Talk

Advanced search

to think the designers were having a sneaky laugh at this one?

(62 Posts)
booyhoo Wed 24-Nov-10 00:00:30

i mean the ones that designed my house and all the others in this cul-de-sac. they put the downstairs loo at the front of the house so that i either have to sit in the dark or turn the light on and let all my neighbours know I'm doing a poo. i have a blind but i know from seeing my neighbours silhouettes that it is still easy to see that i am sitting on the loo. if i go upstairs it wakes the dcs. thanks for that lovely designer person.

CarGirl Wed 24-Nov-10 00:02:05

Get a black out blind so they can't see your silhouette?

booyhoo Wed 24-Nov-10 00:02:44

it's cheaper to sit in the dark grin

zipzap Wed 24-Nov-10 00:20:48

Get one of those sunshine jars that are solar renewable lights, just give off a bit of a glow. Leave it in the window or near to it (but not the other side of the loo!) so it always recharges, gives you a bit of light to go to the loo by but not enough to cause any shadows, and will be always on in the evening so they won't see you switching the light on in the same way as for a normal light...

Honeydragon Wed 24-Nov-10 00:33:39

Is there a mysterious reason why you have to go in secret? Do your neighbours assess your downstairs bathroom usage? Perhaps time you? grin

Or do you just mean you don't like using it from when it gets dark regardless of what time it is?

TheMeow Wed 24-Nov-10 06:54:43

I don't have a downstairs loo [sobs] but my mum does and it's at the front of the house (so it the bathroom) and I have never once thought OMG! Everyone will know I'm in the bathroom!!!

MmeLindt Wed 24-Nov-10 07:05:50

Um. You are over thinking this.

EVERYONE goes to the loo. We all do poos.

They are not watching or timing you.

"Oh, look Mary. That is booyhoo off to the loo again. Second time this morning. Wonder if she has a dose of the runs. She was in there for 12.5 minutes earlier"

Bunbaker Wed 24-Nov-10 07:28:56

Blimey, your children must be incredibly light sleepers if they get woken up by someone using the toilet. Even an earthquake doesn't wake DD up once she reaches the land of nod.

LOL at your post MmeLindt!

Well, it is still dark so I had better go to the front window on toilet watchwink

LornMowa Wed 24-Nov-10 07:55:14

I remember a summer evening church garden party which was enlivened by the silhouette of many a lady tossing her squirts in the air as she mounted the loo!

LornMowa Wed 24-Nov-10 07:56:00

Skirts blush

ProfYaffle Wed 24-Nov-10 08:06:42

I preferred squirts grin

YunoYurbubson Wed 24-Nov-10 08:10:31

Tell your neighbours that you are doing an OU course, and that you have converted the downstairs loo into an office. Then whoever is on poo watch will record you as 'studying' not 'pooing' and your blushes will be saved.

SoMuchToBits Wed 24-Nov-10 08:15:22

We also have a downstairs loo at the front of the house - but it has never occurred to me that people may be scrutinising my loo habits......

ValiumSingleton Wed 24-Nov-10 08:22:10

In my house the downstairs loo is at the back at the side. And so is the nextdoor neighbour's loo. ONly about 6 feet apart (at the most). Very intimate when you realise you're on the loo and they're on the loo too only a few feet away and they know it and you know it.

(this takes my mind off the IMF and the bailout)

plupervert Wed 24-Nov-10 08:24:41

A "downstairs loo" is often by the front door, for convenience (running in after shopping) and snobbery (allowing "tradesmen" to use it, or allowing friends/neighbours to use it without penetrating into the more personal messy areas of your home bombsite).

Sorry to be obnoxious about this!

P.S. I like the nightlight/Sun-in-a-jar idea!

Grumpla Wed 24-Nov-10 08:52:23

Is your back garden overlooked? Perhaps that would be the best way of avoiding detection AND saving on your water bill.

JennyHaniver Wed 24-Nov-10 08:56:19

Of course everyone notices...you can set your watch by my neighbours 8:25am poo.

ValiumSingleton Wed 24-Nov-10 09:11:47

CAN YOU hear his paper rustling? Is it a broadsheet or a tabloid? Ican tell by the rustle you know..

Honeydragon Wed 24-Nov-10 13:31:38

pmsl at "poowatch"

CrankyTwanky Wed 24-Nov-10 13:36:39

Worse still is downstairs loos where the window opens onto the garden where a BBQ is in full swing.

I find even having a wee mortifying tbh, and get stage fright. BooyHoo, I'd go in the dark.

KirstyJC Wed 24-Nov-10 13:41:41

One of our neighbours's flats is like this, and as the ground floor is lower than the pavement that runs about 4 foot away from the window, you can see her lowering her arse as she backs onto the loo at your head height, if you time it right!!grin

They have obscure glass in the window but in the daytime, with no lights on, it's SO obvious....haven't got the heart to tell her!

MummyDoIt Wed 24-Nov-10 13:46:03

My sister's neighbour has a bathroom at the front of the house. You can see the husband standing to do a pee and the little jiggle he does to shake at the end. What's truly bad, though, is that he doesn't wash his hands afterwards. Worse than that, he's their postman! Not sure I'd want to touch my post, knowing that.

LittleYellowTeapot Wed 24-Nov-10 13:54:39

YANBU grin
We have 3 toilets. I will only use 1 of them as the other two are right by windows which are on the front of the house and I get stage fright! grin

I'm putting this thread on poowatch

catinthehat2 Wed 24-Nov-10 13:57:17

I never go to the toilet. THat sort of thing is only for vulgar people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now