Talk

Advanced search

To change dds school less than a year after she moved here :(

(20 Posts)
veritythebrave Thu 16-Jun-11 10:00:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

swash Thu 16-Jun-11 10:05:47

Sounds truly awful - can't believe that is a school you have to pay for. Better to move than put up with it, and that is what your dd wants.

veritythebrave Thu 16-Jun-11 10:08:24

chumpion Thu 16-Jun-11 10:08:53

Your dd sounds very similar to my ds, I have no advice re: school other than if she is so unhappy take her out.

Has she been assessed by an OT for sensory processing disorder? some of the things you are describing sound very like it.

Good Luck

redskyatnight Thu 16-Jun-11 10:09:04

My reponse to your title was to say "Of course you shouldn't move her again" but having read your account your school sounds truly awful. I'd be doing whatever it takes (including moving house) to get her somewhere - anywhere - better.

veritythebrave Thu 16-Jun-11 10:13:44

LIZS Thu 16-Jun-11 10:16:40

I responded on your other thread . Move her and have her assessed properly to get the support she needs. The school sounds poorly orgnaised and underresourced and she is not getting the specific attention you had expected.

MrsTwinks Thu 16-Jun-11 10:21:04

If she's unhappy and not learning move her. It sounds to me that to keep her there would be more detrimental than another move

Ishani Thu 16-Jun-11 10:25:28

I do not believe that moving schools is detrimental not compared to sitting in misery for weeks on end, nobody learns anything that way.
If it was a workplace environment would you put up with it or would you find another job, that is how I have always considered these things.

bubblecoral Thu 16-Jun-11 10:28:11

What are your options, where would you move her too?

Moving her out of an environment that she is unhappy in and that is providing her with no stability seems like the most sensible option, but that does depend on where she would be going if she left.

Reallyneedajob Thu 16-Jun-11 10:28:59

Poor thing, I really feel for her. My instincts would be to take her out and home educate her, but if you work then I suppose that wouldn't be possible. Shame you don't live near me. I'm a teacher who can't find a job and would love one nice little girl to teach! I don't know if there's a home educating network near you? There might be someone who teaches at home and would have your child each day as well for a bit of a fee?

veritythebrave Thu 16-Jun-11 10:34:47

dutchyoriginal Thu 16-Jun-11 10:37:32

Normally, I'd say no more moving, more stability. However, she's not getting stability in this school. It sounds like she's been in 2-3 classes and with 2-3 teachers in this school within one year! On top of that, she's not being taught on her level. Yes, a school could mix groups, but only if they have good quality teachers who can easily adapt to each level. What are the other options in your area?

lordsugarslovechild Thu 16-Jun-11 10:43:03

No advice, sorry. Just really feel for you both. Good Luck.

startail Thu 16-Jun-11 10:45:44

Cross post this to special needs, someone there may have experience in getting the LEA to properly assess your DDs needs.

howabout Thu 16-Jun-11 10:46:00

Do you have the option to move to a bigger school with more than one class group for each year? My DDs have this set up and it seems to give the school more flexibility/resource to cope with the varying needs of the children. Also as there are more staff and pupils the impact of anyone leaving is less.
I deliberately chose poorer area with smaller class sizes over the equidistant posher but oversubscribed option and have never regretted it.

Miggsie Thu 16-Jun-11 10:47:32

That school sounds totally dreadful, I wouldn't pay for that. I'd ask the head what on earth they thought they were doing and how to tackle it, but I'd pull her out.

She sounds like she needs a statement about sensory issues, then you can get the LEA to place her in the most appropriate school fo rher needs. Nothing wrong with moving a child to get them the right school. Affter all, you cannot really tell if a school is right till you are in it, and this school sounds terrible. I suspect they are in finacial difficulties as well.

veritythebrave Thu 16-Jun-11 10:51:23

LIZS Thu 16-Jun-11 12:43:08

In that case definitely move before they are forced to close and you get elft with no place anywhere at short notice. Is the rc school a viable option for you ? She will probably find the noise and everyday bustle an issue in many places and to an extent she need to desensitise a little by exposure to such situations but that can be done in a controlled and gradual way if the school are supportive and she has a accepted way of handling it when overwhelmed. ds used to find the noise at swimming pools trickly but has got used to it over time. Back to original point, she is far from thriving where she is and deserves a chance to do so elsewhere. You need to give it to her.

mummytime Thu 16-Jun-11 13:05:05

I wouldn't necessarily rule out any school eg. "howabout DD would not cope in a two form entry school, thats the set up she was in before and it was too "loud" and busy."
As different schools are very different. I know 2 form entry schools which are very noisy and busy, which are open plan or through plan, others are much quieter. Some noisy schools have lots of staff so some children cope who have issues with noise.
Go and look, but it would be wise to make sure a) children from her new school will be going to senior school with her b) it can meet her needs.

If you can homeschool for a while that is a good reason to definitely not go for any school which is really not suitable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now