Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Celery challenge

(20 Posts)
babybarrister Mon 19-Sep-11 21:24:24

anyone have any tasty ideas for hiding raw celery so I can actually DS to eat it on his challenge on Thursday?

I am going to make humous and also puree some celery to mix into baked beans hmm

some of my friends have suggested chocolate coating celery sticks grin

anyone else have any experience?!

ChocaMum Mon 19-Sep-11 21:49:48

My DD really likes hummus so I tend t give sticks of celery with that. Also in pasta sauces clergy becomes quite sweet when cooked for a while, but I'm not sure if you need raw celery. Good luck, it would be great if you could cut down on one of your DS' allergies.

EllieG Mon 19-Sep-11 21:51:03

Ugh, celery is awful, nasty stuff. Why does he have to do a celery challenge? I'd be sick

babybarrister Mon 19-Sep-11 22:20:55

yes celery is foul - but try avoiding the bloody stuff .... ketchup, stock cubes, battered fish etc etc

Likeaninjanow Tue 20-Sep-11 07:28:03

Hi Babybarrister. Really don't envy you that one...it's the marmite of vegetables! Sorry I don't have anything useful to say, but good luck for Thursday smile.

babybarrister Tue 20-Sep-11 11:19:40

thanks - I agree - we have done baked eggs and soya which at least can be nice when cooked

raw celery though?!!!!

only people on this board understand .....

I am going to mix chopped celery with baked beans and have also made some [sesame free] humous this morning for dipping

I have a nasty feeling it is going to be like watching a re-run of the Grand National with DS balking at "going over the jumps ...." - still, I could be wrong!

alison222 Tue 20-Sep-11 11:23:06

No ideas here as we all dislike celery too. - Not allergic to it though at least. BUT I was wondering what triggers you being allowed to do a food challange. DS is still so allergic to other things I was wondering if you have to not react to a skin test or something to do the food challenge? If so we could never get there sad

babybarrister Tue 20-Sep-11 11:28:46

well we have been offered 3 food challenges and turned down for one! all depends on level of skin prick/RAST, the allergen and probably the history of reactions as well

DS had high reading for cooked and raw egg on skin and RAST but they offered and then did baked egg challenge and he passed - frankly to my amazement - I suspect because it is one of the "childhood" allergens they know that despite skin prick/rast for baked [but not just cooked] egg, there is still a chance

having said that they have just refused to try cooked egg on DS because of high skin prick/rast.....

celery has come up neg - but there again the essence used for the skin prick test is apparently notoriously inaccacurate -FWIW the last episode with celery was 18 months ago

I rather suspect we are not going to be on anyone's food challenge list for a good while once this one is done though

alison222 Tue 20-Sep-11 11:36:03

DS has high reading for egg- they only ever test raw egg and it was v high (although apparently not as high as the previous time) and nuts are getting worse, fish too. Ahh well. I won't hold my breath that it could be done any time soon. - Good luck with the celery challenge though. - I know what you mean about getting him to try it. - DS is so suspicious of any new food even when I make it and he knows it won't cause a reaction.

babybarrister Tue 20-Sep-11 11:58:45

have you tried baked egg? has this been offered to you? where are you? how old is DS? I just ask as tbh I actually could not understand why they had called DS in for a baked egg challenge. there obviously is a massive line between baked and cooked egg ....

cannot remember exact skin prick/rast for DS with cooked egg but I know it was pretty high .... - obviously high enough to say no to any thought of cooked egg challenge which is the next rung up ....

youarekidding Tue 20-Sep-11 21:41:13

No ideas of any sort to make celery actually taste nice I'm afraid. grin

Did want to add my wishes of support though as I know how much difference it will make for you/ DH and especially DS to have 1 less allergy.

Just checking but I take it baked egg is in cakes/ biscuits etc and cooked is the egg actually cooked alone - as in fried/ boiled? Raw eggs pretty obvious though!

babybarrister Wed 21-Sep-11 07:21:25

yes - baked is small amount blitzed in the over .... ie cakes, bread, biscuits

babybarrister Wed 21-Sep-11 07:21:44

thanks for good wishes though!

stepmad Thu 22-Sep-11 07:09:19

wow my charge loves it got all excited yesterday her class mate had birthday cakes we had run out of safe treats in her medical bag allergic to eggs nuts dairy kwi i had a harbo in my bag and celery she opted for the later but got both anyway

babybarrister Thu 22-Sep-11 16:53:30

good news - we passed! I bigged up MN allergy boards whilst there as well so hopefully we will have a few more regulars as I have also left the details with the allergy nurses. I explained that whilst there is no formal moderation, the regulars on here ensure that any dangerous/bullshit opinions are firmly sat on ....grin

anyway we are now going out for a celebratory meal in which DS will coat his chips with as much Heinz ketchup [contains celery!] as humanly possible ....

youarekidding Thu 22-Sep-11 17:02:29

grin

Don't tell my DS about the ketchup though he'll be envy He failed that challenge in May - and that's as just one chip dipped in it! Mindyou it took 4 hours for the rash to appear hmm

Likeaninjanow Thu 22-Sep-11 18:43:50

Fanbloodytastic grin! So, so pleased for you! Whilst scrutinising labels I often am surprised just how many things have celery listed.

ClaireOB Thu 22-Sep-11 19:24:02

very pleased for you and DS and hope you had a good (ketchup themed) celebration!

ChocaMum Thu 22-Sep-11 19:28:30

Excellent news for your ds! I hope he enjoys as much ketchup as he can eat! grin

babybarrister Thu 22-Sep-11 20:50:51

Thanks everyone - I rather expect this is going to be the last one for a good while ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now