Talk

Advanced search

Fruit for Xmas cake, how long to soak?

(6 Posts)
storminabuttercup Thu 01-Nov-12 15:50:21

Last year I only did it over night, will it be better soaked longer. I don't know how it tasted (long mil involved story) this year I want it to be perfect.

Advice appreciated.

TeamEdward Thu 01-Nov-12 15:52:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

reastie Thu 01-Nov-12 18:34:58

I do mine overnight too, but add alot a bit more alcohol that it says. Also don't forget to feed the cake with alcohol too after it's cooked in the run up to christmas.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 03-Nov-12 16:19:10

When I've soaked fruit (I only use sultanas in Amaretto because I like a light cake and I love almond) I soak it until it's all absorbed- so maybe 24 hours in a sealed Lock and Lock tub (then I can give it a shake up).

I was hmm about doing a cake this year- last year I only ate one slice, (DH and the DC don't eat it) so it sat there until I got fed up with it.
But I'm going to do a fruit/nut cake to eat with crumbly cheese (like I had in York ,it was lush ) wink

sooperdooper Sat 03-Nov-12 17:29:32

I soak it overnight, I think feeding it afterwards is more important than how long you soak it initially

OhYoubadbadKitten Sat 03-Nov-12 17:39:10

I do mine for a week, adding a fair bit more than the recipe suggests and mixing it all every couple of days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now