Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hay fever jab

(3 Posts)
shebird Sat 15-Mar-14 21:28:13

Some has recently mentioned that there is a jab for hayfever. DD 10 suffers quite badly and I wondered if anyone had any experience of this and if they offer it it children.

shebird Sat 15-Mar-14 21:29:00


ClaireOB Tue 18-Mar-14 12:36:15

If you mean desensitisation treatment for pollen allergies, this is available both as sublingual (drops under tongue) and subcutaneous (injection) treatments but can be difficult to access on the NHS as there are not that many specialist allergy clinics. You could try asking your GP for a referral.

The other injection treatment, depo steroid injection, tends not to be used any more because of concern about side effects - link:

"...In the past, steroid injections were sometimes used to treat hay fever. They were given as long-lasting injections, called depot injections. You only have one dose, but the drug gets released into your body slowly. This means you only need one injection at the beginning of the hay fever season.

The problem with long-lasting injections is that, if you get side effects, there's no way to get the drug out of your body. If you get side effects from tablets, you can just stop taking them. Steroids can cause serious side effects if you take them for a long time. So doctors don't tend to use steroid injections to treat hay fever any more. ..."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now