The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Ebay Christmas challenge continuing into the new year!

(475 Posts)
Tortoise Mon 10-Dec-12 21:44:51

Last thread full so starting new one.
Still time to make a few quid before Christmas.
Could be good for those unwanted presents after Christmas! grin

lljkk Sat 08-Jun-13 11:38:30

Think that is good advice Fergoose smile.

fergoose Sat 08-Jun-13 11:43:04

I don't know any seller who would refund before a return - and I think your buyer is trying it on big time, I bet they would never return it and you would have lost your item and your money.

Can you escalate the case? How long until it closes?

lljkk Sat 08-Jun-13 11:53:02

I don't see an option to escalate. I don't know if I dare escalate, the discussion boards all say it is a terrible tactic and Ebay is immediately biased against sellers who escalate.

Seller opened case on 3 June. I thought seller had to wait 8 days before they could escalate, but this implies they have 90 days to escalate. I think it will have to leave it in their hands now.

fergoose Sat 08-Jun-13 12:33:06

I agree - sit on your hands and do nothing.

Tortoise Thu 13-Jun-13 10:54:18

Just had an email saying free listing today on 10 day listings. I do have a few bits I can list.

PurpleFrog Thu 13-Jun-13 13:55:01

You beat me too it Tortoise!

I'm not sure if I will get any done tonight. I just did re-lists on Sunday as I had nothing new prepared to list. I did get a bit of de-cluttering done though. I am trying to be ruthless... well, a bit more than usual. grin Cherry-picking small items to eBay is not really helping my overall clutter problem, so I am trying to use my time more constructively in that area at present. I took a bag of books to the charity shop yesterday, and have started packing another with general bric-a-brac etc..

I still want to list some summery clothes that dd has grown out of, but most of them still have to be washed. On Sunday I was going to photograph a 2-piece swimsuit that I remembered was immaculate - only it turned out to have some bobbles on the back and be full of sand. Sigh!

Tortoise Thu 13-Jun-13 14:19:43

I've taken photos of everything to be listed! Quite a lot of clothes that I found in the cupboard. Also have a top and trousers sun suit but will start it at 99p as its got a few bobbles on the bum and sand in it! Too good to chuck out. Will just list honestly.

PurpleFrog Thu 13-Jun-13 14:45:31

I will still list the swimsuit, but every time I tried to take a photo I could see sand twinkling at me. I thought I would get away with photographing then washing, but decided I really need to wash it first!

Tortoise Thu 13-Jun-13 23:18:43

Well, I didn't get everything listed but got as many as possible done.
Stupid Ebay app update slowed me down but might be ok once get used to it.

Well i am STILL not back up to standard to qualify for free listings despite all my stars being 4.85 and above.
So will be listing stuff tonight for 10 days to end on the monday and hopefully all the ebayers will have sold loads ending Sunday and be looking to buy smile
My most popular item at the moment is a red bikini ! My niece has just given me half a dozen more to list as she is up dating her summer wardrobe so will pop them on tomorrow too.
Even that has only been viewed about 15 times here
Do your listings get pushed down the search results if you are below standard ?
Good luck to everyone selling i was really hoping it would pick up a bit this month.

lljkk Fri 14-Jun-13 11:44:31

Boohoo, I got a Neg last week (virginity gone). So I can confirm that Ebay doesn't inform you in any way when you get non-positive f/back. Buyer never contacted me <<Shrug>>. The (separate) case against me hasn't been escalated either, seems to have gone quiet (doubt that's end of it). I am holding breath wondering when my selling will be restricted.

Massive bundle to charity shop if that happens. Kind of looking forward to it. We can still sell anything truly worthwhile under DH's account (phew).

PurpleFrog Fri 14-Jun-13 12:48:24

I didn't get anything listed last night after all. I don't have anything on this weekend so hopefully I will manage to do some more sorting-out. If I can at least get the summer clothes washed, ironed and photographed that would give me a head start for the next FLW. I wonder when that will be, given the random day this week? Many years ago I remember there were often 5p or 10p listing days on Thursdays!

lljkk - that is a pain about your negative. I seem to have had a lot of buyers who haven't bothered leaving feedback recently. Maybe I should be glad! I am steadily limping my way towards the 500 feedback mark, but at the moment my count is being boosted more by my buying, than my selling. hmm

lljkk Fri 14-Jun-13 12:53:37

I spoke too soon, Today trailer buyer has escalated case so I know where that case will go sad. Limping indeed. I registered on Ebay about 11 yrs ago to sell a single item, and my f/back is still just barely over 500.

PurpleFrog Fri 14-Jun-13 13:08:31

lljkk - sad

I have been registered on eBay since Jun 2002 and have been selling for over 10 years. However, I have had large periods of time within that when I haven't listed anything.

Tortoise Fri 14-Jun-13 14:20:06

Oh no lljkk, thats bad news (i'd be paranoid they are a mner reading this thread! grin
I joined EBay in 2006 and have 2195 feedback on business account (only been a business account for a year so most of that was from before) My other account is nearing 200 feedbacks I think.

Tortoise Fri 14-Jun-13 14:22:35

Just checked and am actually on 213 grin

lljkk Sat 15-Jun-13 15:53:00
lljkk Sun 16-Jun-13 08:07:02
PurpleFrog Mon 17-Jun-13 10:00:23

I sold 4 out or my 10 items last night! grin I am very surprised, considering they were all relists. I got some clothes washed and ironed over the weekend so will hopefully make a start on their photos/descriptions this week.

lljkk - that's a pain about MyHermes. The nearest shop to me that deals with them is 10 miles away, so I haven't tried them yet. Fortunately, I haven't had anything bigger than small parcel since the Royal Mail increases. I had a look at the link to the forum you sent. I can't believe that eBay accounts are being traded etc.. I am also a bit concerned about what you said on another thread about 2% low DSRs in a category being enough to flag you up to eBay. I have one undeserved low rating for dispatch as I mentioned above, but since I have only been left ratings for 91 of my sales in the past 12 months, that low rating is already 1.1% of my total. hmm

Tortoise Tue 18-Jun-13 12:28:02

Just had another message from Mr feedback chaser! It says 4 weeks and still no feedback!
I wonder how long he will keep chasing it for!

lljkk Tue 18-Jun-13 18:50:57

Oh FIG.
I didn't realise that when buyer wins a SNAD case that (on top of me the seller being out one lot of postage, £37+) that Ebay KEEPS the Final Value Fee. So that's another £15.60 out of my pocket, for a total loss to me of £53.

All because the buyer couldn't be asked to read the listing properly. sad angry.

Any loyalty I might ever have had to Ebay just evaporated.

Oh, and the best part? Ebay has refunded the buyer already even though the item hasn't arrived back to me yet, and I've no idea which courier the Buyer is supposed to have used (the tracking number Buyer sent doesn't work with Parcel Force, anyway).

Tortoise Tue 18-Jun-13 21:48:23

Sounds like a nightmare lljkk. EBay should be able to tell you the tracking number. They shouldn't refund until tracking shows as delivered.
When I had all the problems with laptop EBay did eventually agree to refund the fees after a few phone calls. Also you can appeal the case once you get it back although eBay do seem to favour the buyer if when they are in the wrong!

lljkk Wed 19-Jun-13 06:47:38

Buyer sent a tracking number, I don't know which courier it's for. I had assumed Parcelforce but Parcelforce tracking box says it's invalid. My guess is that item hasn't even been picked up from Buyer yet, and now Buyer has no reason to make that happen, anyway.

Been up since 3:30am, other Crap happening in my life anyway. sad. Just added everything up, I am £61 out of pocket on this transaction. And the icing on the cake is that buyer still gets to leave me feedback. I am trying to figure out if anything further can go wrong?
No item back, £61 out of pocket, and a sure negative on the way. It can't get any worse, right?

lljkk Wed 19-Jun-13 07:34:35

Ooh, I have indeed thought of a way it could all get much worse. Boring detail, but I won't be surprised if Ebay tries to get another full refund off of me in 6 days time.

And I warn you all now, I will rant next time someone mentions Seller fee avoidance. As far as I'm concerned, Ebay deserve no less.

lljkk Wed 19-Jun-13 07:58:54

(Sorry, I'm off to work soon will stop ranting soon)

Ebay did say in one message I could track parcel with Parcelforce.
Buyer sent a tracking number that links directly to UPS.
The tracking number Buyer sent fails with both couriers.
Having hunted around like crazy outside for a missing 22 kg x 1.5 metre long box, I have appealed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now