Absolutely not, they sound deranged.

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 28-May-11 09:58:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 28-May-11 09:58:53

altinkum Sat 28-May-11 09:59:33

thisisourtime Sat 28-May-11 10:00:00

I don't think that's extravagant and it will last a long time and be played with for ages.

We'll probably spend about £100 on DD's 3rd birthday (she wants a bike)

WeirdAcronymNotKnown Sat 28-May-11 10:00:27

Of course you're not! FFS. And how insensitive they are about the first birthday (was it an accident that hospitalised him, I recognise your name from a thread?) if they knew he was In hospital. Twats.

I'm sure my DCs would be some of the sad ones... We couldn't possibly afford big parties sad but if you can, then why the heck shouldn't you? Anyway a party is not just for the birthday child, all the other guests get a great time and nice food... What's the problem?

They are just criticising you because they are jealous. Sure, I feel sad that I can't afford the same as other people, but to resent others because they can is just pathetic.

Imnotaslimjim Sat 28-May-11 10:00:28

What a bunch of weirdos! sorry but their kids need to learn that sometimes other people get things that they can't have

You do what you want for your boy. I don't know the back story but just from your OP I can see that you can been through a lot

I hope you (and he) enjoy your day

altinkum Sat 28-May-11 10:00:40

IWantToBeAFairyWhenIGrowUp Sat 28-May-11 10:04:11

I don't know your back story but sounds like little lad has had his first few years a bit rough. Course YANBU and I think if you want to celebrate his birthday that way then they should mind their own business.

I like the presents and he'll get a lot of use out of them and as for the decking that isn't his birthday present is it, its for you all to use, and done the perfect time of year to make the most of it.

Seems those family members are jealous and if they don't like what you've bought then that is their problem not yours. I hope you have a wonderful time and that Lucas likes his gifts.

altinkum Sat 28-May-11 10:09:35

mumnotmachine Sat 28-May-11 10:10:30

What strange thinking your family have!
Whilst what you are buying may seem expensive for a birthday gift (although I'm sure youre not counting the decking as a gift!) its stuff that will last for years, and give lots of children pleasure.
How many times have parents spent £50+ on a "must have" gift for it to be discarded within a couple of days? (raises hand)

You stick with what you are doing, and I hope Lucas has a wonderful birthday party!

mumnotmachine Sat 28-May-11 10:12:49

And tell them they can always stay away if they think its going to upset their DCs.........

altinkum Sat 28-May-11 10:15:22

IWantToBeAFairyWhenIGrowUp Sat 28-May-11 10:17:21

Just seen your other post about your hubby's bike ride.

What an awful thing for you all to go through and I can understand why you are a bit hmm about having a bbq.

Your hubby does sound amazing and I hope his bike ride is hassle free.

Yeh tell your family to pee off if they don't like what you are doing. They don't have to come. Also as you have an older one, costs are halved surely as your older one will enjoy the outside things too.

mumnotmachine Sat 28-May-11 10:17:52

I thought not- and decking is a bugger to wrap!!!!- you cant get paper long enough........

Hope you have a fantastic day

pigletmania Sat 28-May-11 10:19:26

I have read about your sons story Altinkum and no you are most certainly not being unreasonable at all. Its none of their bloomin business, sounds like a wonderful idea, its something he can enjoy past his birthday, instead of a one day party.

cheekeymonkey Sat 28-May-11 10:22:57

Sounds like a great party, hope you get nice weather.YANBU. Selfish moany twassucks!

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Sat 28-May-11 10:23:27

Just tell to fuck off, or set you mum on them!

MrsRyanReynolds Sat 28-May-11 10:23:55

They think getting decking and a swing is spoiling your kids confused?

We bought a trampoline the other week for the children and it was no-ones birthday - it was just too good a deal to let go.

I don't think you are being overly extravagant at all - FWIW it sounds like a lovely idea, and something that can be continually used, rather than a cheaper present that would probably get broken or thrown away.

What is wrong with some people FFS!

altinkum Sat 28-May-11 10:32:10

chloesmumtoo Sat 28-May-11 10:38:33

Altinkum, I think it will be fab and special to have a big celebration! Also read your story. I feel you must need and deserve it, by making your garden the way you want for Lucas/family to play and have fun is a lovely idea. Don't worry about others being jelous and to be quite honest you say about them saying you are spoiling your children- what a cheek. I would spoil them like crazy after what you have all been through. Lucas or your husband could have died. Spoil/celebrate and be happy. You deserve support from family members, they are being well out of order. Lucas's treatment is going to continue and making him as happy as posible is your main priority. If you hired hall and did other things it costs loads anyway and is only for a day whereas what you are doing will be better for Lucas, the benefits of making him happy for some time to come. Others are jelous and they have no need to be, they have not been through what you/your family have. I can never understand other peoples selfish ways, it wiil continue to baffle me. Enjoy your family and loads of best wishes

mumnotmachine Sat 28-May-11 10:40:33

FFS tell them to get lost- thats just pure jealousy

Yes you may well be "lucky" he's here (dont know the story but am guessing it wasnt happy reading) - well to me thats an even bigger reason to "spoil" him!!

Bugger them and get a trampoline as well- £99 in Asda for a 1o footer with enclosure!
Ive always been a believer in living for today- and with what Lucas has been through then I say make the most of every single day- balls to the green eyed monsters!

chloesmumtoo Sat 28-May-11 10:44:26

Yes mumnotmachine I feel so stongly about this. Life is to short for all that jelousy rubbish. If the boot was on the other foot...........

MrsRyanReynolds Sat 28-May-11 10:46:37

OMG - can you imagine your poor MIL who has gone to the thought and trouble of getting a lovely birthday present, if you turned around and said "No, you can't get him that because it's too much and unfair"!!!!

Who do they think it's being unfair to?

Honestly, some people really need to learn to mind their own business!

I've come across this type of controlling behaviour before and it is 100% pure jealousy.

The best way to deal with it is to completely ignore and just carry on as planned.

Hope you have a wonderful wonderful time smile!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: