Talk

Advanced search

To dislike UABU/UANBU?

(18 Posts)
DaisyLovesMetronidazole Tue 07-Jun-11 13:10:03

I've seen a bit of it over time and assumed it was a typographical error, but lately it's cropping up more and more and I think it may be on purpose.

I am aware that this is a very petty niggle, but it does niggle.

Has anyone else noticed/been nothered by this?

AgentZigzag Tue 07-Jun-11 13:14:52

I was going to suggest you going to another part of the forum if you didn't like AIBU, but you mean using a 'U' instead of a 'Y'.

WTF does it matter?

'U' and 'You' make the same sound when spoken, it's not that hard to learn to substitute the 'You' when you see a 'U' <<sarcastic>>

Hardly the crime of the century.

DaisyLovesMetronidazole Tue 07-Jun-11 13:19:40

I never said it was the crime of the century. confused

I just dislike it in the same way that I dislike cheddar.

ooohyouareawfulbutilikeyou Tue 07-Jun-11 13:25:30

i dislike dd, ,dds,dss,ds, dss,abc,ntc,ttc,and all the other muppetry

Hassled Tue 07-Jun-11 13:28:07

I'm with you. The word You starts with a Y. So use a Y. In fact Y is marginally closer to the A you'll need to hit next so it's easier.

I dislike it in the way I dislike fried eggs.

ShowOfHands Tue 07-Jun-11 13:29:24

I dislike it in the way I dislike pate. Not as much as I dislike prawns but more than I dislike horseradish.

Happymm Tue 07-Jun-11 13:31:46

Thought this was going to be another Apocalypse thread grin

thursday Tue 07-Jun-11 13:32:31

yes, it's a petty niggle. yes it's a pointless change when it's already just typing one letter, it would probably make me think 'moron' BUT tbh, i think going to the trouble of starting thread after thread on here to chunter about these things equally moronic. find something worthwhile to get irritated about ffs!

DaisyLovesMetronidazole Tue 07-Jun-11 13:35:32

Thursday, I am perfectly irritated by many worthwhile things. smile

Thank you for your concern.

AgentZigzag Tue 07-Jun-11 13:39:15

I suppose I don't mind it in the way I don't mind tate salad, can take it or leave it, but I wouldn't think anything bad of the person serving it.

DaisyLovesMetronidazole Tue 07-Jun-11 13:40:16

And I wouldn't call starting a thread "trouble".

It's only a post with a title.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 07-Jun-11 13:40:51

YANBU. Putting txtspk into an acronym is silly. And you can't pronounce UABU as 'yah-boo' in the same way that you can with YABU.

AgentZigzag Tue 07-Jun-11 13:40:57

What would you recommend getting irritated about thursday?

I would suggest the looming school summer holidays, now there's a thing to get in a cold sweat about <<shudder>>

DaisyLovesMetronidazole Tue 07-Jun-11 13:40:59

grin I love all these food references.

ChaosTrulyReigns Tue 07-Jun-11 13:46:38

Logic bypass.

That's all I'm saying.

It doesn't make sense.

Acronyms are meant to be understood.

I do not want to stand there and work out what it means.

It smacks of the mentality of those who want to be unique at the expense of sensibleness.

ChaosTrulyReigns Tue 07-Jun-11 13:47:31

Oh and:

okra.

[bleugh]

backwardpossom Tue 07-Jun-11 13:49:12

It seems a bit daft right enough. Surely it should be URBU or YABU, but not a half-arsed amalgamation of the two.

thursday Tue 07-Jun-11 14:04:38

there's lots of worthwhile thing's to get irritated about! and i'd rather there was more threads like that than opening the third of fourth whinge of the day about spelling or abbreviations or inability to use punctuation etc. its boring! and yes, i realise i could just not respond.

please don't talk about summer holidays, he's only just gone back today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now