Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Testing for Food Allergies / sensitivities in adults.

(5 Posts)
Christie Wed 31-May-06 14:54:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chandra Wed 31-May-06 17:01:26

I have been to a kinesiologist and to be honest I felt very uncomfortable about the idea of DS being tested through me. I'm sure there is an element of truth on alternative medicine, the problem is to find a good and reliable practicioner (there are lots of them with good intentions but with less than optimal skills). So if you decide to see one, ask for plenty of recommendations.

There is a blood test (York test) for food intolerances but the results are so unreliable that they can only be seen as clues in case you want to carry on with further testing.

Christie Wed 31-May-06 20:57:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bettythebuilder Wed 31-May-06 21:27:48

I had a lot of "tummy problems" of the sort you describe, and it seemed that once the GP had told me I had IBS, that was it - diagnosis given, job done.

After more months of discomfort, dh persuaded me to ask if it would be poss. to find out if there was a cause.

First test the GP sent me for was a lactose intolerance test at the hospital, which was positive. It's a pfaf cutting out all dairy, but a damn sight better than the alternative!

Ime the best tests are the 'proper' ones that your GP can refer you for, but you have to hassle to get a referal, and it can take ages for an appointment.

Nightynight Wed 31-May-06 21:31:36

I saw a kinesiologist who was very good. His estimates of what I might be reacting to were later confirmed by skin tests, as well as by my own experience (got better when I avoided those foods, obviously).

You could also be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome, or a candida infection (excessive yeast growing in the gut). It is related to food allergies because sufferers tend to end up allergic to yeast.
Have you tried your GP to see what they will say?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: