dear mn hq why are so many disablist threads being left up

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Samcro Tue 16-Aug-16 15:21:52

one today for instance and mn hq post
"We don't think that this thread is disablist, it is a valid discussion that we don't think should be shut down. "

yet it has obviously been reported.
cause hurt and upset
how is that making life easier(or better) for the sn community`?

or this message from mn hq
That CBeebies is just far too PC
Thread deleted
Message from MNHQ: Thanks so much for all the reports about this.

Although there has been some interesting debate and discussion, we do agree that the OP and some of what ensues is disablist, so we have decided to delete.

how can these be interesting debates??
\not long ago mn hq said that they were going to be quicker dealing with this stuff
what happened??

PolterGoose Tue 16-Aug-16 15:27:43

I would like to know too.

The goady fuckers are clever and more subtle. They know exactly what will happen and which buttons to press.

NeedAnotherGlass Tue 16-Aug-16 15:31:12

I do want a forum where disability matters can be discussed, but it has to start from having a basic understanding of what disablism is. That is sorely lacking.

DodgySpot Tue 16-Aug-16 15:38:18

It sadly seems quite acceptable to talk about disabilities in a way that it wouldn't be ok to talk about other protected groups.

It seems linked to the benefit bashing I think.

NeedAnotherGlass Tue 16-Aug-16 15:46:36

I think that's a very valid point Dodgy

Can you imagine if someone posted:
Maybe if we didn't label children as black, they wouldn't grow up so disadvantaged
or
We're all a little bit black anyway, you should see me after a holiday

monkeywithacowface Tue 16-Aug-16 15:50:09

Cause if you're living with disability or raising a child with one then it's your job to educate the ignorant. It's not like we have anything better to do is it? Don't worry though MNQH are always on call to link to their "this is my child campaign" hmm

fanjoforthemammaries Tue 16-Aug-16 15:59:00

Hear hear.

Can't post much just now but I so agree.

Samcro Tue 16-Aug-16 16:29:14

i am so shocked by what mn hq posted on that thread I have no words

PolterGoose Tue 16-Aug-16 16:40:58

Me neither now Sam.

Samcro Tue 16-Aug-16 16:49:15

wow omg wow the reply to fanjo is just awful wtf has happened has mn hq been taken over by aliens?

veryproudvolleyballmum Tue 16-Aug-16 16:51:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

veryproudvolleyballmum Tue 16-Aug-16 16:52:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DodgySpot Tue 16-Aug-16 17:15:13

Exactly.

I don't know about anyone else but to me feels like I am constantly having to defend myself (or my child more accurately) from a constant barrage of disbelief, distrust and anger.

DixieNormas Tue 16-Aug-16 17:29:52

No mnhq sent helping, I've chosen today to quit smoking as well hmm

DixieNormas Tue 16-Aug-16 17:31:04

Arnt helping

ALemonyPea Tue 16-Aug-16 17:33:17

I only read half of the Labeling one, gave up when someone said everyone has traits, can't believe people actually think that, that's so insulting. Could you imagine if that was said about people with Down's syndrome or cerebral palsy?

ALemonyPea Tue 16-Aug-16 17:33:45

Sorry, half of the first page, that should say

Stevefromstevenage Tue 16-Aug-16 17:35:13

Cause if you're living with disability or raising a child with one then it's your job to educate the ignorant. It's not like we have anything better to do is it?

Yep this

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 16-Aug-16 17:36:18

Hi everyone,

Thank so much for all your posts. We'd just like to reassure everyone that our stance on disablist posts hasn't changed at all, and we're always happy to talk through these issues and removed posts as appropriate.

fanjoforthemammaries Tue 16-Aug-16 17:42:33

Just not disablist threads

GrimmauldPlace Tue 16-Aug-16 17:46:43

KateSMumsnet can you clarify what MNHQ's stance is on autism as a disability? It's been stated that it's not comparable to other disabilities that are "diagnosed in infancy". Does this mean that MNHQ believe disablist posts in regard to asd aren't as bad as disablist posts about other, more obvious, disabilities?

I suspect your answer will be along the lines of all disablist posts are treated the same, maybe a link to this is my child and a reminder to report anything we feel breaks talk guidelines. But I'm honestly shocked by some of the MNHQ posts I've seen today and would appreciate a definitive answer.

monkeywithacowface Tue 16-Aug-16 17:48:37

I agree MNHQ's stance on disability haven't change. It's still piss poor.

Stevefromstevenage Tue 16-Aug-16 17:51:57

It is infuriating though Kate the undercurrent that permeates any thread on disability from a minority of posters is 'oh I am so sad that person has a disability, but their disability should not interfere in any way with my life and the disabled person/parents/carers should ensure that I am not affected by another person's disability' No one can counter that or report it because technically they are not doing anything wrong. It is just discussion after all and then there is all that feigned benign concern to hide the disablist nonsense. I mean a thread on why we should not 'label' our children; well it is torturous for people with a disability and their parents to explain time and again what this actually means to people in that situation. The whole premise of that thread is disablist.

Can MN not put up information for posters when this happens? I personally believe that would have a lot more impact than allowing a disablist argument to develop within the thread.

heknowsmysinsheseesmysoul Tue 16-Aug-16 18:00:14

I think MN have a really difficult job and it's quite a balancing act.

However; I think things have slipped a little recently or maybe it's just my perception. And it's not just threads about disability but also race at times, I don't understand how a lot of trans threads are accepted and there was a thread the other day on am extremely 'triggering' subject which was eventually deleted but only after numerous reports. It was some of the worst abuse of an OP I've ever seen on MN and also contained increasingly graphic and distressing comments from posters which went on and on for almost a day.

Samcro Tue 16-Aug-16 18:08:23

Maybe thats the problem kate from mn hq
It was supposed to have changed.
Mn hq are asking if mn should be part of a campaign
Yet we have a thread with some pretty horrid stuff being left up and a rather unpleasant post on there from mn hq.
Just deleting a few posts doesnt solve it, would you do the same with a racist thread?

This thread is not accepting new messages.