent to fence near his property really the only or best place to bounce the ball?

kangers Sat 10-Sep-11 19:11:32

YANBU

DontGoCurly Sat 10-Sep-11 19:11:54

The owner sounds aggressive. The dog is probably highly strung if the man is aggressive. They probably have him trained as a guard dog. But he sounds neurotic if he is going mad at voices outside.

It's the owners problem, he shouldn't have taken it out on your husband. The world is full of strangers voices. However, he sounds a nasty piece of work so I wouldn't get on the wrong side of him.

reasonstobecheerful Sat 10-Sep-11 19:12:10

I've had multiple dogs in the past, none now, but it was always my job to ensure my dogs didn't annoy anyone around us in any way. You are not being unreasonable, it's their dog it's their problem and that's from a doglover.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sat 10-Sep-11 19:12:51

YANBU

But some dog owners are very precious about their animals <eye rolling emoticon>

kerrymumbles Sat 10-Sep-11 19:26:54

yes. he is very aggressive and I think he has a drink problem.

now I can understand that a yapping dog who won't shut up would drive anyone round the bend but surely it is their responsiblity to train the dog.

they never ever take it for walks.

i'm sure he gives out to the kids as well. i know their bully of a son is always telling the kids to piss off because the dog is going mad

BeerTricksPotter Sat 10-Sep-11 19:31:37

DogsBestFriend Sat 10-Sep-11 20:00:21

Man's a prat. He can't stop locals talking and doing normal things just because he is unwilling or unable to train HIS dog.

Poor bloody dog. sad

Birdsgottafly Sat 10-Sep-11 21:01:03

If he has a drink problem that may well be behind it.

However, my previous male dog would never responded to children in the street but would bark if a man was by my house, they can smell the difference between adults, men, women and children.

Adult men make more noise than children when kicking/throwing a ball, so he might have a point. He could make a complaint to the council, i doubt adults are allowed to play ball games in the street by people's houses, are there no parks near by?

He might just be trying to discourage the adults joining in with what could be a nuisance, as it is.

kerrymumbles Sat 10-Sep-11 21:03:35

trust me dh does not make more noise than ANY of the kids on the estate.

it is not even near his house. his house is 2 doors in from the bottom of the road. dh was just helping ds2 to practise, not going crazy or anything

kerrymumbles Sat 10-Sep-11 21:03:59

do you really think i should report dog?

Birdsgottafly Sat 10-Sep-11 21:11:54

All i am saying is that dogs respond to what they perceive as not normal behaviour and a man running about in the street, isn't usual. My dog would also sometimes react when he thought an adult was trying to catch/hurt a child, he was just very protective. Dogs don't hear in the same way that we do, it may not sound louder to us but there is a difference in vibration, depending on how heavy you are.

I would see if it happens again, but if people are being disturbed by someone in the street, not in their own path, they have a right to complain.

Birdsgottafly Sat 10-Sep-11 21:14:24

What would you report the dog for? Protecting it's territory.

The council will respond to ball games in the street, quicker, whilst the children may be able to play, they won't allow adults to, so bare that in mind.

Stormwater Sat 10-Sep-11 21:22:11

Maybe the bloke's just pissed off because everyone always plays outside his house not elsewhere. Isn't there a park the kids and your dh can go to? Must be a pain in the arse, for him and his dog!

kerrymumbles Sat 10-Sep-11 21:25:10

there is no park. it is a very small estate FILLED with kids. INCLUDING his own. I'd really like to see how far the council would get coming out here and telling the kids they can't play ball in the street.

Are you for real?

and it ISN'T outside his house. that's the point. it's at the end and around the corner.

if he can't control his dog then that is HIS problem. They never walk the dog. they haven't trained it at all.

if he doesn't want any noise from the street (reasonable, daylight noise, not blasting music, loud machines, etc.) then he should live in the country. ffs.

kerrymumbles Sat 10-Sep-11 21:27:19

as it is a very small estate the kids play EVERYWHERE on the estate. INCLUDING out the front of mine. The next door's have a basetball hoop that I listen to most of the time. i couldn't give a shite. I'm certainly no going to go out in a threatening manner and intimidate the neighbor or the kids.

mummymccar Sat 10-Sep-11 21:27:23

Dog owner was being completely unreasonable. Two of my cats are terrified of people. Yesterday my neighbours had visitors, cats started growling and hissing from the window. I moved them both away from the window and gave them some treats to calm them down. I'd have looked unhinged telling my neighbours they had to send their visitors away because my cats were upset! It is my choice to have the cats, they are my responsibility and so my problem; nobody elses. Shame the dog owner doesn't think the same!

kerrymumbles Sat 10-Sep-11 21:28:20

each and every house on the estate has a VERY small garden. the green area is no bigger than a couple of cars. the kids have no place to play. everyone on the estate knows it and no one is an arsehole about it

Stormwater Sat 10-Sep-11 21:30:34

Of course I'm for real. It was a suggestion, and a question. But if there is no park, and it's not next to his house, and the kids play everywhere, and he doesn't walk or train his dog, then he is a knob.

BeerTricksPotter Sat 10-Sep-11 21:56:39

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now