Part 5- And the perfumes just keep on coming...

(999 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Sun 26-May-13 20:55:45

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/1711275-Part-4-All-you-ever-need-to-know-about-fragrance-continues

Shiny new thread for some shiny new perfumes (and classics and niche brands)

Whatever I don't like, I will pass on smile I'm happy that you like it, it really was no bother but it's nice to know you appreciate it smile

wiltingfast Wed 17-Jul-13 14:01:51

Can anyone recommend an alternative to cheapsmells.co.uk in Europe that might deliver to Ireland?

hollyisalovelyname Wed 17-Jul-13 14:10:41

Wiltingfast- a way to get around the cheap smells no delivery to Ireland is to use Parcelmotel- sure to be at a garage/ shop near you. They can get your delivery to Belfast and is then brought to the Republic. Check it out on t'internet. Cost about 3.50 euro but free delivery from uk companies to belfast i think.

wiltingfast Wed 17-Jul-13 18:22:16

Oooooooo! You are a star holly will rush off to check that out, what a good idea! Thank you, that deserves a biscuit grin

Fuckitthatlldo Wed 17-Jul-13 19:36:10

So. I have been sampling Montales Black Aoud further.

And oh my word, this stuff is stunning!

I haven't really enjoyed any of the other Montale oud or musk perfumes, but Black Aoud is something really special.

There is an initial blast of sharp, pharmaceutical smelling oud to be got through. Not entirely pleasant, I must say. But it only lasts a few minutes and then, oh my gosh, it gives way to the most beautiful dark rose you can imagine. Forget any smell memories you may have of sweet, fruity, synthetic, department store rose. This rose is deep, intense, and gothic. I imagine it to be dark purple in colour, ripe almost to the point of rotting.

This isn't a rose for little girls. Grown ups only need apply. And I'm usually not a rose/floral perfume lover in the slightest. But this perfume is something else. It's really really dark and sumptuous.

Dammit. That's another full bottle on my birthday list.

CointreauVersial Wed 17-Jul-13 23:33:14

Escentual has a 20% off sale, by the way.....

SOTD was Gucci Envy. The sharp, crisp green-ness is perfect for the hot weather.

wiltingfast Thu 18-Jul-13 08:21:03

wow fuckit, that sounds like one to try definitely.

I'm trying 28 la pausa today, not loving it so far. Can barely smell it to be honest. V hot here this morning though. So far prefer sycomore from yesterday. Need to give it more time though, only wearing 30m or so yet.

wiltingfast Thu 18-Jul-13 13:52:59

Aw, checked out the parcel motel idea but it costs €14 to deliver to an alternative address sad boo hoo.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 19-Jul-13 19:52:32

Ah noooo. Parcelmotel rep on John Murray or Pat Kenny show or Newstalk snd I was led to believe it would be 3.50 euro

ToysRLuv Sun 21-Jul-13 20:03:10

Hello. Looks like everyone's on holiday smile . I'm visiting back home and not thinking very much about perfume (plus the internet connection's not great at times). Tomorrow I will, however, try and find the Mugler leather fragrances in the local department stores. Anything with leather is worth trying. Particularly intrigued by the Alien variety.

SOTD: Bobbi Brown Beach, which, today, for some reason was really quite horrible and cloying. I like it normally confused ..

CointreauVersial Mon 22-Jul-13 00:14:16

I am stil in possession of the "mystery samples" and have tried them all (with the exception of No. 5 which is lagging behind). All very interesting, and I really liked two of them. Who's next? PM me an address.....

ToysRLuv Mon 22-Jul-13 10:03:01

It's Wilting next.. Wilting if you still want them, PM Cointreau! smile

Cointreau, hope you get no 5 soon. It's lush grin

SOTD: Mum's Impulse "Hint of Musk" body spray. grin Can you tell I just couldn't be arsed today.. And I miss my collection. The 5 things I brought with me just don't feel right today. Will attempt aforementioned department store trip soon.

wiltingfast Mon 22-Jul-13 12:58:46

I do I do! But only have access on phone today and can't pm, will pm you tomorrow cointreau smile

Fuzzybirds Mon 22-Jul-13 14:12:42

News on sample no.5- We'll be going to the in-laws tomorrow so will pick it up and post it to Cointreau ASAP. Really sorry for the delay!

wiltingfast Wed 24-Jul-13 08:39:01

O dear, my sample of vol de nuit arrived yesterday from surr to ch and have been trying it out yesterday and this morning and it disappears to nothing on me! I have it on now about an hour and all I can smell is powdery vanilla which is fading as I type. V disappointing. Was hoping I just hadn't been paying enough attention yesterday.

Maybe it's the weather? Warm and close here. Thunder forecast.

CVSFootPowder Wed 24-Jul-13 10:14:03

I'm sampling Creed Jardin d'Amalfi today. On paper I should love it. On my wrist I dont.
So hard to find a summer appropriate fragrance that I love.

hollyisalovelyname Thu 25-Jul-13 17:43:49

CVS have you tried Creed's Virgin Island Water. Smells of summer, sun tan lotion and pina colada. Lovely grin

wiltingfast Fri 26-Jul-13 08:43:39

Ahh, don't you love the day your credit card flips over?! Mr Tauer, here I come! 5 samples, yum yum yum grin

hollyisalovelyname Fri 26-Jul-13 08:54:14

Cointreau isn't Chris O' Dowd married to Dawn O' Porter from Roscommon?

Fuckitthatlldo Fri 26-Jul-13 17:35:53

Received a sample of Mona di Orio's Vanille from the Les Nombres d'Or line yesterday.

It's absolutely gorgeous. Don't be fooled by the name - this is not your average synthetically cloying sweetie body lotion type vanilla. It's not even particularly gourmand as such. This scent is rich, and opens with an orangey, petitgrainy, boozy accord, soon developing into something woody, spicy, and anchored by the darkest, smokiest, purest vanilla you've ever had the pleasure of sniffing. Both my sons (aged 14 and 10) smelt it on me and went, "Mmmm!!" Which is high praise indeed coming from them. It's sweet, but always interesting and never too much.

I also received a sample of Musc Maori by Parfumerie Generale. Tis horrid in my opinion. Plasticky, overly sweet, synthetic smelling gourmand. Something you'd expect a little girl to like.

Also tried Ambre Russe by Parfums d'Empire. Wow. Not for the faint hearted. It's a rich, deep, spicy, leathery amber, with such a lot of booze in the top, I swear you could get pissed off the initial fumes! Very unisex - would smell equally good on a man IMO. I do like it very much, and consider it most definitely full bottle worthy, but see it more as an odd occasion scent really. A bit much for every day wear perhaps. And it's not often you'll hear me say that!

ToysRLuv Fri 26-Jul-13 22:16:18

Vanille and Ambre Russe sound amazing, fuckit!

I'm still abroad, holidaying, and not wearing any perfume at the moment, because I've had a weird, angry acne flare-up on my neck and bits of my face. I feel and look like shit. I reckon I need to go and get that sorted, so I can apply some perfume again without feeling like I'm gilding a turd (pardon my french grin )...

CointreauVersial Sat 27-Jul-13 00:15:57

I love Ambre Russe, and that vanilla one sounds right up my street too.

I've now received Mystery Sample 5, which has caught up with its friends.....hmmm, not mad on this one, although it improved as the jasminey notes wore off. It evolved constantly throughout the day. I'd be very interested to know what it is.

Anyway, Wilting, they will be posted to you tomorrow. Sorry for the delay - I have been flat out this last week.

Holly, yes Chris O'D is from Roscommon; my DH was at school with his brother, in fact. Did it come up on this thread? <amnesia>

CVSFootPowder Sat 27-Jul-13 00:38:28

Thanks Holly, not tried that one. Will add it to my list

wiltingfast Sat 27-Jul-13 17:48:07

Ah fuckit I've heard that mona di orio's vanilla is a must try for vanilla lovers. Sounds gorgeous enough to tempt me off my current green and galbanum obsession!

Still reading through the old threads and there's a www.parfumeriedesfontaines.com recommended where if you order €10 of samples delivery is free. Haven't ordered yet but hopeful it includes ireland. Good enough selection, they definitely have mona di orio to try.

www.parfumeriedesfontaines.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=103_114

All in french but seems easy enough to navigate. "Enchantillon" seems to be "sample".

LinusDKD Sat 27-Jul-13 21:55:49

Thanks all of you for all the perfume suggestions you made.

I wasn't able to try them all but in the end I bought two new perfumes.

S. Lutens Nuit de Cellophane and yesterday I bought Tom Ford Rive d'Ambre. That last one is a bit out of my comfort zone but I loved it the moment I smelled it.

It was a toss-up between that one and TF Shanghai Lily but the Rive d'Ambre won.

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now