Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Brave Babes Battle Bus - Walking In A Winter Sober Land!

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Mouseface Sun 15-Dec-13 00:41:16

Hello Brave Babes, I'm Mouse smile

Welcome to the 'Bus Of Fun' (now you've come of age!) grin

This is a thread for those who want to give up drink completely, or are maybe thinking about doing controlled drinking, or cutting down slowly, with a view to quitting or not... it's up to you.

You know your limits, you know what is required, it's in your hands. And only you can make it happen.

Whatever your goal, you'll find support here. Always.

There will be talk of drinking and those who fall off the Bus (arse over tit) will post about it, so if that is going to jeopardise your chances of complete sobriety, then maybe the DRY thread would suit you better, as they are complete abstainers. smile

That said, this Bus is happy to have you no matter what, as long as you can cope with chat of drinking, nights out/in, failures, cyclical drinkers, etc......

Everyone has always been welcome here and shall remain to be.

No-one is ever turned away. EVER.

There are no hard and fast rules, other than the support here is unconditional, it may be in the form of tough love at times, but it's always meant with the very best of intentions.

There are two sayings that we like here -

1) - The Vulnerable Need Our Support, Not Our Judgement

2) - Alcohol Fosters Inertia

The rest kind of happens as the posts appear.

I hope that's okay with you all.

You'll find the last thread HERE, THAT WILL LEAD TO THREADS BEFORE IT, SOME HISTORY

And the original and real, truly heartfelt reason that we are here in the first place is HERE. A VERY SOBERING READ

The Bus may be 'mythical', but the support is real, honest and will help you to achieve what it is that you seek, as long as you are honest with us, but mostly, YOURSELF

See you soon. x

dementedma Wed 25-Dec-13 17:59:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 25-Dec-13 19:16:54

Hello and Merry Christmas to you all

We just wanted to let you know, DementedMa, that your last post was reported to us for containing disablist language, which is something that breaks our Guidelines, so we've deleted it now.

Trust you'll understand and wishing you all a lovely evening

MNHQ

venusandmars Wed 25-Dec-13 19:56:59

???

venusandmars Wed 25-Dec-13 20:03:07

Anyway, wishing everything good and safe for all Babes. HHeaven knows this can be a tough time of year for so many reasons.

Many if us will be feeling overloaded with family, emotions and too much rich food so what better way to lighten the load than to get a head start on dry January? When everyone else is struggling on day one, you could already be six days in..... imagine how great that would feel smile

dementedma Wed 25-Dec-13 20:24:45

Wtf?

Ok - change the suspect word for "stupid fucking cunt". That's ok on MN I believe?

Apologies to whoever was offended

whydidthishappen Wed 25-Dec-13 21:06:33

What did I get for Christmas? My period! Thanks universe. You really know how to spoil a gal.

At least it justifies my decision to stay out of the mental health facility. Apparently something like 90% of female admissions to psych facilities is done on Day 1 of their period. Makes sense.

So Christmas all alone. Looking at pictures of my son open my gifts on Facebook and pretending to my family at home that everything is okay. Trying to remind myself it is just one day. It's just one day. Hope that day was good for all you brave babes.

Maybe I should go to the cinema. Could be a wonderfully, creepy, depressing time for me.

venusandmars Wed 25-Dec-13 21:23:39

venusandmars Wed 25-Dec-13 21:29:22

Oops!

why in years to come, when all this nightmare is over, you'll hear people moaning about their 'dreadful' Christmas and you'll be able to nod wisely and know that you have survived the worst.

You'll have many more wonderful days to come, and all because of your had work and persistence in not drinking.

Fairenuff Wed 25-Dec-13 21:45:55

why that is a fascinating factoid. Hopefully now it's here it will relieve some of the pressure? You are right of course. It is just a day. The same number of hours to be got through and it will come to an end.

I hope tomorrow is a little brighter for you. I have a feeling that you must be at or near the peak and the tide will turn for you very soon.

Mixing my metaphors there, but I hope you get what I mean.

Ma I didn't read your post but I'm sure that whatever was said, there was no offence intended. Is everything ok with you?

spanna41 Wed 25-Dec-13 22:18:12

Merry Christmas all of you lovely Brave Babes. I hope today has been good to you. Nearly over now.

Why only a few more hours and today will be over smile hang in there Babe x

Ma sounds like you've had a good day smile WTF with your message? liked your alternative made me LOL grin

Soc put that bikini away smile - it's been raining sheets here. All my fences are down from wind the other night sad

Beaches hope you're all snuggled up in your igloo. I've been at my trough for most of the day, yum, yum grin

I'm hope you're ok babe x

Love to all other babes. Thank you for all of your support over the past few months. You are all diamonds grin

Imdoingthis Wed 25-Dec-13 22:51:41

why it is just a day honey your doing great keep going keep strong keep fighting xxxxxxx

Imdoingthis Wed 25-Dec-13 22:53:40

X post spanna Im ok thanks happy Christmas to you x

spanna41 Wed 25-Dec-13 23:01:19

Glad you're ok I'm. Happy Christmas to you too smile

Mamabear74 Wed 25-Dec-13 23:18:49

why just checking in, I am in so much admiration of you and your humour in this horrendous time. Glad to hear you feel good about your decision, any news about when you can see DS? It is just a day, today. And it's nearly over, and the day you do get to be with your son will be wonderful, presents aren't what it's all about anyway. It's love, and its so clear from your bravery, courage, strength and humour that its there for him in spades. And it's here for you in spades, from me & everyone on this bus willing you on past each hurdle. We believe in you.
Sorry not to namecheck anyone else, stay brave babes

guggenheim Thu 26-Dec-13 09:02:13

Morning babes

mama and spanna and I'm and faire and venus and ma and why and I'm going to stop now and just say 'one and all'

Did we all get through? My christmas was 'meh' which I will take over the other choices any day- it wasn't filled with drama,I didn't have a drunken row it was just pleasant.I do not care for christmas so apologies to babes who are sad that we are past the big day!

why- that really is god [Bast/flying spaghetti monster/Thor/whatever] moving in mysterious ways!! I had my own moment of serendipity: I was given that wonderful book of letters by DH,guess what kind of letter the book fell open to?
Oh yes: a letter written centuries ago in china,which was an apology for getting drunk and insulting the host at a dinner party.Again, I am going to take it as a sign that hitting the bottle is not a good choice for me right now
ever

Happy St.Steven's to you all,hope santa filled your stockings to the brim fgrin

dementedma Thu 26-Dec-13 09:40:32

Hi all
The message I posted was a text I received on Christmas morning that made me smile a lot. Unfortunately it did have a word in which obviously caused offence, not intended.
I repeat the message here - with suitable change - because I want to send it all to you, my friends. It went like this:
"not every flower can say love but a rose can
Not every plant survives thirst, but a cactus can
Not every idiot can read, but look at you having a go!
This is a sentimental time of year.Please send encouraging messages to fucked up friends,just as I have done. I don't care if you lick windows or occasionally shit yourself. You hang in there cupcake,you're fucking special,your my mate! Look at you smiling at your phone! Merry Christmas.

Ladame Thu 26-Dec-13 11:24:57

Hi all babes,

Sorry I’ve been awol, my new job suddenly got even bigger that originally intended. Someone left and I had to pick up some pieces, even being really really new. I haven’t spent much time at home through lots of travelling which I hate doing on my own. In fact didn’t get home until Christmas Eve from one trip and I’m just enjoying a few days off before it all starts up again. I’ve been following you all from my phone and laptop in hotel rooms and I haven’t been able to jump in as I felt I was away too long and got out of the loop.

Anyway, I’d just like to send you all my best wishes over Christmas and I’m going to contribute more this year as I’ve really missed you!! I haven’t been good, but I haven’t been really bad either, just a bit tired and ‘meh’ fsad Love from the bottom of my Ladame heart to all of you who have great obstacles and to all babes everywhere. x

dementedma Thu 26-Dec-13 11:26:03

C'est ladame!! Bonjour cherie - ca fait longtemps!
good to see you back you little French choux bun.

Imdoingthis Thu 26-Dec-13 12:20:10

Just a quick check in to say I'm thinking off you all
Xx

guggenheim Thu 26-Dec-13 12:38:19

ma that txt made me laugh!

ladame good,good,good to hear from you x

I'm how's it all going? Hanging in there?

whydidthishappen Thu 26-Dec-13 18:02:08

Hi all, thanks for all the good cheer (again)!

Hugely disappointed in an aspect of DHs behavior and am now feeling more alone than ever before.

But it's somehow okay. The pressure of Christmas is off, though it's an awful time. I have a birthday and a wedding anniversary coming up.

Anyway, enough of the misery. (PS guggs are you Irish?)

dementedma Thu 26-Dec-13 20:44:29

why hang in there. You inspire me. I am going for dry January and you will be the example I hold in my head.
You and Jesus and faire and koala and Venus and all the other babes who have kicked ass.

We walked in the woods today and I felled an actual tree by leaning on it! I really need to lose some weight!!!!!!

Hey ma I got a size 20 jumper and a home made apron from my NSDM which would go twice around carluccio.....
There is a long standing narrative with my mum about me being "huge" (I'm size 16 and definitely overweight but ...)

Had a fab long walk down to the sea today though. BeAutiful day here.

x

dementedma Thu 26-Dec-13 21:18:44

Hey Indie I'm going low carb and hopefully dry in January. I want to lose at least a stone and ideally more by the awards dinner in March. I really did uproot a tree today by hanging on to it to haul myself up a slope. Well, it was only a sapling...a mere twig.
Endless pisstaking by dcs..dd1 informed me that's what happens when you eat large quantities of Brie!

why I hate the fact that you feel all alone. I wish I could do something to help. pM me if it would help to speak or Skype with someone who is on your team?

This thread is not accepting new messages.