Talk

Advanced search

To enrol DD in Catholic school....

(70 Posts)
AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Wed 12-Jan-11 16:50:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hockeyforjockeys Wed 12-Jan-11 16:53:05

Is she baptised? If not then it will be a non-starter for most schools - this is the case in the UK at least. Plus they will probably require at least your DP and DD to regularly attend mass, and have a reference from the priest to prove it.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Wed 12-Jan-11 16:54:36

charliesmommy Wed 12-Jan-11 16:55:26

Admit it, you just want what you perceive to be the best school and religion has bugger all to do with it. grin

mutznutz Wed 12-Jan-11 16:56:05

Yes I think you're being very unreasonable to take up a place that might otherwise be occupied by a practising catholic.

Your child will be exposed to religion no matter what school you choose...and having been to catholic school myself, I can tell you she will be exposed to a much 'broader' view of other religions.

DuplicitousBitch Wed 12-Jan-11 16:56:20

you want her to be 'exposed' to religion - what like getting a few rays for vitamin d?

catholicism is pretty full on - some would even say cultish

penguin73 Wed 12-Jan-11 16:57:40

Unfair to deny someone this really matters to a place - if exposure to religions is your real motivation there are plenty of other options.

NannyState Wed 12-Jan-11 16:57:52

You aren't Catholic. Your husband is lapsed. If he 'believes' in Catholicism , he needs to go to church. That's the religion. It's not an 'opt in and out' thing. Which begs the question - why do you want to raise your child a Catholic? Bearing in mind this isn't some airy fairy part-time religion, it's orthodox Christianity.

Do I think you are a hypocrite? Yes. Not a bad person, because I understand (I think) your motivation and to some extent sympathise with it.

But I really don't think its appropriate to raise your child a Catholic if you don't actually believe in and practice the religion yourself.

inkyfingers Wed 12-Jan-11 16:58:38

You might not believe, but her dad does, and you're applying together(?) for this school.

You want her to learn about the faith, so both of you are in sympathy with ethos/aims of school (even if you don't sign up for a hail mary at 6am)

What's the problem? Many parents choose faith schools with less commitment or interest - good luck.

Cappster Wed 12-Jan-11 16:59:19

I know loads of people who went to CE and Catholic schools - some have continued practising, some not

I think giving your child access to religion is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, especially as you are there to discuss things from a different perspective at home

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Wed 12-Jan-11 17:00:52

thefurryone Wed 12-Jan-11 17:01:02

I'm totally against any form of sectarian eduction so I would err on the side of saying YABU. I find it surprising that your reason for sending her to a denominational school is to enable her to make better more informed choices about religion when surely the purpose of the school is to promote the beliefs followed by that church, thereby giving a fairly onesided view. But it is your child and only you can decide whether you are making the right choice.

hockeyforjockeys Wed 12-Jan-11 17:03:00

If you want her to learn about catholicism why not send her to sunday school?

NannyState Wed 12-Jan-11 17:03:15

But catholic schools don't tend to discuss the Catholic faith in some sort of nice, liberal 'compare and contrast' way. Your DD will be indoctrinated, basically. I don't mean that to sound sinister, because it isn't, but you will be sending your child to a school that teaches children to live their lives according to the RC faith. I don't think there is much debate on the matter in most RC schools!

thefurryone Wed 12-Jan-11 17:03:19

Just a thought after seeing your updated post perhaps a public school + sunday school would be a choice you're more comfortable with.

NannyState Wed 12-Jan-11 17:04:16

If what you are really saying is that you want her to go to a Catholic school because they are academically better, be honest with yourself, and be prepared to lie through your teeth to get her in.

frenchfancy Wed 12-Jan-11 17:05:25

YANBU

My girls are in the Catholic school when neither of us are catholic (I'm CofE DH isn't anything). We are not depriving anyone else of a place as the school was open to all, it is a very small school in a small village and they are glad of the numbers.

Just be prepared for them to take up religion. Our eldest 2 are now babptised at their own request and have both had their 1st communion.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Wed 12-Jan-11 17:05:44

scurryfunge Wed 12-Jan-11 17:10:31

I wouldn't from the point of view that most religions, especially Catholicism do not treat women well and I wouldn't want an environment like that for a daughter to be educated in.

lazylula Wed 12-Jan-11 17:10:38

YANBU, ds1 goes to a Catholic school and we are not Catholic, however he is not taking up a place of a Catholic child as all Catholic children in the area are given priority, he is using a 'spare' place. We live fairly close and our children have been Christened C of E, this is why he was able to attend this school.

GenevieveHawkings Wed 12-Jan-11 17:12:10

Yes, YABU.

Why on earth would you want to send your child to a school that will seek to fill her head with utter nonsense in between actually teaching her something worthwhile?

ChippyMinton Wed 12-Jan-11 17:12:10

YANBU
Plenty of mixed families (ie where only one parent is Catholic) choose to go down the Catholic school route. Judging by the bums on pews in my local church it can be the catalyst for getting people back into regular church-going.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Wed 12-Jan-11 17:13:03

seeker Wed 12-Jan-11 17:16:16

You are being a hypocrite, and you are also denying someone who really wants a catholic education - rather than "the best education possible" a place at the school.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Wed 12-Jan-11 17:17:32

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now