Talk

Advanced search

not to change the time of my birthday meal?

(34 Posts)
RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sun 28-Nov-10 18:17:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fedupofnamechanging Sun 28-Nov-10 18:19:17

I don't think you'll be able to please everyone. As it's your birthday, I think you should do what suits you best.

Eglu Sun 28-Nov-10 18:19:41

Why is it too late for her? My Gran moaned when my Dad took her out for birthday dinner once that they had eaten so late. I think the table was booked for 7pm. She sid the food lay like lead in her stomach all night grin

I think 30 minutes won't kill your sister. YANBU

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sun 28-Nov-10 18:21:31

Bathsheba Sun 28-Nov-10 18:21:39

Even if it was booked for 7:30 I doubt everyone would be there until 8 anyway and you know how long it takes to order in a big group...

Half an hour really won't make that much difference, in fact, I'd say it would have no effect at all as I'll gaurentee some of your friends will have a last minute children crisis and be delayed until after 8 anyway (always happens..)

werewolf Sun 28-Nov-10 18:21:52

Could you let them see the menu beforehand, so choosing on the night will be quicker? Might help if your sister's worried about eating late.

diddl Sun 28-Nov-10 18:23:07

"Your birthday, your rules"grin

Eglu your Gran sounds like meblush

Have go into the habit of main cooked meal at lunch time & prefer eating out then to in the evening.

Trick is to be careful what you eat tbh though!

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sun 28-Nov-10 18:23:19

diddl Sun 28-Nov-10 18:24:48

Why is 8 too late?

She wants to eat earlier or be able to leave earlier?

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sun 28-Nov-10 18:29:32

BaroqinAroundTheChristmasTree Sun 28-Nov-10 18:30:42

1/2hr is going to make sod all difference the daft cow

diddl Sun 28-Nov-10 18:32:44

I would have thought that 8 is a fine time to meet tbh.

Take control on your birthday!

lucykate Sun 28-Nov-10 18:35:52

what about, as a compromise, leaving the booking for 8, but getting hold of a menu, and everyone picking their food and pre-ordering to save time on the night?

needafootmassage Sun 28-Nov-10 18:36:02

lucykate Sun 28-Nov-10 18:37:00

sorry, just seen you've already said you are pre-ordering anyway, in that case, i'd just stick with 8, half an hour is neither here nor there.

lifeinagoldfishbowl Sun 28-Nov-10 18:39:34

Why should she Needsafootmassage? Reality's sister is a grown up and needs to understand that Reality has chosen 8 o'clock and therefore thats the time the meal is going to be.

ENormaSnob Sun 28-Nov-10 19:42:46

Yanbu

I wouldn't change the time unless there was a genuine reason.

DamselInDisgrace Sun 28-Nov-10 19:48:38

If you change the time and make it earlier, you'd only get complaints from those who've made their plans around the advertised 8pm start.

Fair enough if it's your gran and you know she goes to bed at 8:30pm, but I'm sure your sister can manage to wait half an hour.

needafootmassage Sun 28-Nov-10 19:54:24

MadamDeathstare Sun 28-Nov-10 20:13:26

looneytune Sun 28-Nov-10 20:29:14

No way, stick with 8pm. The only reason I'd change to earlier is if an elderly person was coming who needed to eat earlier, we'd do this with my nan when she was alive. Honestly would stick with 8pm moreso because you say it sounds like she's trying to have some 'control' over it. I'm sure most with children would prefer 8pm and the others have made plans for an 8pm meet so why mess so many people around for 1 person!

MeowyChristmasEveryone Sun 28-Nov-10 20:46:33

Half an hour earlier - what a nutter!!!

Please don't change - if she's still complaining, tell her that she doesn't have to come out and help you celebrate your birthday; in fact, if she thinks an 8pm dinner booking will be THAT bad for her, tell her she should probably stay at home to save any possible inconvenience!!!!

blackeyedsusan Sun 28-Nov-10 20:53:25

eh?

what reason does she cite for a 7.30 start?
does she have dcs?
does she need to get up for work?

I really don't understand.

onepieceoflollipop Sun 28-Nov-10 20:56:45

If she has what she believes to be a genuine reason then she needs to work out how she will deal with that without demanding the timings of the evening are changed to suit her. for example, if it is to do with eating late/getting indigestion in her position I would cut down on the amount I ate. i.e. don't eat 3 courses, or leave the potatoes on the main course, or whatever.

30 minutes is hardly significant.

fireblademum Sun 28-Nov-10 21:32:53

tell her youve changed it.... but dont change it. in the general milling around, getting drinks people being late or early, how will she know.... until someone tells her, and its too late by then anyway. would just prove the point that she is pointlessly controlling.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: