Talk

Advanced search

Irresponsible cat breeding, is there anything we can do?

(36 Posts)
Reality Mon 25-Jul-11 15:02:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 25-Jul-11 15:04:38

RSPCA will step in and take a look if you explain.

Kladdkaka Mon 25-Jul-11 15:07:25

I have a friend who had a very irresponsible cat owner in her street. She used to grab the cats when she saw them and nobody was looking and turn them in to the local cat rescue. Not that I'm suggesting you do the same or anything.

Reality Mon 25-Jul-11 15:09:45

Ormirian Mon 25-Jul-11 15:10:46

Oh I know! Those bloody cats have no common sense and the moral of ...well, alley cats!

grin

But I don't know what you can do TBH. The owners are very irresponsible and lazy but I don't know what to suggest. I know people on here don't always rate the RSPCA but perhaps a call to them for advice to start with?

sleepindogz Mon 25-Jul-11 15:11:52

i think there is somewhere that does spaying free - maybe pdsa or similar? but tbh she probably wouldnt bother if it were free or not if she is that way inclined.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Mon 25-Jul-11 15:12:50

Cat Protection League in my area do a voucher scheme where it costs £5 to have a cat neutered/spayed. Might be worth looking into that in your area. Though if she is that stupid, I would second the rounding them up and taking them to the shelter approach as if she can't afford to neuter them they'll not be chipped eithersad

AmyStake Mon 25-Jul-11 15:13:21

Please call the RSPCA.

Alternatively do you live near a Blue Cross Animal Hospital/PDSA vets? Could you offer to take your neighbour's cat to either of those? I think they spay for free or greatly reduced prices.

Just had a quick look, the Cats Protection are also doing free or £5 neutering in certain areas if you qualify.

Callisto Mon 25-Jul-11 15:15:28

RSPCA will do nothing, they are useless. Cats Protection may help and will certainly advise. Otherwise call the environmental health/police/SS - her child should not be living in such conditions even if she chooses to.

Reality Mon 25-Jul-11 15:17:27

zukiecat Mon 25-Jul-11 15:20:48

issey6cats Mon 25-Jul-11 15:22:39

definitely get in touch with the rescues in your area and hate saying this but yes the rspca aswell, my daughters neighbour was like this woman, she got in touch with cats protection and what they did was arranged a day to pick up the cats, my daughter lured them into her house while he was out, the cats protection picked them up and to this day the neighbour does not know where his cats vanished to, sounds sneaky and not nice on him, but the mom cat had five litters one after another, by the fifth the kits were coming out dead or deformed and it was for the cats good, she is now living somewhere where she is cared about, and so are the two daughters he kept, all of us did the pleas to hm to get the cats spayed but no way was he going to so drastic measures were needed

catsareevil Mon 25-Jul-11 15:23:45

Is the house owned or rented? If rented then whoever owns the property may be interested if it is affecting the house.

Reality Mon 25-Jul-11 15:26:12

manicbmc Mon 25-Jul-11 15:28:53

Environmental health and cat's protection is the way to go I think.

issey6cats Mon 25-Jul-11 15:33:26

i think the fact theres cat shit all over the house will be grounds alone for the rspca going in they have more powers to remove animals now even if they only remove the mom and kits at least thats 8 cats that will get spayed rehomed and have a better life, what they will probably do is advise her to get the two daughters spayed and if she dosent they will probably remove them at a later date

LineRunner Mon 25-Jul-11 15:38:59

Bloody hell. RSPCA. Please.

A vet will spay a cat at risk of getting pregnant again even if it's still lactating (i.e. if there's a big kitten still in its vicinity), and young cats from 6 months.

There's really no excuse.

issey6cats Mon 25-Jul-11 15:40:35

also if the rspaca dont do anything and you have to go the rescue center and snatch route get them on the waiting list first as all rescues have long waiting lists now and it wont be a case of snatch cat take to rescue you would have to time the snatch to them having a free place and inform the rescue center what you would be doing, also if there loads of cats in a house they dont get the attention they should and if not handled early enough become lifelong cats that are not human friendly so if they go to a center are harder to rehome because everyone wants an approachble cat ideally, sorry on me soap box, i work at a rescue center so see all sides of cat life

issey6cats Mon 25-Jul-11 15:42:27

linerunner our vet will spay kittens from ten weeks or 2kgs wheight and a lot of vets are coming round to this way of thinking get em before they turn into potential moms and dads what they aint had they dont miss

manicbmc Mon 25-Jul-11 15:42:31

My cat is evil. I got her from a rescue centre. grin

It's not her fault though and she's getting better, bless her.

issey6cats Mon 25-Jul-11 15:45:16

manic i have6 cats (all spayed and neutered ) and two of mine are called grumpy gus (aka treacle) and victor meldrew (aka whiskey) but i love them just as much as the friendlier cats

DogsBestFriend Mon 25-Jul-11 15:45:44

issey, I'd do the same. My reaction would be to remove the cats from the cruel bugger and rehome them responsibly via a reputable rescue, who will have them spayed/neutered before rehoming.

PlentyOfPubgardens Mon 25-Jul-11 15:47:08

If you're in London or East Sussex, Celia Hammond Animal Trust might be able to help.

DogsBestFriend Mon 25-Jul-11 15:48:42

Sorry, that last bit was to the OP, not to issey, who I know doesn't need telling about cat rescue! blush

manicbmc Mon 25-Jul-11 15:49:53

She's friendly but vicious. But she's part of the family now and she had an awful start in life.

Hope those poor cats get sorted out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now