Talk

Advanced search

to prioritize dps birthday over random kids birthdays.

(117 Posts)
TheSecondComing Tue 05-Jul-11 16:13:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YANBU.

Bicnod Tue 05-Jul-11 16:15:51

YANBU and her text was very rude - did you respond?!

chicletteeth Tue 05-Jul-11 16:15:59

Why does it have to take out a whole day?
Surely you have the time before the party, and errrr, after the party?

It's only two hours.

What is your real reason for not taking her?

greycircles Tue 05-Jul-11 16:16:17

YANBU. Next time, don't tell people why you can't come.

You can simply say, "thanks very much for the invite, unfortunately we can't make it, have a lovely party".

feckwit Tue 05-Jul-11 16:16:45

YANBU but the woman who texted the reply is being VU! How rude!

chicletteeth Tue 05-Jul-11 16:17:21

The other mothers text was rude by the way, and YANBU for not going but I still don't get why a 2 hour party mean the whole day is gone

BimboNo5 Tue 05-Jul-11 16:19:14

Does your child get a say in whether they go to the parties or not? It may not be your idea of a fun way to spend two hours but what about what they want?

FoxyRevenger Tue 05-Jul-11 16:19:14

Love 'you made the same excuse last year'

Well what with birthdays being on the same date each year hmm

I would have done the same. On my husband's birthday we went to a first birthday party and it does take up the whole day. Party from 1-4, naps before and after...

YANBU

IslaValargeone Tue 05-Jul-11 16:20:05

Christ, how bloody rude! Her not you.
Agree with greycircles re not giving reasons, there's no way I'd be justifying non attendance of a 4 year old's birthday party especially if they are pretty random 'friendships'.

charliejosh Tue 05-Jul-11 16:20:09

YANBU - childrens parties being 1-3pm or 2-4pm irritate me anyway....why not have the party at 11am so people can at least do something afterwards

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Tue 05-Jul-11 16:20:45

Yeah cause there's only 51 other weeks of the year, what she means is her poor dd missing out on your present!

TheSecondComing Tue 05-Jul-11 16:22:32

BimboNo5 Tue 05-Jul-11 16:22:37

OP says she has declined 'most of these parties' surely her DP doesnt have a birthday on the same day as ALL the party days?

TheOriginalFAB Tue 05-Jul-11 16:22:41

YANBU. I love it when mine don't want to go to a party as then I dont' have to find money for a gift.

YANBU - I dont blame you at all - she sounds bloody rude.

Honestly, some people would go to the opening of an envelope but we only accept party invitations if they are "proper" friends of DS otherwise we'd spend our whole life in a church hall confused

Allinabinbag Tue 05-Jul-11 16:24:46

I have drawn a line about parties, if it's a good friend, we go or give a gift and have tea with them, if it's a more peripheral friend/class invite, we go if it's convenient, but if it clashes with classes (which I have paid for, such as swimming or ballet) or another big event (family member's birthday) we don't go otherwise our entire lives would involve going to birthday parties of small children and could not include normal activities! I don't think it's unreasonable to decline a party invite for any reason, as long as you remember to let them know.

TheSecondComing Tue 05-Jul-11 16:27:40

starfishmummy Tue 05-Jul-11 16:28:01

YANBU

oohjarWhatsit Tue 05-Jul-11 16:31:29

i'd say a little bit weird, a little bit lazy smile

eurochick Tue 05-Jul-11 16:33:49

YANBU. You don't have to go if you don't want to.

I think I'd reply "funnily enough, it will be his birthday this time next year too and I expect dd2 will enjoy celebrating it with her family".

Tanif Tue 05-Jul-11 16:34:44

'You made this excuse last year'.... Would have sent back a text with a photo of DP's birth certificate attached and 'funnily enough, it's not like Easter...'

'lazy' WTF?

TSC you are not being weird at all. Family plans should override parties that one very young child is invited to.

ginnybag Tue 05-Jul-11 16:36:46

Dear God, your DS is One already...

You don't know me from adam, mind, but I recall seeing you post thirty.nine.weeks in reply to something, and snorting coffee up my nose at the style!

Sorry, randomness, I know...

TheSecondComing Tue 05-Jul-11 16:40:53

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now