Advanced search

to ask why people with no children and not ttc come on MN

(105 Posts)
AuntiePickleBottom Tue 21-Jun-11 21:53:53

i hope that don't sound nasty, just generally curious

SuePurblybilt Tue 21-Jun-11 21:54:30

Cos we is marvellous, innit.

troisgarcons Tue 21-Jun-11 21:55:27

is it anything to do with the bill boards for Lidl saying 'mumsnet voted us best' ?

Mamaz0n Tue 21-Jun-11 21:55:36

because there is actually really little "baby talk" and instead is a chat forum populated with adult mostly female intellectual posters.

Why shouldn't they be here?

Alambil Tue 21-Jun-11 21:55:45

cos they work with children, like children, are interested in children's development, cos it's a nice board that doesn't discriminate?

Portofino Tue 21-Jun-11 21:56:10

Cos it's fun!

quirrelquarrel Tue 21-Jun-11 21:57:15

I'm lots younger than most of you, def no kids! But people are smart and funny grin so that's why I started coming on here. Different perspectives etc.

Actually I posted a bit when I was 13. Looks different now.

IgnoringTheChildren Tue 21-Jun-11 21:58:22

I would be lurking on AIBU even if I didn't have children for the pure joy of reading the more interesting bumsex plus threads. grin

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Tue 21-Jun-11 21:58:43

I also sometimes wonder why men come on here. I don't mind, but I personally would hate to go on a men's forum and listen to a load of blokes talking about football and wanking or whatever they talk about. Can't understand why a bloke would want to come on here and join in with us load of fishwives "tmi"ing about our ladybits and such!

I joined MN when I was pg and you're right - I had heard of it (talk about how catty it was!) but probably wouldn't have come on here before!

AuntiePickleBottom Tue 21-Jun-11 21:58:50

no reason why they shouldn't be here, just curious

DogsBestFriend Tue 21-Jun-11 21:58:50

Cos there are lots of topics discussed from cats and dogs to gardening and politics and cos those without DC still have a lot to offer in child related topics? After all, they have to experience children and their education/behaviour etc in everyday life!

nannyl Tue 21-Jun-11 21:59:14

I used to only really read the CM / nanny thread..

until i was ttc... now pg!

SlackSally Tue 21-Jun-11 21:59:55

I am a teacher, and plan to TTC relatively soon. As a teacher, a parent's perspective is useful and interesting to know. Plus I can (hopefully) give advice on some specific educationally-inclined queries.

FreudianSlipper Tue 21-Jun-11 22:08:46

maybe they just wondered on here having heard so much and stayed because they enjoy the chats/debates

i tend to stay away from ones about children, bf/ff, yadda yadda yadda as i find them boring i am only really interested in my child grin

AliceWhirled Tue 21-Jun-11 22:11:45

Cos it's the only women dominated space I know of. It is so different to be able to speak in a place dominated by women.

Salty language.

Outrageous opinions...and language.

Screamingly funny posts...and language.

"Off you fuck then, cuntychops" has become my personal motto.

ZillionChocolate Tue 21-Jun-11 22:13:05

My friend (with a child) set me on to the bitchfest that is AIBU. I never look at anything else.

madonnawhore Tue 21-Jun-11 22:16:24

This might sound a bit soppy but my mum was rubbish, an alcoholic all my life pretty much, and now she is dead. So when I want a grown-up female opinion on something (usually on relationships!) then I come here. I can ask the women here stuff that I would ask a mum if I had one IYSWIM?

There are so many clever, funny and wise people on here. It's good company.

Empusa Tue 21-Jun-11 22:19:59

Was TTC. Joined as a search showed there was really good info on TTC on here. Had to stop TTC.

Realised that I've never found another forum which is mainly female and on which I can discuss anything and everything. So didn't leave.

Plus, with a history of depression, it's one of the few places where I can still find a friendly voice at 3am when the black dog is clawing at me.

redexpat Tue 21-Jun-11 22:23:52

Facebook got old!

Alconleigh Tue 21-Jun-11 22:24:49

AIBU lured me in, then Chat, then Relationships and occasionally a spot of Telly Addicts. No kids, very unlikely that will ever change, but the combination of humour, wisdom and truly creative swearing has me hooked.

TheFarSide Tue 21-Jun-11 22:27:20

A year and a half ago I googled 'kitchen recommendations' and the rest is history.

Sometimes I read the threads about childbirth, rectoceles, etc, with prurient interest but mainly I avoid anything child-related.

TastesLikePanda Tue 21-Jun-11 22:28:23

Because I work with babies and toddlers and was scared to ttc because I thought I'd be a shit mum... came here to find out about the 'realities' of being a parent.

Stayed for the swearing and laughs.

and am now stealing 'off you fuck then, cuntychops' as my very own faveourite insult

hephaestus Tue 21-Jun-11 22:42:35

Because you are all loons, it's entertaining to read and serves as a reminder of why I don't have kids.

leftblank Tue 21-Jun-11 22:43:43

Totally agree cuttingpicasso! Funniest line I've read in ages!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now