Talk

Advanced search

Christmas gift for someone going to do volunteer work in a developing country?

(9 Posts)
DoIDare Sat 20-Oct-12 12:42:30

My female friend is going away! She will have to travel very light. Any ideas for useful gifts? Or something that could bring a little bit of portable luxury?

poppycat04 Sat 20-Oct-12 12:46:55

When we were abroad doing the same my friend's mum would collect all the posh trial samples from the beauty counters in Boots and post them over... They were very much appreciated!

DoIDare Sat 20-Oct-12 13:01:54

Lovely idea

Engelsemama Sat 20-Oct-12 13:09:54

Travel plug and travel wash.
Ear plugs and eye mask for sleeping.
Journal.
Penknife (best present I got before I went travelling).

Shallishanti Sat 20-Oct-12 13:11:41

a kindle

NotALondoner Sat 20-Oct-12 13:14:03

individual cappucino sachets?

NotALondoner Sat 20-Oct-12 13:14:49

Solar charger for kindle etc.

Zorra Sat 20-Oct-12 15:53:38

Ask her first - I've done this a few times, and lots of people got me the same things. There may also be things they will help her with, mosquito nets etc. Also depends where she's going.

When I went very rural, my brother bought me a lightweight wind-up radio, which was priceless. Also find out if she has a kindle/similar: another friend more recently paid for a magazine subscription for mine. Smaller things are shampoo bars (Lush do one with a tin), nice high SPF lipbalm, or the citronella roll-on things / Burts Bees small tins of mosquito repellent.

If she's away for a long time, and has access to post, save your money and give her an IOU for a postcard/tiny present in the post during the year. I loved these and they were much appreciated!

DoIDare Sat 20-Oct-12 15:59:48

She is v organised, so will no doubt sort practical things. I was trying to think of slightly luxurious things when accommodations are a bit basic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now