Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Taking suspected allergic foods to hosp. for skin prick testing.

(6 Posts)
CasaBevron Sat 15-Oct-11 10:32:10

Can anyone advise me please? We are seeing Adam Fox next week and have been told that if we suspect any foods outside of the list of usual suspects we need to take samples with us. My plan was to package up (separately, obviously, to avoid cross-contamination) small cubes/slices of whatever foods I wanted DS tested for. Is this right, or do I need to take eg a banana, an apple etc, etc, and if he has reacted to cooked mashed sweet potato do I take a bit of that or is raw just as good? I want to make sure I do the right thing, but I also want to avoid that 'just been to Sainsburys' look!

eragon Sat 15-Oct-11 23:03:35

I brought some plastic clip type boxes, and took everything.
recently our son had to be tested for loads of seeds, so had to buy lots and decant in to small boxes. its does feel odd, buying to foods that may cause a reaction, bring them in to your house, open them etc.
had to pick a quiet time to do this , so that i could concentrate on not cross contminating kitchen with spilled seeds!

babybarrister Sun 16-Oct-11 09:58:07

We did same - once had to go to st Thomas kitchen to beg celery !! Some of the concentrates are v inaccurate ( celery as example) so they prefer to use real deal. I would avoid cutting them up until you get there if possible as may denature them ...

CasaBevron Sun 16-Oct-11 10:19:58

Eragon, the seeds do sound very tricky!

So BB would you take whole foods then? This sounds like a really daft question but do you need to take a knife for cutting them up or will they do that there for you? Just thinking about cross-contamination again. This is so complicated confused

babybarrister Sun 16-Oct-11 11:42:02

take knife with you and just wash it - there are sinks in there...

CasaBevron Sun 16-Oct-11 12:29:17

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now