To take the body lotion and soap from a £250 a night hotel? They have asked for it back!!!

(886 Posts)
mum2sons Thu 05-Apr-07 09:36:37

DH and I spent our wedding anniversary in a v expensive boutique hotel. I took the body lotion and soap home as I usually would do (sad, but I get v excited about these things!)Yesterday we received a letter from the hotel asking for us to send the 2 items back for the future enjoyment of guests!!! Talk about humiliation! Looking forward to MNetters views

mayaswell Wed 18-Apr-12 10:57:03

Hahaha, I didnt realise how old this was, I googled the bloody hotel yesterday, it seems they survived! Looks nice actually...

SoupDragon Wed 18-Apr-12 10:33:22

ZOMBIE THREAD

Good lord! why do people bump random threads from years and years ago?

sashh Wed 18-Apr-12 10:28:26

Tell them you have chicken pox / rabies / lurgy and you will return them, but their other guests will be at risk

Insist on a full risk assessement of returniing them, including the dangers postal workers may be exposed to ensure you do not harm anyone whilst returning them. In fact suggest to them that they use a professional toxic waste courier to transport the toiletries back to you.

If you like I could go round in a suit witha clipboard and ask them what their health and safety policy is regarding the reuse of possibly infected products.

TattyDevine Tue 17-Apr-12 21:14:29

This is a great thread. I realised it was old on page one, the date caught my eye, god knows how. But I still read lots of it grin

I have stayed at this hotel in my pre child days. I'm amazed they would be so petty despite providing full "retail" size toiletries - they are not the only hotel to do that either, green or otherwise.

I'm glad I never take toiletries though, even the ickle ones, or I might have had egg on my face too, like the OP. I've never truly liked any of the toiletries that hotels have, and I'm not even that fond of Molton Brown. Not that I'm terribly snobby, theres stuff cheaper than Molton Brown that I do like, sometimes.

It took a couple of years of marriage to educate my husband that a couple of pilfered sample sized toiletries from a poxy hotel in Frankfurt or similar was not an acceptable "gift" for one's wife after a business trip hmm grin

ScarlettAlexandra Tue 17-Apr-12 20:52:43

did the hotel ever comment? got to page 12 and gave up lol.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 17-Apr-12 20:19:55

I remember this thread as well, in fact as soon as I saw the title I knew it was this thread. Wasn't it Strattons in Norfolk? <good memory>

A gorgeous hotel that I've been to had to change their soap dispensers as people were heaving the giant Molton Brown ones off the walls.

They have also had people steal their communal hair straighteners (meter GHD's) by snipping the wires.

If I'm going somewhere swish for a weekend I am not thinking about what fixtures I can lynch!

jinglymum Tue 17-Apr-12 20:09:29

Oh dear kickingk what for? Stealing more soap?

cherrypieplum Tue 17-Apr-12 19:52:51

Haha! Just realised how old this is!!

cherrypieplum Tue 17-Apr-12 19:50:55

Tell them you work for environmental health and took them away for testing after receiving complaints about the bottles are being reused!!

FayKnights Tue 17-Apr-12 19:28:32

lol kickingk, i didn't realise it was 5 years old either! Thanks for the conclusion Karma I couldn't do another 20 pages.

kickingKcurlyC Tue 17-Apr-12 19:24:20

Oh my god. I know mum2sons! She's in prison now.

fedupofnamechanging Tue 17-Apr-12 19:23:09

The conclusion was that she sent the bottles back, along with an email about how embarrassing this all was. She did name and shame and the hotel sent her back a letter about how expensive these products are (£100 per room on the six refillable bottles) and how if everyone took them it would push the room rate up. But the OP only took 2 bottles and the retail price is not the price the hotel would have paid.

So basically they alienated and upset someone who'd spent £500 in their hotel, over lotions which only cost them a few quid.

suebfg Tue 17-Apr-12 19:08:41

Haven't read the earlier posts but have you named and shamed?

thenightsky Tue 17-Apr-12 19:06:42

I remember this thread! Argh that I've been wasting years mumsnetting for so long!

FoofFighterYNWAJFT96 Tue 17-Apr-12 19:04:29

I want to stay in the "*Fantouche*" room grin

amandine07 Tue 17-Apr-12 19:02:52

I noticed there were 35 pages of posts but I couldn't be arse to read through it all, I wondered how on earth this topic could have stretched to that many pages since this morning!!

Did the OP send back the stuff in the end? did she complain to the hotel?!

<clearly too much time on my hands, should make more use of my evenings>

amandine07 Tue 17-Apr-12 18:59:43

Got to page 5 or so then decided to skip to the last page & now realise the thread is 5 years old...the posts did make me chuckle!grin

fedupofnamechanging Tue 17-Apr-12 18:59:10

I was wondering how I could have missed this gem, before I noticed the date!

Also, we keep bumping this thread, so some poor sod is currently ploughing their way through it, as we speak, under the illusion that it's new grin

Apologies MNers, when you reach this post

I remember reading this too.....FIVE YEARS AGO?!?!?!?!?!

Jesus Christ, five years. Five years plus the rest wasted reading mumsnet grin

Also feels very old, remember this golden oldie

0bviously0blivious Tue 17-Apr-12 18:56:43

It was my 27th birthday when this thread was posted. I wish I'd been at a boutique hotel <sniff>

Oh no and 5y after saying I stay in travel lodges...guess where I'm staying tonight? Pack my own soap these days though

MargueritaaPracatan Tue 17-Apr-12 18:52:51

Bloody hell, I remember this the first time round!

tthithis wss a blast from the past. I posted the second reply smile will have been 8 and half months pregnant then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now