Talk

Advanced search

to think that taking a Nursery School child out of school during term time for a holiday

(48 Posts)
akaEmmaFrost Wed 15-Jun-11 17:14:06

is not actually a big deal really?

Seeing as legally she doesn't even have to be there anyway?

What do we think abou this?

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Wed 15-Jun-11 17:19:38

I fully intend on doing so, sorry if its against anyones moral compass but a couple of days when technically she could just be at home with me until Sept 2012 is not going to make the blindest bit of difference.

SuePurblybilt Wed 15-Jun-11 17:21:15

Yup, it's fine. Might be polite to let them know but no big deal either way.
I'm doing it now as I won't be able to next year.

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 15-Jun-11 17:21:44

Not a big deal IMO

squeakytoy Wed 15-Jun-11 17:22:18

It is nursery, not education, so of course it is fine.

AuntieMonica Wed 15-Jun-11 17:22:43

it's no big deal, just done it myself

why do you ask?

MrsSatsuma Wed 15-Jun-11 17:23:15

As a teacher I may get flamed for this but I really don't think that's a big problem. Definitely let them know but I don't think they'll miss any exams... smile

notsoqueenofclean Wed 15-Jun-11 17:23:20

"It's nursery, not education..."? hmm

usualsuspect Wed 15-Jun-11 17:23:38

No big deal

Pancakeflipper Wed 15-Jun-11 17:23:56

We did it. Lots of times. Joy of nursery age - cheaper hols. Never taken my son out of school for a holiday though.

TheFlyingOnion Wed 15-Jun-11 17:25:40

Nursery? No problem at all imo (teacher)

bubblecoral Wed 15-Jun-11 17:28:42

Nursery Education is very much education! Or would you prefer your child to be looked after by someone who teaches them absolutely nothing squeakytoy?

I wouldn't have a problem at all with a child being taken out of nursery for a holiday, and I work in a nursery where we all work very hard to educate the children. In fact, I would actively encourage doing it while you can, because personally, I don't agree with it when formal school starts.

But nursery is so taylored to each individual child, they won't be missing anything that they can't be taught later.

akaEmmaFrost Wed 15-Jun-11 17:30:02

I am asking as I have been previously warned by Head Teacher that it is not really acceptable and next time it will be recorded as "unauthorised absence". It is a Primary School Nursery if that makes any difference.

LunaticFringe Wed 15-Jun-11 17:32:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AuntieMonica Wed 15-Jun-11 17:34:31

it may well be educational, but it's not compulsary so IMO the head teacher is being a bit snitty and pompous, chucking her weight around a bit.

DD is in an attached nursery too btw

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Wed 15-Jun-11 17:36:03

Emma - hmm this is nursery and not reception non? I don't think they have a legal right to do it but I suppose if you are in a highly desirable catchment area it could be used against you but again am not sure why confused

Lorelai Wed 15-Jun-11 17:37:03

Next time she tells you it will be recorded as unauthorised absence, just say 'so what?' - there can't be any consequences for you - might look bad in the school's figures but that's hardly your problem hmm

akaEmmaFrost Wed 15-Jun-11 17:37:17

Definitely nursery, she goes up to Reception in September.

akaEmmaFrost Wed 15-Jun-11 17:38:28

And definitely not Highly Desirable either. Though a good school, she already has a place confirmed for September and Year One etc.

fedupofnamechanging Wed 15-Jun-11 17:39:05

Seeing as you have no legal obligation to send your child to nursery, then the HT can record what they like and it doesn't mean jack. If he/she does record it as unauthorised, then challenge it.

Even if your child was in full time school, there is no legal obligation for him/her to be there. It would be your right to home educate, should you wish.

I

cookcleanerchaufferetc Wed 15-Jun-11 17:39:27

I take mine out of primary school!

muminthecity Wed 15-Jun-11 17:40:07

Not a problem at all, I did this a few times, always let the Nursery Leader know well in advance, she never had a problem with it.

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Wed 15-Jun-11 17:41:35

I'd tell her where to poke it tbh, and challenge if it ever comes up. A friend who is divorced took her ds out of nursery at a private nursery (no contribution from exh) and dh threatened her loads and wrote to the school etc. His solicitor told him where to shove it, not hers.

Sidge Wed 15-Jun-11 17:42:37

I have had 3 children all go through pre-school and their attendance isn't even recorded, beyond the fire/attendance register that is completed daily.

What are they going to do if she misses a fortnight of pre-school? Fine you? hmm

pfbornot Wed 15-Jun-11 17:47:14

I think that it's not really about missing education at nursery age. They are so little anyway.

It's about you as a parent signing your child up to be part of a school nursery and agreeing to the school rules. Personally, I didn't take either of mine out of school nursery for holidays because I respected the rules of the school.

Of course the head has no legal right to insist that you attend - but the head makes rules for the school and parents should respect them IMO. I would hate to be a HT!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: