Storm forecasts for this week (perhaps some severe storms)

(221 Posts)

This follows on from another thread but I thought a more explicit title was needed!

Its a complex situation and lots going on this week. There is potential for severe storms perhaps (definition of a severe storm is large hail, frequent cloud-ground lightning, flooding and tornadoes - hopefully not all in the same storm unless its a real good 'un!)

Estofex have issued a level 1 alert for storms for today and tomorrow.

For our storm forecasts today I'm going to hand you over to some experts on UKWW It's a really complex situation and they are way better at it than me (especially as my time is very limited before work). If you've got any questions about what they are saying don't hesitate to ask smile I'm out this morning but back at lunch time for a bit.

OddSockMonster Mon 22-Jul-13 07:50:35

I would say 'cool, I love a good storm', but I wouldn't wish flooding on anyone. Hope no-one gets all that lot too bad all at once!

Glad of the light rain here at the moment anyway. And cool link Kitten, loving the iso-whatever they are pictures.

TwasBrillig Mon 22-Jul-13 07:51:44

Ooh I love a good storm (assuming no one gets hurt etc). Will Dorset get more??

OddSockMonster Mon 22-Jul-13 07:53:44

And also loving comments like "The latter would translate into a veritable deluge if a storm developed within the airmass!"

Just don't get enough of that sort of thing in everyday conversation.

smile
I'll try and explain some of them later!

I love a good storm too!

While I'm not around keep an eye on
raintoday radar See the small cell in the SE and the monster cell in France. It doesnt pick up some of the really small scale cells but you can get an idea of what is brewing.

Right, teeth and hair, else I'll be late!

OddSockMonster Mon 22-Jul-13 07:55:20

I saw Dorset mentioned just now ...

According to that forum yes, this morning coming off the Channel before heading towards Wales.

no guarantees TwasBrillig, but the SW is in the potential firing line.

OddSockMonster Mon 22-Jul-13 07:57:43

Is that for rain that's already happened?

TwasBrillig Mon 22-Jul-13 07:58:47

Oooh more :-)

TwasBrillig Mon 22-Jul-13 07:59:23

I came online about midnight last night wondering if there was a kitten thread :-)

oddsock - its not good at picking up very light stuff, but that is an actual radar image with predicted movement.

see you all later smile

TobyLerone Mon 22-Jul-13 08:20:52

Nothing in my part of Kent yet. Lovely sunshine!

digerd Mon 22-Jul-13 08:33:42

Sultry this morning, but out of the blue while the sun was shining we had drizzle, then a loud clap of thunder and a few minutes of rain.
Now hazy sunshine. 18 degrees.

No surprise that the newspaper said " Today will be the hottest day of the year at 34 and very humid. Tomorrow wet and drop in temperatures". But they may have got it right by the afternoon - who knows?
SE

Marking my place - camping interest! shock

magimedi Mon 22-Jul-13 09:48:12

East Sussex coast here. 25C & thin high cloud & very still.

Where abouts are you digerd ? (If you don't mind me asking?)

Stellarpunk Mon 22-Jul-13 09:54:50

Snap educatingarti! Marking place with interest!

Great work btw OP!

digerd Mon 22-Jul-13 10:04:39

magimedi SE - just north of London in the Lea Valley area.

magimedi Mon 22-Jul-13 10:07:38

flowers digerd

To be more specific I'm just East of Beach Head (which has a huge influence on our weather) .

KrazyKurls Mon 22-Jul-13 10:08:30

I love a good storm but I'm on a ferry across the Irish Sea on Wednesday and need a calm crossing, 3 little children and a travel sick mum is not a good combination!

I love these weather threads <hugs self> I'm in South Derbyshire, and it's very grey, a bit drizzly and not overly warm atm. I'd love a good storm.

magimedi Mon 22-Jul-13 10:11:26

BeachY Head - obv.

stubbornstains Mon 22-Jul-13 10:14:37

Oooooh....Planning to go camping next weekend and early next week here in Cornwall....Hopefully it will have blown over by then...

(Overcast and calm here at the mo)

johnworf Mon 22-Jul-13 10:27:20

Marking place.

GloriaSmud Mon 22-Jul-13 13:23:46

30C here (Leicester) with quite a nice breeze. Going by the metoffice weather warnings, think we're more likely to get thunderstorms overnight and into tomorrow rather than today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now