Talk

Advanced search

Wii, PS3 or Xbox 360...please help me choose

(22 Posts)
Kerrymumbles Wed 14-Oct-09 21:06:02

the dc have absolutely no clue. It changes from day to day. They already have a PS2 and Nintendo DS.

Which one?

It is their joint xmas pressie this year.

Am liking the £140 price tag of the Wii tbh. But how many controls does it come with and are the games expensive and does anyone know if you can use U.S. Wii games here like you can with the DS?

Kerrymumbles Wed 14-Oct-09 21:16:45

someone?

GrandhighBOOba Wed 14-Oct-09 22:21:08

How old are the DCs?

Wii comes with one controler and one numbchuck - for two player games, you will need another one. IME, the Wii is best for playing in groups, very silly fun. (Also good for adults after DCs in bed!)There are plenty of games to appeal to young kids and to girls. However, limited appeal for the teenage boy market - the shoot em ups are not that good, and its heavy on the mario silliness. I love it. The DSSs(ages 18 and 14) like it, and will play occasionally if we have guests about, but not really on their own.

X-box more grown up, and more boy orientated - lots of shoot em ups of the goriest type, cars and sports - also good for online play, but more of a teenage thing. My DSSs are never off theirs

Don't know so much about PS3, but I have a feeling that they are similar to the X-box, better graphics though, I think, and I think you can browse the internet with it.

Can you tell we are all game nerds in this house? grin

Kerrymumbles Wed 14-Oct-09 22:22:52

they will be 7 and 11 for xmas.

herbietea Wed 14-Oct-09 22:27:10

Message withdrawn

morethanyoubargainfor Wed 14-Oct-09 22:29:49

another vote for the wii, they are great.

bloodredcherrymonster Thu 15-Oct-09 11:59:30

i am buying a wii for the whle family for christmas. there are me (28), db (26), ds1 (nearly 11), ds2 (8), dd1(nearly 5) and dd2 (nearly 4). i fully expect everyone will find a game they like and can play, the girls will love the dancing ones and such

VickyA Thu 15-Oct-09 12:28:29

PS3 has more traditional games - driving, jumping/arcade, and of course shooting etc for older kids - not forgetting the fabulous Little Big Planet which has allowed my 6 yr old DS to design his own game levels and do all sorts of techie stuff. Oh, and the Eye Pet, which is soooooo sweet! It isn't anywhere near as active as the Wii, although there is supposed to be a motion sensor thingy coming in the next year.

Where it comes into its own is as a media centre - it connects to your router via wifi, and can access material from eg your laptop which is also on wifi, so you can view your photos, videos and music through the PS3 on the TV it's hooked up to - it's our 37" in our lounge so it's nice to see the photos so big... You can surf the net, and also can easily access i-player. You can also play blu-ray discs, as well as dvds and CDs.

You can buy an add-on (about £60 I think)which allows you to use the PS3 as a sort of sky+ box, so it can record TV. If you then bought a PSP, you can apparently watch whatever's recorded on the PS3 remotely anywhere in the world. Spooky!

The downside of new(ish) PS3s is that they're no longer backwards compatible - the first ones were able to play most PS2 games, which is obviously a bonus if you already have them.

You might guess, I think the PS3 is fab, in a vaguely witchcrafty-sort of way - how on earth can it access my laptop, when I sometimes struggle - how??? But I still yearn for a Wii, even though most people I know who have them only use them periodically, as they're simply games machines.

Hope you're still awake after that, and good luck deciding! Keep an eye out on hotukdeals.com for deals on any of the systems.

catinthehat2 Thu 15-Oct-09 12:37:50

Wii, but budget for an extra remote/nunchuk so you can do boxing & tennis more easily.
I'm fairly anti consoles, but teh Wii is much more sociable.

ChopsTheDuck Thu 15-Oct-09 12:39:21

ps3.

I've had a wii, and sold that. The graphics are absolutely awful, and the games are generally full of glitches. The xbox is good, but the ps3 is far better.

We're buying a ps3 for a family xmas present, and getting things like the microhphones for dd, and maybe rock band for ds, little big planet for the dts, etc.

I think especially for older children the ps3 has got to win hands down. Amazon have quite a good offer on atm, for a ps3 and three games.

notagrannyyet Thu 15-Oct-09 12:44:49

My 3 boys 16, 14 & 12 all share Xbox 360. All would play for hours if I didn't limit it. Main problem is some games are unsuitable for 12 year old but he sneaks in with the others when my backs turned.

They play on Wii at their older brother's house and at friends. I am resisting getting one for home because I know It will take over big TV in the lounge.

16 year old is saving for a PS3 of his own.
He has a PS2 but doesn't use it anymore.

FrightsMonth Thu 15-Oct-09 13:03:21

You will need UK spec games for the Wii (unlike the DS).

Definately need an extra remote & nunchuck, for about £40, so they can play together. My DC (8,7,6) love theirs, and so do I - even after two years it gets played daily.

My older nephews (teenagers) have x-box, for shoot em up games and guitar hero. I think the Wii is more fun and sociable, which is better for the younger ones.

Quite a few deals around with free games etc.

Kerrymumbles Fri 16-Oct-09 09:27:36

urgh so maybe ps3 is best because they're getting older?

i thought the wii would be a good idea....

spacedog Fri 16-Oct-09 10:21:37

At 7 and 11 I would say the Wii, for teenagers upwards or only children I would say the PS3.

GrandhighBOOba Fri 16-Oct-09 17:08:56

I would go with the Wii - they will enjoy for years. Guitar hero etc is also available on the Wii.

Milliways Fri 16-Oct-09 17:16:32

PS3! You get an inbuilt blu-ray player, also plays normal DVD's , stores music, browsws web etc etc.

DS likes to go to you-tube and save clips on PS3 then play on TV later.

The graphics are fab

Kerrymumbles Fri 16-Oct-09 19:22:10

ok. think i'll go for wii this year, maybe ps3 next.

What games then?

frazzled74 Sun 18-Oct-09 22:24:58

we have family trainer and winter sports as well as wii fit.Family trainer is good and kept my 3 plus guests very happy last christmas.

idobelieveinfairies Mon 19-Oct-09 14:09:05

We have all the mentioned (lots of children)..the younger ones play with the Wii-they are 2 x 5yrs and 2 x 8yrs. The older ones (14 and 10) play on the x-box and ds11 plays on the ps3.

The ps3's are good but more expensive but never had any problems with it.

The x-box is cheaper but it has been returned and fixed once and over-heats regularly.

I do think as the boys get older then they go more for the good graphics which the WII hasn't got.

TeamAlesha Mon 19-Oct-09 14:14:22

I would say an xbox.

mumblechum Mon 19-Oct-09 14:17:16

PS3 because

1. the graphics are way better than XBox

2. It's a blueray dvd player as well

3. It also accesses the internet

4. You don't pay extra to play online, but you do with the Xbox.

5. Wiis are ok for littlies but the choice of games, given your boys ages, is nowhere near as good as the ps3.

<<can you see I DO listen to ds?>>

mumblechum Mon 19-Oct-09 14:18:08

Oh yes and lots of boys we know with Xboxes have had to send them back. One didn't work right from Xmas day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now