Talk

Advanced search

to prefer St Clare's to Malory Towers?

(91 Posts)
Olivetti Sat 30-Jul-11 21:41:18

I love both of them,but for some reason St Clare's has always had the edge for me. So why does Malory Towers get all the fame and glory?

lorelilee Sat 30-Jul-11 21:43:45

Mallory Towers all the way for me. Daryll, Gwendoline Mary et all....

lorelilee Sat 30-Jul-11 21:44:25

oops, yes, YABU smile

starrychime Sat 30-Jul-11 21:45:02

Yes you are BU. For some reason Marlory Towers always had the edge. There was something about St Clare's that made it my secondary choice. In fact I have a bin bag full of my old books in my hall that I cleared out of my mum's house recently - among them are several Marlory Towers/St Clare's books that must be at least 45 years old - would I be unreasonable to start reading them again and try and figure out what the difference might be?

faverolles Sat 30-Jul-11 21:45:26

YABU I'm afraid. Malory Towers is much better.

2shoes Sat 30-Jul-11 21:46:14

yabu
the naughtiest girl is better

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 30-Jul-11 21:47:12

Did somebody call? smile

St Clare's was all very well but the twins never did it for me. Who was my equivalent? I can never remember and there must have been one.

starrychime Sat 30-Jul-11 21:47:41

Oh - I have one of those in my bag (Naughtiest Girl)!! Also Two Joans at the Abbey and The Abbey Girls at Home - these look very old fashioned!

Olivetti Sat 30-Jul-11 21:48:06

No no nooooo!
For me,St Clare's always had an air of mystery. For example, why were there 3 books for each term of the first year, and then no third or sixth forms? Why were the first two all about the twins, when afterwards they more or less disappear? WHERE was St Clare's?
Malory Towers just a bit too perfect for my liking! grin

Olivetti Sat 30-Jul-11 21:49:57

Gwen! I think there were a series of baddies in St Clare's, not just one!
First year: Sheila, Erica, Prudence (by term)
Second year: Elsie
Fourth year: Angela
Fifth year: Alma/Mirabel

curlycat Sat 30-Jul-11 21:50:16

just got the full set of malory towers for my dd (11) - i loved them don't know what she'll think of them though. liked them much better than st clares.

what about famous five 'v' secret seven?

WhipMeIndiana Sat 30-Jul-11 21:51:06

didnt this thread happen last week?

Olivetti Sat 30-Jul-11 21:51:46

oooh don't know, didn't see it.
Famous Five beat Secret Seven hands down!

WhipMeIndiana Sat 30-Jul-11 21:52:00

Pat and isobel were dullards compared to reckless Darrell and her annoyingly popular sister Felicity

WhipMeIndiana Sat 30-Jul-11 21:52:49

agree the five beat the secret 7 - was one of them Barbara? and Colin?
can anyone name the 7?

BitOfFun Sat 30-Jul-11 21:55:09

I much prefer Malory Towers. You go through the whole school with Darrell and have an emotional investment in her, in a way that just doesn't happen with any character in St. Clare's.

Olivetti Sat 30-Jul-11 21:55:36

Erm...
One was definitely Barbara
Peter?
Janet ?
George?
The dog??

BitOfFun Sat 30-Jul-11 21:56:21

I can't name a single member of the Secret Seven, though I read them all. The Five Find-Outers was pretty special though. Good old Fatty.

WhipMeIndiana Sat 30-Jul-11 21:56:31

felt sick when Darrell slapped Sally so hard she gave her ruddy appendicitis
that kind of shit used to happen to me loads as a young gel.

BitOfFun Sat 30-Jul-11 21:57:05

The dog was a springer spaniel, I think. I remember that much.

WhipMeIndiana Sat 30-Jul-11 21:57:33

Alicia was the coolest girl, she could juggle and get top marks without even studying.
<rolemodel>

BitOfFun Sat 30-Jul-11 21:58:02

She shoved her into the piano too, WhipMe, I think.

WhipMeIndiana Sat 30-Jul-11 21:58:31

she was even the ruddy demon in the school play wasn't she? everyomne else was studying hard for Highers and she was pissing around with coloured balls. and her equally cool friend Betty.

pestroid Sat 30-Jul-11 21:58:33

Starrychime, dd (16) and I have just sorted a big bag of books out for my 8 yr old neice. Before I gave the books to Dn, I re read all of them, including Malory Towers, St Claires, Far Away Tree, Secret Seven etc.
Now In my case WIBU to ask my neice if I can borrow her malory towers books the new style ones about Felicity and June. blush

BitOfFun Sat 30-Jul-11 21:59:06

I loved Alicia. I always remember that Miss Potts knew her wild tongue, oo-er.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now