Talk

Advanced search

to want to take the apples from this garden?

(35 Posts)
PeggyCarter Thu 08-Sep-11 12:46:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

goodtimesarecoming Thu 08-Sep-11 12:47:49

Just knock on the door and ask, they'll probably just give you loads for free, I know I do, I have three apple trees and can't eat all the apples!

fanjobanjowanjo Thu 08-Sep-11 12:48:38

Not at all, go for it!

amistillsexy Thu 08-Sep-11 12:51:10

They are probably sitting there feeling guilty that all those apples are going to waste because they don't have time to process them!
Even if they fall to the ground and rot, they won't have 'rotted down' by next summer, when they want to use their lawn, so still need to be picked up!

Go for it! Call it your neighbourly good turn!
grin

sausagesandmarmelade Thu 08-Sep-11 12:53:48

Go on then....knock and ask!

They can only say no!

dirtydishesmakemesad Thu 08-Sep-11 12:56:03

my next door neighbour has a massive apple tree full of apples, every year they just let them fall to the ground and rot. Not point asking they are not nice people. There are a few branches that overhang our garden that i do shake to get the apples to fall into our garden, to me if it falls in my garden then it must be my apple grin

sausagesandmarmelade Thu 08-Sep-11 12:58:14

If it falls in your garden then it's definitely your apple...

I don't understand our neighbours. They have a lovely big garden with damson trees and it's a right state. They never use the fruits...which just go to waste.

PeggyCarter Thu 08-Sep-11 13:00:04

PeggyCarter Thu 08-Sep-11 13:02:57

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 08-Sep-11 13:04:02

my mum gives away bucket loads of apple every year as we just can't get though them.

would love to be able to buy a fruit crusher and make cider.

op knock on the door

MotherOfSuburbia Thu 08-Sep-11 13:08:44

Come and have some of mine! We have literally thousands of the buggers and I can't pick them up fast enough to stop them rotting all over the place. Every Autumn is like Apple hell around here! We make Apple juice, pie, crumble, jelly etc but can't keep up. I get to the point where the thought of looking at another apple makes me want to scream!

ScarletLady01 Thu 08-Sep-11 13:11:14

I'd ask for sure! I've had fruit trees in the past and you end up with so much excess most of the time they'd probably be glad of it.

iphonedrone Thu 08-Sep-11 13:13:09

I love people asking for our apples, we never use 50% of them and i'm sick of them rotting on the floor

BallerinaBetty Thu 08-Sep-11 17:15:43

This made me smile as our next door neighbours have two lovely apple trees right next to our border - my four year old has taken to standing watching the trees in case any of the lovely apples fall onto our side. Give her a few years and she'll be shaking the tree won't she?

saladfingers Thu 08-Sep-11 17:52:23

We have soooo many apples I would love you to knock on my door! You wouldn't be in south wales by any chance?? I'm not selling just trying to give them away! I hate waste but there are only so many i can use.

PeggyCarter Thu 08-Sep-11 18:17:34

mumnotmachine Thu 08-Sep-11 18:23:42

Im in South Wales salad!!!
Do you belong to Freecycle?
If you have a massive glut of apples going to waste advertise them on there, people will always be glad of them!

mumnotmachine Thu 08-Sep-11 18:25:08

They will even bring their own buckets and pick them too!
**Gets bucket ready, and hopes that salad is near me**

aldiwhore Thu 08-Sep-11 18:54:39

I have damnsons, apples and pears in my garden, you're welcome to them - my storecupboard is full of jam, chutney and gin.

Ask first though, the neighbours might actually shoot you if they spot you lurking in my back garden. smile

Knock and ask. If it's my house I will come out and help you pick them. I hate how many apples we waste!

PeggyCarter Thu 08-Sep-11 19:06:51

saladfingers Thu 08-Sep-11 19:21:13

I moved from sussex back to south wales thejoyfulpuddlejumper!
Good idea about freecycle

flack Thu 08-Sep-11 19:24:22

My neighbours do this every year; I have asked several times but they say no, they "do eat them". Only they don't, I'd say 85% rot on the ground. It's in their front garden, on the edge of the road, so it's not like I'd be invading their space to go harvest (they have teenage offspring with frequent visitors, too). confused.

mumnotmachine Thu 08-Sep-11 19:38:23

*Off to check freecycle ads*

NorkyButNice Thu 08-Sep-11 19:40:59

We have apples and pears in our garden - the local fox family snaffle the ones that fall to the ground, but anyone on London/Kent Borders is welcome to come and pick them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now