Words that often get misused

(177 Posts)
Datesad Fri 23-Jul-21 10:35:33

I’ll start.

Enormity.

I’ve seen this used incorrectly in books, articles etc! It doesn’t mean huge!

OP’s posts: |
BamberGascoine Fri 23-Jul-21 10:43:45

Generally instead of genuinely! E.g. I generally believe I can do this!

Also this isn’t exactly what you are asking for but in a text when someone means to put definitely but autocorrect changes it to defiantly and they don’t change it. I always read it as defiantly even if I know they mean definitely. E.g. I will defiantly call in at Tesco on the way home from work. Then imagine them roaming the tesco aisles jn defiance!!

VeniVidiWeeWee Fri 23-Jul-21 10:43:51

Decimate, used to signal almost complete destruction.

Cattenberg Fri 23-Jul-21 10:46:58

Disinterested doesn’t mean uninterested. Discrete is not a fancy way of spelling discreet.

Two words that I misunderstood until recently were erstwhile and august. I thought that erstwhile meant “esteemed”, and august meant “fat”.

Galassia Fri 23-Jul-21 10:51:07

Literally.

The over use and irrelevant use of the word ‘literally’ is very annoying.

StealthPolarBear Fri 23-Jul-21 10:57:49

Cattenberg, I assumed doughty meant fat. I saw it used recently and looked it up, was surprised to learn it meant brave and persistent.

Classica Fri 23-Jul-21 11:02:14

I've noticed on MN that some people think 'mortified' means devastated/sorrowful.

And people are often weary when they should be wary.

Advertisement

frogswimming Fri 23-Jul-21 11:03:26

VeniVidiWeeWee

Decimate, used to signal almost complete destruction.

It does mean that doesn't it?

frogswimming Fri 23-Jul-21 11:03:46

What does disinterested mean then?

frogswimming Fri 23-Jul-21 11:04:05

What does enormity mean then?

Classica Fri 23-Jul-21 11:05:26

disinterested means unbiased and uninterested means having no interest in something. A judge should be disinterested but not uninterested.

Totallyaddictedtoshoes Fri 23-Jul-21 11:06:26

Ambivalent. It means internally conflicted or having contradictory opinions on something and doesn't mean not really bothered.

beguilingeyes Fri 23-Jul-21 11:10:17

The whole eligible/illegible thing makes me crazy. I saw someone described on TV as an illegible batchelor recently.

BordelDeMerde Fri 23-Jul-21 11:13:06

beguilingeyes

The whole eligible/illegible thing makes me crazy. I saw someone described on TV as an illegible batchelor recently.

Was he a closed book?

Lonel Fri 23-Jul-21 11:15:38

For a long time I thought bucolic meant something close to alcoholic. blush

Scummy0mummy Fri 23-Jul-21 11:18:26

Woman
Girl
Female
Perfect

BordelDeMerde Fri 23-Jul-21 11:18:59

Classica

I've noticed on MN that some people think 'mortified' means devastated/sorrowful.

And people are often weary when they should be wary.

Yes. "My granny died and I'm mortified." Why? Did she die in flagrante with the mayor in front of the whole village?

Datesad Fri 23-Jul-21 11:19:00

@frogswimming enormity means something extremely serious, grave, a crime, even.

Having looked it up, I think it could actually also be used to mean something on a huge scale, but it’s different to just meaning ‘big’ which is what it is often used for.

Disinterested means when you can consider something without a direct personal interest in the outcome of a situation or argument. Uninterested means just not taking an interest full stop. More commonly though disinterested is used interchangeably with uninterested and I think that is now becoming accepted. Disinterested actually is used mostly in a legal context, for obvious reasons

longwayoff Fri 23-Jul-21 11:28:48

This is not the right place to introduce this new word I came across recently, nevertheless, I offer it to you. Testiculating, used to describe the PM's arm-waving, spluttering, mansplaining delivery of copious amounts of waffle.

Datesad Fri 23-Jul-21 11:29:56

longwayoff

This is not the right place to introduce this new word I came across recently, nevertheless, I offer it to you. Testiculating, used to describe the PM's arm-waving, spluttering, mansplaining delivery of copious amounts of waffle.

@longwayoff love this!

whistlers Fri 23-Jul-21 11:32:18

Datesad

*@frogswimming* enormity means something extremely serious, grave, a crime, even.

Having looked it up, I think it could actually also be used to mean something on a huge scale, but it’s different to just meaning ‘big’ which is what it is often used for.

Disinterested means when you can consider something without a direct personal interest in the outcome of a situation or argument. Uninterested means just not taking an interest full stop. More commonly though disinterested is used interchangeably with uninterested and I think that is now becoming accepted. Disinterested actually is used mostly in a legal context, for obvious reasons

Cabinfever10 Fri 23-Jul-21 11:38:43

Borrowed instead of loaned as in I borrowed her the money angry
Also the words literal and violence usually used by Twitter idiots when people state accurate facts/information that someone else doesn't like words are not literal violence, they can be hurtful, harmful or hateful and can even insite violence however they can never be literal violence

VeniVidiWeeWee Fri 23-Jul-21 12:00:43

@frogswimming

That's how decimate is used now. Originally it meant that one tenth of something was destroyed. It originates as a punishment for a Roman army unit.

mangomelba Fri 23-Jul-21 12:07:17

On route instead of en route

whistlers Fri 23-Jul-21 12:08:01

It actually meant that every tenth man in a group was executed by his peers

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in