Talk

Advanced search

To not buy dd a new pair of school shoes with four weeks to go of term

(61 Posts)
veritythebrave Sun 29-May-11 14:59:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

outnumbered2to1 Sun 29-May-11 15:02:01

pray for rain and send her in her wellies....?

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 29-May-11 15:02:25

Dr Martens or Kickers.

ilovesooty Sun 29-May-11 15:04:02

Depends on the rules and expectations of the school (which you presumably signed up to).

veritythebrave Sun 29-May-11 15:04:09

sprinkles77 Sun 29-May-11 15:07:59

dr martens and kickers are quite expensive. Could she wear those wooden cloggs? She won't wear those soles out! The uppers are made of really tough leather.

mercibucket Sun 29-May-11 15:18:25

will the school let her wear trainers for a few weeks? ours would but it depends on the school
if the better makes last a bit longer, look at buying from outlet shops or in the sales/ebay. I usually get the kids the same style clarks shoes in a range of sizes from the outlet stores and they work their way through them. I've given up expecting them to last more than 4 or 5 months tbh

DollyDoLittle Sun 29-May-11 15:26:05

Primary school can't legally enforce uniform so basically you can send her in any shoes you like.

TiredMonkey Sun 29-May-11 15:46:02

DMs. My dd goes through shoes in a matter of days some times. Her DM mary janes actually survived for long enough to be grown out of. A bit of a polish now and then and they looked great.

Well worth the extra bit of cash imo.

SingleDadio Sun 29-May-11 15:48:40

I keep hearing that Primary School's can't legally enforce uniform on this site, but can't find any information that backs this up. I have looked it up on the DFE site and it states that schools can enforce a uniform policy.

'51. Headteachers can discipline pupils for breach of uniform/appearance policy as they have overall responsibility for maintaining discipline'

and:

'2. There is no legislation that deals specifically with school uniform or other aspects of appearance such as hair colour and style, and the wearing of jewellery and make-up, and this is non-statutory guidance. It is for the governing body of a school to decide whether there should be a school uniform and other rules relating to appearance, and if so what they should be. This flows from the duties placed upon the governing body by statute to conduct the school1 and to ensure that school policies promote good behaviour and discipline amongst the pupil body.'

The only information I can find is regarding the cost of uniform having to be taken into account. There is also a section that states schools can send children home to rectify any breech of uniform rules. The site doesn't state a difference between primary and secondary and actually all the photos are of children in primary school uniform.

Any links?

maddy68 Sun 29-May-11 15:53:18

It used to be the case that primarys didnt have to abide by school unifirm but that was many moons ago.
Its part of your schools policy.
At my school a child will be sent home of put in isolation until they are in full school uniform
Just by a cheap pair

MumblingRagDoll Sun 29-May-11 15:58:42

Get her some sandal type things in blue and he can wear them over summer too.

TheOriginalFAB Sun 29-May-11 16:00:45

YABU to make her wear shoes that don't fit. Decent shoes are a necessity. Cut back on something less vital.

2 of mine have foot problems so trainers can be £50 and shoes between £30-£45. None negotiable and if they grow out of them in 6 weeks then so be it.

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 29-May-11 16:03:00

If it's just before end of term I think there should be some leeway with schools.
Last year my son's school decided that they should all have to tuck in their shirts about a month before they broke up, and he kept getting told off.
The problem was his trousers were too tight and the button wouldn't button up so his shirt covered it.
I eventually wrote a note saying I couldnt afford to buy new trousers this late in the term which he would outgrow in the long holidays and promised he would be 'suitably attired' after the holidays.
They didn't hassle him any more after that.

Punkatheart Sun 29-May-11 16:07:29

Black lace-up plimsolls. Cheap, functional. Sorted.

CristinaTheAstonishing Sun 29-May-11 16:09:14

I feel your pain. Bought DD1 some school shoes for £36 last week. The only consolation is that they might fit DD2 in a couple of years (yes, I know, I make them wear second hand shoes if they fit, tsk tsk).

veritythebrave Sun 29-May-11 18:26:47

TheOriginalFAB Sun 29-May-11 18:27:58

Sorry.

slartybartfast Sun 29-May-11 18:30:10

i am not buyign dd new school shoes either, even though her current ones have a hole in them. she will have a new style come september, at senior school.
i am not sure if feet grow that quickly.
how about black plimsols?

slartybartfast Sun 29-May-11 18:32:03

can;t you ask clarks to buy somes with plenty of growing room?

slartybartfast Sun 29-May-11 18:32:27

provide shoes

veritythebrave Sun 29-May-11 18:34:47

veritythebrave Sun 29-May-11 18:36:00

FrottageCod Sun 29-May-11 18:38:36

ebay, charity shop?

missnevermind Sun 29-May-11 18:40:24

I wear Doc Martin Mary Janes myself. Get her some for September, but that doesnt help you now, Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now