Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swollen itchy red eyes, does anyone have this, what do you do for relief?

(11 Posts)
ifaistos Tue 12-Jul-11 21:31:55

Every year when I come to visit my mum I get swollen, itchy, red eyes that last as long as I'm here and stop as soon as I go back home (different country). They're also covered in gunk in the mornings.

Does anyone have this problem? What do you do for relief? I'm finding the itching unbearable and I look scary.

iMemoo Tue 12-Jul-11 21:33:22


TwoAndaHalfNeurons Tue 12-Jul-11 21:34:58

You need an antihistamine. Are there birch trees where your ma lives?

youarekidding Tue 12-Jul-11 21:50:40

agree antihistamines and wrap around sunglasses if its a sunny place.

Allergy relief eyedrops can help too.

ifaistos Wed 13-Jul-11 08:51:47

Ok, antihistamine it is then. What normally gets prescribed in UK? Is it something like zyrtec? I'll go to a doctor here but I prefer to know what the treatment is in the UK, because doctor's here are a bit prescription-happy and can go overboard sometimes. The times I've been to the pharmacy for it here I always get given eye drops with some cortisone. Is that what you mean by allergy relief eyedrops youarekidding?

kingprawntikka Wed 13-Jul-11 09:04:35

Yes you need something like zirtec, or a beconase nasal spray. Some otrivine antistin eye drops as well.

ifaistos Wed 13-Jul-11 10:37:47

twoandahalf - no birch trees. Plane, eucalyptus and seville orange trees, and dust.

ifaistos Wed 13-Jul-11 23:35:59

I'm bfing so can't take antihistamines apparently. Great. Is there anything else that might soothe my eyes, even if it's just very temporary relief?

lubeybooby Wed 13-Jul-11 23:40:42

Try optrex itchy eye drops or if the gunk in the morning is yellow or green at all go to a pharmacy and say you have conjunctivitis, and get the antibiotic eyedrops or goldeneye cream

menagerie Wed 13-Jul-11 23:43:52

There is an antihistamine eye drops solution. Is that OK while you're BFing? You can buy it at Boots - forget the make, probably Optrex.

Al1son Wed 13-Jul-11 23:57:03

You need Sodium cromoglicate eye drops which are sometimes called Haycrom I think.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: