Talk

Advanced search

Moving house tips please?

(59 Posts)
hotchocolate86 Sat 19-Jan-19 11:54:13

Thank you so much for the tips so far. Unfortunately I can’t afford packers but I will definitely take the advice to do an overnight bag and essentials box. That’s excellent advice.
I’ve got some boxes to begin packing things we don’t use much and can manage without.
Hopefully I can manage getting a few days overlap between this property and the new one to move so I have time to move and do a thorough clean.

ChesterGreySideboard Sat 19-Jan-19 11:52:02

Go through your stuff and get rid of anything you don’t need. Don’t pay to move it. So much can be packed now, books, dvds, summer clothes, ornaments, all the cooking stuff you don’t need every day.
I got boxes from my local John Lewis. I asked at customer services and they saved them for me.

Southwest12 Sat 19-Jan-19 11:50:03

Pay the movers to pack. I think I paid about £400 for a 2 bed in London, but I had a lot of stuff. I’d have paid double, it was amazing. They turned up at 9am and it didn’t look like I was moving. By 4pm everything was packed.

GreenTulips Sat 19-Jan-19 11:43:07

Box of essentials
Scissors tape cups teabags screwdrivers phone book takeaway menus biscuits pen paper for meters cat food! Phone numbers for solicitors etc spare money kettle cleaning clothes spray
Suitcase for overnight pjs toothbrushes knickers clothes for the next day
Wash bedding on the days before - put each bed in a bin bag so it’s ready to go on in the new house

KitKat1985 Sat 19-Jan-19 11:36:57

Get packers if you can afford it! So much less hassle! We moved last year and they came and packed the day before, and moved everything for us on the day. We (me and DH) have two young kids and were both working full time up the time we moved, so it was invaluable!

Do however pack up an overnight bag for your first night or two with essentials clothes etc in for your first night, and put aside a box of moving essentials so they don't get packed (mugs, teabags, teasponns, biscuits, marker pens, tape etc). Also always worth taking a tape measure with you on the day.

Oh and write a list of who you need to notify of your new address.

Pashazade Sat 19-Jan-19 11:36:53

If you are moving cats take them to the new house and lock them in the bathroom with food water etc. Assuming there's a separate toilet you won't then need people in and out and they can be kept apart from the chaos. Whatever you do don't put them in a room with an open fire place they can disappear up chimneys!!

DisplayPurposesOnly Sat 19-Jan-19 11:34:30

Get the movers to do the packing grin

Put pets into boarding for a few days (or see if family or friends can have them) if they're likely to be underfoot or upset by the disruption.

Pack an overnight bag. Have things like necessary papers, tea/coffee making things easily accessible.

Make a list of utilities you need to change. Take photos of meters at old and new house on departure and arrival.

Redirect mail for a couple of months whilst you update everyone. Make a note of what gets redirected so you can make a note to update them.

userschmoozer Sat 19-Jan-19 11:32:51

Start packing things you don't need now, and get rid of any clutter, don't pay to move it.
Use a removal company that does the packing.
Keep back a box of emergency supplies like the kettle, some mugs and tea things, some plates and cutlery, and take them with you.

hotchocolate86 Sat 19-Jan-19 11:28:17

It’s likely I will be moving house in the next month or two. Can I ask for your top tips to make it as easy and painless as possible?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »