Talk

Advanced search

To not want DP to pick up DD (7 months) by the hands!?

(21 Posts)
greeneone12 Wed 01-Jun-11 19:44:18

Surely it's not good for her?!

culturemulcher Wed 01-Jun-11 19:48:27

I think babies actually have quite a lot of upper body strength - more than you'd think. I used to pick up DCs like this sometimes, and it hasn't done them any harm. I think if it feels uncomfortable she'll quickly let you know!

GypsyMoth Wed 01-Jun-11 19:49:53

why is it harmful then?? i'm sure all 5 of mine were picked up in all manner....they are all fine!!

and its his child too!

RitaMorgan Wed 01-Jun-11 19:54:36

No, not a good idea to pick children up or swing them round by their hands/arms as it's very easy to pull their elbows out.

Morebounceperounce Wed 01-Jun-11 19:55:42

Our Baby Sensory lady said to be careful doing this as small babies' shoulder, elbow and wrist joints aren't super strong and there was a risk of dislocation? Not sure if this is evidence based though.

280169 Wed 01-Jun-11 19:56:35

both mine used to love being picked up like this, we found out later ds has hypermobility and low tone, so supposedly prone to dislocation, it never happened though

Happymm Wed 01-Jun-11 19:57:58

Pulled elbow v common-have put many back in following this exact activitysad

GypsyMoth Wed 01-Jun-11 19:59:03

baby sensory lady??hmm

aldiwhore Wed 01-Jun-11 19:59:19

Gently... well I've done it. BUT you have to be soooo careful. My dad picked up my sister like this and did a bit of a gentle swing with her and dislocated her shoulder.

I think, and I am no professional, that gently lifting them to sitting position is probably lower risk than picking them up fully by the wrists and allowing them to 'dangle'.... not sure why though, I never let them dangle in midair because of what happened to my sister!

thenightsky Wed 01-Jun-11 20:00:51

Don't do it. DD ended up with a dislocated elbow 3 times in as many months. I didn't even pick her up, just pulled her into a sitting position.

Morebounceperounce Wed 01-Jun-11 20:05:07

What ILove, you mean you haven't sung hello to the sun, shining down on me, I love the sun because it gladdens me?

GypsyMoth Wed 01-Jun-11 20:12:18

yep,but i didnt need a class,or a baby sensory lady...

kaid100 Wed 01-Jun-11 20:12:54

Well, DW told me I wasn't allowed to do this as it can dislocate bones.

MadamDeathstare Wed 01-Jun-11 20:13:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gah2teenagers Wed 01-Jun-11 20:48:22

Dont do it. I went to the toilet at the end off a family gathering (8 mths pg) and DH swung DD1 18mths by the arms to cheer her up as she was crying (didnt want to go) she cried all night and I couldnt work out why. turned out her elbow was dislocated, docs said vvv commen.

FabbyChic Wed 01-Jun-11 20:49:26

I'd say it was dodgy as could pull their arms out of their sockets?

MrsDmitriTippensKrushnic Wed 01-Jun-11 21:00:18

Your post just makes me wince greenone I used to dislocate my elbows and shoulders all the time, up until I was maybe 4 or 5. My DS1 was the same, I managed to do it once just by gently holding his hands on my knees as he went to move away sad

We were down at A&E so often I got worried, but the Paediatrician I spoke to at the time said they saw loads of cases every week - it was one of the most common injuries they treated.

Your DD may not be susceptible, but it's really not worth taking the risk.

skybluepearl Wed 01-Jun-11 22:22:09

my godchild has had her her joints pulled out three times in two months just through playing with sibling. had to go to hospital and shes only 2.

fairydoll Wed 01-Jun-11 22:33:16

'pulled elbow' very common in young children.

westonsorganic Wed 01-Jun-11 22:47:33

ILove - wow, you're brilliant.......

MotherMountainGoat Wed 01-Jun-11 22:47:49

Yup, DD1 dislocated her elbow three times between the ages of 2 and 3, each time by suddenly dropping to the floor when we were holding her hand, thus pulling her arm tight. It's never happened before or since (and she's now nearly 13, so I think we're out of the danger zone)

The problem is not primarily caused by holding DC by the arms - it's the sudden 'pulling' movement from loose to tight that causes the dislocation.

We had very different reactions from hospital staff/doctors. One very young A+E guy practically suggested it must have been caused by abuse, while our much more experienced paediatrician reassured us that some kids just tend to dislocation and even offered to show us how to relocate the elbow, should it happen again. I'm so glad it didn't!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: