Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

How to find (private?) counselling for adopted 17yo

(10 Posts)
UnderTheNameOfSanders Mon 08-Aug-16 14:52:49

Does anyone know how to go about finding a good counsellor for an adopted 17yo? She's on the waiting list for CAMHS but that could be months/years if stories I've read on here are anything to go by ...

(will also post in mental health)

Hels20 Mon 08-Aug-16 16:09:04

I may know someone who can possibly help but am based in London (west London). Where are you looking for? (Sorry - can't remember whereabouts you are based!)

UnderTheNameOfSanders Mon 08-Aug-16 16:26:20

Thanks Hels, we are South coast.

Can you advise on where to look?
What qualifications / memberships to expect?
Should we contact our LA adoption services (bad experience with their support a few years back)?

We need someone who can understand what DD has been through and current issues (some directly adoption related, but also tangential self-esteem related stuff) and help her work her way through them (not just validate a 'woe is me' attitude).

Jjacobb Tue 09-Aug-16 03:57:53

This lady is amazing. She worked with one of my teenage girls. She's really down to earth, lives in a lovely cottage with horses and loads of dogs. She does a lot of art therapy and specialises in adopted and fostered children.

MypocketsarelikeNarnia Wed 10-Aug-16 08:51:59

There's a world of difference between proper psychotherapy and counselling. The former is much more likely to be effective. I don't know about your area but you could start with somewhere like the Tavistock in London and see what they recommend?

yummychocolate Wed 10-Aug-16 20:21:28

Have you spoken to your Local Authority adoption service? They can apply to the adoption support fund for therapeutic services.

Italiangreyhound Thu 11-Aug-16 00:42:04

Sanders regardless of where you child was adopted from speak to your local adoption services.

You could also ask this organisation for advice, I don't know but they may know something...

Kr1stina Thu 11-Aug-16 20:07:07

Try the post adoption centre in London . They might be able to recommend someone closer to you

campervancharlie Mon 22-Aug-16 03:56:29

Definitely get funding from the adoption support fund for this via your local post adoption support - most PAS has been overhauled in the last couple of years - can you check with any adopters local to you if this the case? But be warned, SS will only get the funding if the key issues emphasised are directly adoption related.

giraffesCantReachTheirToes Mon 22-Aug-16 04:05:48

As someone else has said then so consider other types of therapy - eg play therapy/art therapy.

Sometimes if the issues are from when the child was pre-verbal then they will never have the words to explain them - but can deal with them through play/art.

Depends on what they would feel more comfortable with. I know of a lot of play therapists who have done amazing work with adopted children/adults.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now