Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why.......

(6 Posts)
prettyfly1 Thu 13-Jan-11 11:36:57

we (as a nation I mean) arent talking more about helping Australia out, at least as soon as it is safe. I might be a bit ignorant so I apologise if I am, but is our queen not their sovereign too? I just read the most horrific story about a thirteen year old boy who died after begging a rescuer to save his little brother first and had a search to see if anything had been set up to help once the water recede at least - nothing??

jonicomelately Thu 13-Jan-11 11:41:07

I agree that we should help Australia in whatever way they need.
However, if you are comparing our response to places like Haiti and Pakistan I think it's important to bear in mind that those countries are less able to help themselves than Australia. On a basic, human level developing countries are in greater need when tragedies like this occur.

GandalfyCarawak Thu 13-Jan-11 11:42:12

I don't think it's anything to do with the Queen tbh, we should help anyone in any country that needs it, and I really appreciate that lots of people are helping out, financially and practically. It must be awful for them.

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 13-Jan-11 11:43:17

I was about to write what joni just did. We have relatives in Australia who have been affected so it is a bit worrying although had they been Haitian or Pakistani I would have been even more concerned. Developed nations are much more able to stop the spread of disease etc than a developing one.

ASecretLemonadeDrinker Thu 13-Jan-11 11:44:57

I think Australia is capable of helping themselves that's why, like we do after floods. I think if they needed/asked for help there is no question it would be given, but I am guessing they aren't needing it.

5inthebed Thu 13-Jan-11 11:52:47

I agree with ASLD.

And the Queen has made a private donation to Australia, it was on the news this morning.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: