Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

has anyone used an epipen when pregnant?

(5 Posts)
zippys Tue 11-Aug-09 17:16:29

Hi, has anyone had to use an epi pen when pregnant? If so how far along were you and was everything ok?

Thanks

MamaKaty Wed 12-Aug-09 16:57:05

Q: Can I use my EpiPen if I have an allergic reaction while pregnant?

A: Yes. One obstetrician put it bluntly: “It’s better for the baby if you’re not dead.” Dr. Michael Cyr reminds that, “in a life-threatening reaction, use it right away.”

I googled your question and found several stories of people who'd used it while pregnant without doing any harm.

After using an epi pen you should always go to A&E anyway to get checked over

zippys Wed 12-Aug-09 18:10:09

thanks for doing the research for me I really appreciate it. I found the quote about being better off alive as well. But hadnt found people that had been fine after using it. So I feel a lot better now.

I can get an aphyphaxis from stress so knowing that using my epipen would end in MC would probably be enough to a reaction!!

OnlyWantsOne Wed 12-Aug-09 18:12:53

oh my god really? poor you x xx

zippys Wed 12-Aug-09 20:04:00

hi, soory been out for a while. yes they are caused by stress, temp change or anything else that affects my immune system - pretty scary really. On loads of antihistamines but even that is stressful as they are not all tested on pregnant women!

I wish i was allergic to something inparticular like peanuts because at least I could then avoid them even if it is really hard.

I just to have to live with the fact that I could have one anytime and need to let other people know, like work and friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now