Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

February 2011- the one where life gets better for all of us.

(1000 Posts)
GOLDdebka Tue 25-Sep-12 21:24:03

New thread open for business!!

I am anticipating MUCH weight loss, job improvements, sleeping babies, good health and one very eagerly anticipated BFP. smile

reastie Wed 23-Jan-13 16:55:57

Ha wiggles that mention of Mr Tumble has just reminded me I had a dream that Alice and I were stalkering Justin around a restaurant last night grin . Lucky girls getting a snow day - no such luck for me having a day off here but lots of snow still around. Glad Mr W got a day off but hmm to spending it in ikea!

ponyo oh dear. Hope she gets better soon. Just typical with the new job isn't it!

american hope the job is going well and your enjoying all that extra money!

So, with 2nd birthdays coming up, what has everyone got the babies? We've got Alice a few smallish bits but nothing big. She's got a cuckoo clock for her room which oinks with a pig coming out of it every hour it'll drive us nuts for sure and the back catalogue of hairy maclairy books - she has 2 and loves them plus a few other bits and pieces. Are people doing parties? We've just got my parents and PIL coming over for lunch as our party. Debating what to cook and considering fish fingers, garlic bread and beans with a side order of grated cheese and houmous for everyone as they're Alices favourites grin

wigglesrock Thu 24-Jan-13 09:27:53

reastie Anna is getting the Ikea kitchen its mainly for me, a proper kitchen being one of my fantasy childhood toys blush

Mr W is working all around As birthday so we're just having grandparents, aunts etc coming round. He isn't going to be there so its a Mr Marks and Spencer sponsored party food party grin

My niece Emma is 1 shock the week before so my sister is doing a big party,for everyone and their Mother grin

Shall I put up a list of birthdays? I know its Miss Dillys this weekend and thats really the start of the birthdays.

I can't believe we're already having 2nd birthdays. shock Where have our babies gone? [weep] Nothing big planned for L's birthday. My parents and sister are coming for the weekend, FIL might visit too (should be interesting) and I'm going to attempt to make him an Elmo cake. I don't know what we're getting him, he already has a kitchen from Christmas. Maybe some toddler-sized Lego blocks.

wiggles - I love Ikea, I do. grin I'm away to The Big City to visit some uni friends in a few weeks and I'm scheduling a stop at Ikea. [rubs hands gleefully] Ikea with no toddler = bliss (and coffee and cake from the cafe doesn't hurt).

reastie - I haven't actually been paid yet (still a week to go) but they gave me a nice starting bonus that we're dipping into for L's nursery fees this month. We're trying not to think of my salary as extra money though, nearly all (after nursery fees) is going into savings for a house.

It's bloody cold here, -5C during the day and dropping to -15C overnight (was -19C a few days ago). Our heating has gone wonky and won't shut off so we have the windows open to keep it at 20C. hmm Hopefully the landlord sorts it today because L and I can't sleep very well in that temp.

ILovePonyo Thu 24-Jan-13 20:53:40

Hi folks,

A made a miraculous overnight recovery and was back at nursery yesterday shock and is on top form today. She had her 2 year check with hv today, all well though she only weighs 17lbs which surprised me. Funny story - the health visitor asked if she was talking, I said yes really well, hv asked if A knew 2 or 3 words?! Is it bad I was annoyed she wrote that A knows 2 or 3 words in the book, she knows loads ffs grin anyway A was chatting away by the end of the visit, hv looked quite surprised at how much she could say.

wiggles and reastie I have decided I too am buying a A an ikea kitchen, it sounds lovely. How much ££ please? reastie massive grin at pig cuckoo clock, where did you find that?!

No plan for A's birthday. I was thinking we could go somewhere like twycross zoo but keep forgetting how bitter cold it will be, rubbish.

american cold sounds grim sad Stupid heating, hope it gets fixed soon. Am v impressed at your saving for a house. In a years time we will get 15 free hours for A at nursery (fingers crossed) I cannot bloody wait. i will hopefully save the money we save rather than spend it on crap.

Watching the celeb bake off, bless mary berry being nice about Ed byrne's crap cake smile

wigglesrock Fri 25-Jan-13 09:47:41

ponyo this is said kitchen. The girls don't usually get that much for their birthdays but rubber duck it, I want to get it for her grin

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S49874533

I don't have any clue what Anna weighs - off to have a nosy.

Anna has lots of words but tbh I put that down to S and O and a diet of Something Special, Peppa Pig and CBebbies in general blush All of the girls were great talkers - again I credit tv grin

Anna can get into a the prenursery nursery Olivia went to from this December but I'm not sure what to do.

ILovePonyo Fri 25-Jan-13 11:59:59

£90?!?! shock It's ikea, I thought it was meant to be cheap! wink

Wiggles yes I credit the tv with A's vocab too, peppa pig especially has taught her dinosaur and NO! In a loud voice. When will A start nursery? What is it your unsure about? ( or did I read that wrong!)

Just having dinner at work, it's meant to snow again later then be done by Sunday. Fingers crossed...

wigglesrock Fri 25-Jan-13 12:52:22

ponyo I know, but to be honest her kitchen will probably get more use than mine grin

The preschool that Olivia went to runs a 2 year course but I only want to access the first year of it, which Anna can start in December 2013 then stay until June 2014 and start her proper nursery school (before she starts primary school) in September 2014 (clear as mud). So I feel guilty taking a place up knowing that she'll not be returning for the second year. Although the year I did it with Olivia it was commonplace and the school are just glad someone takes the places therefore continuing the funding. I just feel guilty blush.

There's no rush to apply, if there still have places left by Easter I think I'll ring them. I'm not sure why I feel so guilty about it.

Its nothing to do with Anna going to pre-school, you know me I'm a great believer in getting them out to school as soon as you can - its the working class Catholic in me - Education, Education Education grin

Anna says dinosaw just like her hero George grin

debka hope all is well and you're floating about?

wigglesrock Fri 25-Jan-13 13:14:41

[snore] [snore] Oh look I bored myself grin

reastie Fri 25-Jan-13 14:03:00

wiggles grin . It's the catholic guilt you must have wink

ponyo we bought a lovely wooden kitchen for Alice for about £30 - it had barely been used and is lovely. I am the same as wiggles - I always wanted a toy kitchen when I was little so I'm living vicariously through Alice a little blush . The ikea kitchen is a really nice one FWIW - a friend of Alice's has it and the hob lights up when you press the buttons and everything <gets a tad excited>

Am awaiting an appointment for Alice's 2 year check as she hasn't been weighed or checked since she was 6 months shock . We've weighed her on my scales though and she's 1 stone 11. Also been waiting since August for an appointment with someone on the NHS to check her feet as she still pigeon toes and trips over herself with it.

Ponyo - I always have the same reaction at Ikea. grin A is tiny. shock L was just under 26lbs earlier this month (weighed at the GP) and was nearly 24lbs at 1 year. He's tall and slim but solidly built iykwim.

reastie - can you phone the HV (think you might have had some problems with her?) or GP to discuss Alice's feet? Especially as she's tripping over them.

Ponyo - I really got motivated to buy a house after I discovered that it's legal to have up to 4 hens in the back garden. grin I have also signed up for a class on backyard hens at the college for the spring. DH just rolls his eyes at me but I'm v excited. grin

L is speaking quite a lot too, even counting shock (but he sometimes skips from 3 to 8). I blame Sesame Street. blush

Has everyone moved the babies into a regular bed? I'm resisting with L, I think he still needs to be confined but he sleeps fine on a mat at nursery.

ILovePonyo Fri 25-Jan-13 15:39:53

american its weird bcos A doesn't seem small for her age, although at nursery she's one of the bigger ones now, well that'll change when she goes into the next room up next month! grin at hens and your hen class, sounds interesting though, some hens look quite cuddly and cute. There was a woman on come dine with me who had nice hens confused

grin wiggles its not boring, I understand now! I was wondering if you were unsure about sending your precious 3rd born off to nursery but didn't think that was the case wink Deffo don't feel guilty. That is my advice grin

reastie agree with american, chase up the doc/whoever re: A's feet. I'd keep ringing until you get to see someone properly.

Yes who is still putting baby in a cot?? A is still in cot, she rolls about a bit in the night so think she'd just roll out of a bed. Plus she's not been settling for the past few weeks nights, so wouldn't want her getting out of bed and coming to us <mean>

reastie Fri 25-Jan-13 18:12:45

american I think it's exciting to get hens! We used to have chickens but they kept being got by the foxes sad . I'm planning to do upholstery classes when Alice is at nursery/school as we've got antique dining chairs awaiting for me to reupholster - it's a few years away but I'm already excited blush . Btw Alice is in a bed bed. It works really well for us as we like that she can get up herself and come into us when she wakes up rather than just screaming and we don't leave her crying at night <softy>. But then, she's a bad sleeper and often gets up in the night. It's definitely been an easy move for us to get her in a big bed, but whatever works for you and Leo really as he might like his cot.

Re: ALice's feet - have been to HV and GP already about this. They've referred me on but it's the referral that's taking so long to get the appointment. Am thinking of taking her privately for one appointment to check if she needs insoles or anything in her shoes so she can get them sooner rather than later.

PIL have a party tomorrow so really looking forward to going hmm

ILovePonyo Fri 25-Jan-13 18:20:14

Reastie do you leave a light on over night? Now I'm thinking we could put A in her own bed so she could come into us rather than standing at the end of her cot and crying sad

We don't leave him to cry if he wakes but sometimes he will whinge then settle himself back to sleep so I'm worried he'll get up when that happens (instead of just going back to sleep). I'm also worried that he'll just wander around the flat and get into things he shouldn't. I'm really undecided about it.

I forgot to mention that we got him to do a poo in the toilet last night. grin He said "poo" so I rushed him to the bathroom and after a few false starts (including a wee in the empty bathtub). His reward was flushing the toilet which is a special treat for him. grin

reastie Fri 25-Jan-13 19:15:49

ponyo we have a little night light in her room so she can see enough to find us. I also tell DH to leave the landing light on but usually he doesn't . We have a stairgate at the top of the stairs so there's nowhere really to go except to us. I love the morning stagger she does into my room - reminds me of mad Jack Nicholson in the shining when he drags the axe around at the end wink . She doesn't really seem interested in creating havoc at night - more at getting one of us up. But, seriously, whatever works for you. Apparently I loved my cot when I was a baby and was in it till I was nearly 3 and too big to lie in it wink . We have noticed though that often when she wakes at night she'll ask for food so we'll give her an oatcake and drink. She usually settles back to sleep soon after but we're getting a bit hmm as to whether to give her food and if she really wants/needs it or not snd we don't want it to be a habit, but, it's tempting just to give her something to eat as she settles afterwards whereas if we don't she just moans/crys and we find it hard to settle her down again.

American go Leo pooing in the loo. We are nowhere near potty training here I don't think.

wigglesrock Fri 25-Jan-13 19:24:22

Anna has been in a single bed for ages, she's not a wanderer, she just lies there and shouts for us me. Because of Mr W shifts I find it easier to get in with Anna now rather than bring her in with us. He's up at 5.30am some mornings and occasionally Anna will go to 6 shock grin

americanexpat can you put a stairgate on the door of Ls room? - so he can't get out. I do believe there is a great chicken keeping section on Mumsnet. Well, it might be an elaborate cover for the Bumsex threads but supposeably grin its good - quite a few posters on here keep chickens/hens - things I like to eat wink

Anna does a wee in the toilet every night before her bath and today on the school run - she kept shouting "Loo Loo" before admitting defeat and using her nappy. It was all a bit confusing because she calls Olivia "Lou Lou" and it was turning into farce with Olivia saying "I'm right here" for about 2 mins.

wigglesrock Fri 25-Jan-13 19:31:16

Anna has been in a single bed for ages, she's not a wanderer, she just lies there and shouts for us me. Because of Mr W shifts I find it easier to get in with Anna now rather than bring her in with us. He's up at 5.30am some mornings and occasionally Anna will go to 6 shock grin

americanexpat can you put a stairgate on the door of Ls room? - so he can't get out. I do believe there is a great chicken keeping section on Mumsnet. Well, it might be an elaborate cover for the Bumsex threads but supposeably grin its good - quite a few posters on here keep chickens/hens - things I like to eat wink

Anna does a wee in the toilet every night before her bath and today on the school run - she kept shouting "Loo Loo" before admitting defeat and using her nappy. It was all a bit confusing because she calls Olivia "Lou Lou" and it was turning into farce with Olivia saying "I'm right here" for about 2 mins.

wigglesrock Fri 25-Jan-13 19:36:46

So good I posted twice blush

ILovePonyo Fri 25-Jan-13 20:53:56

american I worry about the same things re: putting A into her own bed. Wow at pooing in the toilet, clever boy! grin at him flushing it 'as a treat' smile

reastie we have a gro egg for A, but when the temp goes below 17 degrees (I think) it glows blue rather than yellow which is really bright! It seems to wake A up. Love the image of A staggering about like Jack Nicholson, so funny. I can imagine my A doing the same thing with being hungry, how annoying for you.

wigs wow at A weeing on toilet too, I'm impressed!

Just had takeaway curry for tea, I'm stuffed <fat pig emoticon> For anyone whos not on facebook, A drew on her arms with a pen earlier then said "tattoos like mummy!" and looked all pleased with herself shock She also got in a huff when I pulled her sleeves down and pulled them back up to display her artwork hmm

Has anyone seen ledkrs thread re: pil and food, very funny smile

I nearly missed the Burns smileys!

Don't give L too much credit for using the toilet, it was a major production. grin He also kept trying to stand on the seat and squat. He loves flushing the toilet, I let him do it after I've used it. Strange boy. grin

wiggles - grin at the chickens being a cover for bumsex threads. There's a girl in L's nursery class who is a month younger and her mum said they potty trained her over Christmas. shock envy

reastie - L has started using "snack" and "hungry" as a delaying tactic recently so I'm never sure if he's hungry or just not wanting to sleep. He wouldn't go to bed last night so we had two separate rounds of crackers, followed by me rocking him to sleep. Then he whinged through the night and was up at 5am.

ledkr Sat 26-Jan-13 09:35:04

Hello my friends. Sorry been AWOL.
Re the ikea kitchen we were going to get it for dills but I'm not sure if it will hold her attention. It looks nice but boring can anyone enlighten me?
For now we just got her a train set some pepper pig stuff and clothes and boots she actually loves clothes and shoes. I have her some leopard print ballet flats so cute.
We are having a little family party Sunday (hence pil visit) I have bought a blow up castle for her and her cousins to bounce on. She loves happy birthday and candles cos of seeing Ella's party so should be grand.
I am in bed after a row with dh about getting spare bed ready and putting Hoover around ready for pil. He prefers to lie around in his robe hmm
I am off to the gym then hairdresser to avoid the royal arrival and lunch demands.
We are out later (they can babysit) then tomorrow I'm filling them up with a fry up whilst stating loudly "not cooking later " then party food will be eaten then I'm off out to the gym again leaving dh to get rid!
That thread is funny.
Ponyo don't forget half term. Ill have wed onwards free.

ledkr Sat 26-Jan-13 09:36:04

Btw massive lol at Alice's midnight feast! She's a canny lass

ILovePonyo Sun 27-Jan-13 09:34:15

Happy birthday dilly pop!! (Led I am lurking on pil thread too grin)

wigglesrock Sun 27-Jan-13 20:02:11

Happy Birthday D xxx Hope all went well today grin

Olivia has chickenpox, I think sad

ledkr Sun 27-Jan-13 20:15:38

Oh dear! D has a suspect spot on her top lip. We shall see.

This thread is not accepting new messages.