Talk

Advanced search

City Living

(41 Posts)
citycitycity Tue 06-Oct-20 09:40:49

Please help me with your city living recommendations.....

I want to live in a city. I want independent cinemas, shops and cafes. I want art galleries, theatres and lectures on many, many subjects.

I need a good sixth form college for DD1 and a good selection of independent secondary schools for DD2 (would also like to look at state schools, but wouldn't be in catchment at the right time).

I have always lived in London commuter belt, in towns without much going on. While I can fairly easily travel into London I want everything on my doorstep.

I can't move now, due to DD1 exams, but I plan to start looking at areas to move to.

I'd like to live city centre, but DH wants a garage so I think I'll need to compromise,ise by living on the outskirts.

Can anyone recommend the right city for me?

OP’s posts: |
CatBatCat Tue 06-Oct-20 09:44:28

Bath or Bristol.

citycitycity Tue 06-Oct-20 10:19:29

are there any areas of Bath and Bristol you can recommend?

serialreturner Tue 06-Oct-20 10:31:46

Glasgow

BearSoFair Tue 06-Oct-20 10:34:32

Could you move into London? We're in Waltham Forest and have independent shops, restaurants, cafes, William Morris gallery and Vestry House museum, then it's under 30 mins by tube into central London for theatres, museums, galleries there. And we still have very easy access to green spaces (Walthamstow Wetlands, Epping Forest).

SausageRoll2020 Tue 06-Oct-20 10:38:56

Manchester fits the cultural part of your requirements and if you want to head back to London to visit friends it's only a couple of hours on the train.

Depends on what size of property you need but the properties in St John's all have garages and off road parking, it's a nice quiet place and only a couple of minutes from Spinningfields so you are right in the city centre.

I've no idea about school and college quality I'm afraid.

citycitycity Tue 06-Oct-20 10:39:22

@BearsoFair I would love to live in London, but I'm not sure I can get the space I want for my budget. I will do a quick Rightmove search on the areas you mention

MrsGrindah Tue 06-Oct-20 11:33:38

Leeds ..once Covid restrictions lifted! There are plenty of flats with garages. Leeds has all the things you mention although of course not all are fully open at the moment

citycitycity Tue 06-Oct-20 12:01:35

@serialreturner - we do like Scotland - what area of Glasgow would you recommend?

taraRoo Tue 06-Oct-20 12:06:40

I'd recommend Edinburgh if you are considering Scotland. If your coming from England you might find it a better fit than Glasgow. There's a huge amount of private schools. Though Scotland doesn't do sixth forms. There's a completely different education system. So your older child would be in school. Edinburgh is quite expensive though - won't be much better off than south of England.

Glasgow I'd consider west end if you want to live in the city. Again it's expensive but very cosmopolitan.

Splattymouse Tue 06-Oct-20 12:56:33

Brighton

citycitycity Tue 06-Oct-20 13:12:58

how easy would it be to move from English to Scottish school system? We will move when DD1 finishes her GCSEs.

JoJoSM2 Tue 06-Oct-20 14:26:00

So what would your budget be? I do wonder if I could find you somewhere in London as it’s not all 2M/house.

PamDemic Tue 06-Oct-20 14:26:20

You're going to get loads of recommendations based on that OP. practically every city fits your bill.

What else do you like doing? Where are family based? where are your jobs? Where have you lived before and don't like?

You see I wouldn't live north (although would contemplate Edinburgh) because of the weather and the darkness. I don't like rain, and i need it warmer.

If it were me, I'd be looking at Cambridge, Bristol or Brighton. (or London). Not Bath although it's pretty. I'd go for Cambridge actually based on your OP.

CounsellorTroi Tue 06-Oct-20 14:26:22

Cardiff

Johnny1963 Tue 06-Oct-20 14:28:25

Leicester, Cardiff, Norwich or Glasgow.

VenusClapTrap Tue 06-Oct-20 14:31:37

Brighton would tick all those boxes.

orangenasturtium Tue 06-Oct-20 14:53:10

Oxford and Exeter are 2 more to consider, although Oxford is not much cheaper than London. It's probably where I would choose to live as a second choice after London for the cultural life sorry that sounds pretentious. There is so much going on. Plus it is close enough to London to go out there for an evening (the Oxford Tube takes an hour if there is no traffic).

Exeter is small but it does have the advantage of being near beaches. Exeter College offer the IB, as well as A levels, and get outstanding results (one third of students achieve above 40 points, which is higher than most Oxbridge/med school standard offers). There is a 2 hour fast train into London.

Newname1236 Tue 06-Oct-20 15:10:57

Newcastle,Belfast,Manchester newcastle and Belfast definitely get a lot more for your money

midsomermurderess Tue 06-Oct-20 16:03:53

Edinburgh, or Glasgow. Not such an easy move if you are rooted in England I suppose.

PinkJellycat Tue 06-Oct-20 16:13:13

Second Bristol. Clifton or Redland areas would fit your specifications nicely.

Abendintheriver Tue 06-Oct-20 16:16:16

York? Might be a bit small though.

Lightsabre Tue 06-Oct-20 16:34:54

Budget?

AlecTrevelyan006 Tue 06-Oct-20 16:36:40

Birmingham or Nottingham

but given the state of our economy who knows what will still be open next year?

citycitycity Tue 06-Oct-20 16:52:45

Thanks for all the replies. In terms of what I like, until recently I would have said I quite like the slower pace of being suburban, but I went back to work in London and I really enjoy being able to go out to to many different places. More recently with lockdown I have realised that my local area is really quite dull (now the children are growing up and we don't get so involved in the kids things).

Although I like going out, I also like to pick up the children from school and spend time with them, so I think ideally I would live somewhere that I could be at home straight after school and then go out later in the evening. (This is all obviously after Covid!)

We have been looking at houses locally and it's then that I realised there isn't actually much to do here. My eldest DD also wants to be somewhere livelier and I can see my youngest going the same way when she is older.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in