Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Training for Teachers/Education professionals re Adopted children/emotional/behavioural dufficulties.

(7 Posts)
selly24 Wed 21-Sep-16 10:34:38

What is available? Who are the providers? What would a "gold standard"course include? Is PP frequently spent on training those working in schools

RatherBeIndoors Wed 21-Sep-16 17:19:26

Louise Bomber is a great place to start - "Inside I'm hurting" is a great textbook resource (and also useful to read as an adoptive parent), and training directly by Louise and her colleagues is available through

I would expect there to be other local providers. I know my LO's school used a three-day attachment course that was run by the nearest university's education department. I would expect the SENCO to be able to find a suitable course, if not through their own experience, then through contacting the LA virtual school and asking what they provide/recommend.

Some schools use an INSET day for having someone come in to train; some send staff on existing courses. Some use PP to part-fund it, and some use their training budget, and retain the PP to spend more directly on the child(ren).

selly24 Wed 21-Sep-16 18:37:18

Incredibly helpful. Had read about Louise Bomber in a book on Emotional and behavioural difficulties. Great to know she runs training. Thanks.

tldr Wed 21-Sep-16 19:06:22

Adoption UK do some too, but our school went through the virtual head.

cheeesecheesecheese Wed 21-Sep-16 19:21:43

PAC UK provide some training courses/resources for schools I think. My child's PP goes towards staff salaries, school admitted this. Fortunately we got a great deal of support during primary school years with regard to social/emotional issues so things relatively calm for us in that respect at the moment. Not sure what secondary school might be able to offer us if things kick off again during teenage years though.

I'd take he advice of the PP and try to contact the virtual head, or your adoption support worker who can speak to school on your family's behalf. Sometimes contact via a statutory service will get a greater priority than contact by a parent.

fasparent Wed 21-Sep-16 23:35:20

You will find what you are looking for and more from Gareth Marr at
www. can also google

MintyLizzy9 Thu 22-Sep-16 19:34:38

I'm half way through 'safe base' training with After Adoption, they also run courses for teachers/carers as well as adopters. So far it has been very informative covering the reasons why we see certain behaviours and how best to handle them - linking it all back to development.

safe base in schools

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now