Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dry January - a month off the booze - anyone want to join me?

(631 Posts)
Doshusallie Tue 01-Jan-13 14:54:03

I am determined to do this - I drink most days, it's become a habit, just a glass or two, more at weekends, but really want to give myself an extended break.

The worst time of day for me is between 6-8 pm, before we eat. So am going to try and eat earlier and it would be great if I could come on here and get some support about that time of day!

does anybody want to have a dry January with me?

And yes I do have a hangover today grin

Snowkey Mon 21-Jan-13 11:25:05

That does sound nice Twinkle, must admit a glass of wine would have gone down very well after a day of sledging.

Snowkey - thanks for the diet tips. I have been reading the low carbing/5:2 threads with interest. I ran a half marathon yesterday so could not contemplate intermittent fasting/low carbing as I got ready for that, but I could have a go now. Unfortunately I have just tucked into a bowl of instant porridge for breakfast - maybe I'll read up on it some more today, and start tomorrow.

My danger point will be the end of the month when DH and I are under the same roof again. As it will be a new roof, I've said I'll break my January fast on 2 Feb with a glass of fizz when we are together again in the new house smile. I would like to only drink at the weekends, but when we are together there is always a bottle of wine on the go and it's so easy for one glass to turn into more.

spudmasher Mon 21-Jan-13 17:36:52

Thanks for the well done's everyone! I feel proper proud of myself!
Twinkle, add on an extra day to rub out the snow wine!
One more weekend to get through though I think I'll never drink as much as I did before. I feel so much better!
Hang on in there everyone!

Bearcat Mon 21-Jan-13 17:55:02

For some reason, yesterday and Saturday were the hardest evenings so far. Kept saying to DH that I could just do with a glass of wine, no one but ourselves will know.
Knew I was just kidding though, because we're determined to do it.
Haven't lost any weight though and not sure skin looks any better.

rubberglove Mon 21-Jan-13 18:30:38

Twinklestar I caved in too. On saturday we had friends for dinner. The strange thing is that I didn't even drink that much, but I felt awful the next day. That was literally my first drop of alcohol since the 1st and I think my tolerance is way down.

Well I will still do it until the end of January, which will mean only one night drinking in a whole month. I will still be proud of myself. I am only a weekend drinker, but it has broken the habit of ploughing through two bottles of wine every weekend.

I thought I couldn't tell the difference to my health, but this morning I felt bloated and tired. I realise I have been feeling better.

twinklestar2 Mon 21-Jan-13 23:35:19

I've decidd that after this I'm going to drink very rarely and only have 2 glasses of wine max when I do drink.

Now if only I could cut out my one ciggy a day....

twinklestar2 - that one ciggy must be habit rather than addiction. I remember reading once that you had to smoke at least 6 a day to have a physical addiction, and trying to cut down to below 6 in order to wean myself off them (it didn't work, I had to go cold turkey in the end).

twinklestar2 Tue 22-Jan-13 09:10:10

Yes it's def a habit I really should stop. But with ttc I'm giving up everything practically! But I suppose the ciggy is the most harmful!

Matildaduck Tue 22-Jan-13 12:58:27

Nine days to do...single figures now.

Not many of us left :-)

rubberglove Tue 22-Jan-13 16:26:02

Oh didn't realise only those who have strictly stuck to this are still included.

Sorry shall bugger off! I feel like I failed...

gazzalw Tue 22-Jan-13 16:44:03

Come back rubberglove....!

I think we've all found it difficult - DW and I are having a bit of a competition which is what is keeping us on the wagon!

But I've applied for the Blossom Hill low alcoholic wine testing as I think we'll more than deserve it by the time February 1st rolls on....

gazzalw Tue 22-Jan-13 16:53:22

Come back rubberglove....!

I think we've all found it difficult - DW and I are having a bit of a competition which is what is keeping us on the wagon!

But I've applied for the Blossom Hill low alcoholic wine testing as I think we'll more than deserve it by the time February 1st rolls on....

Matildaduck Tue 22-Jan-13 17:08:53

I think you need to lighten up rubber glove, no one said your not included....

Just that not many people are left..< the truth> which show how hard it is.

rubberglove Tue 22-Jan-13 17:21:40

Your wording was a little exclusive though wasn't it?

complexnumber Tue 22-Jan-13 17:29:02

I'm still here! Though I started a lot later than most of you.

I don't feel like I have broken the habit, I still have times when a pint would just hit the spot.

But, as was said above, I do feel much better in the mornings, tbh I didn't realise that I was feeling bad before, I just thought that what I was feeling was usual!

TWinklyLittleStar Tue 22-Jan-13 17:40:49

rubberglove I took that to mean not many left posting, as there's not many left posting.

I'm still here, mainly lurking. I won't be drinking in February or March probably. I've had a horrific few days, DMIL was very ill and we had to move in with DFIL to keep an eye on him (as he has alzheimers); there's loads of wine in their house and I would have loved a glass, so if I can resist under those circumstances and my friends birthday dinner Saturday coming, I'll be set.

Matildaduck Tue 22-Jan-13 18:42:16

No your just a bit sensitive!

Hope that she gets better twinkly.

twinklestar2 Tue 22-Jan-13 20:16:00

Rubber I haven't stuck to it strictly and I'm still posting. It really wasn't meant like that.

spudmasher Tue 22-Jan-13 20:21:28

And I fell off the wagon in week 1!!!!!
Come back rubberglove.

tuffinmop Tue 22-Jan-13 20:44:07

I'm still here and on the wagon but am bored silly with it to be honest!! I have had a lot of time to think about stuff and realise I use alcohol to escape. Have lots more thinking to do but this break has given me clarity. I also realise I am a hedenist at heart and love wine!
Well done to all of us whether you've cut down, had the odd slip or been completely dry. I shall raise a glass to you all on the 1st grin

Snowkey Tue 22-Jan-13 20:45:37

Still here - getting slightly over focused on next Friday now though...I need a glass of wine, the novelty has gone, the weight has gone and now I want my wine back!

Doshusallie Tue 22-Jan-13 21:00:35

You are all amazing and I take my hat off to you. I lasted for 10 days. Give yourselves a huge pat on the back.

glitch Tue 22-Jan-13 21:24:56

Dosh! What happened?
Still here until the bitter end too. After last weekend, the rest of it will be a doddle. I have even agreed to drive when I go out on Friday to stop me being tempted (and so close to Feb I would have been!).
I feel better for not drinking, my head is so much fresher in the morning, I have stopped using wine as a buffer into the evening and my skin definitely looks clearer.
Well done everyone who is keeping going (slip ups or not).

TWinklyLittleStar Tue 22-Jan-13 21:35:59

Jealous! My skin looks like shite after the stress of the last few days, and the in laws weird heaters drying it out!

Matildaduck Tue 22-Jan-13 21:45:40

Dosh...your back ...was it because your husband crumbled? Mine doesn't drink much ( maybe two beers all month) makes it much easier..that and we never go out :-)

I also have a count down on the calander!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now