Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy after infertility II

(771 Posts)
stealthbanana Wed 06-Jul-16 09:27:13

We've got through a whole thread! Hope it's ok that I took the liberty of starting a new one.

Newbies, if you've had fertility treatment and found that <shock horror> it actually worked, this is the thread for you! We're a supportive group of women battling everything from scanxiety to unexplained bleeding, and we generally can't believe this is really happening for us!

First thread is here: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2584015-Pregnancy-after-infertility

stealthbanana Wed 06-Jul-16 09:27:57

Well I can't do links obv! But you get the idea.

mrslen well done on surviving glasto! It looked like an absolute mud bath. Glad the little one had fun.

blueroses congrats on (probably) a boy! We've got a few on this thread - you me and boris. Glad the scan went well.

kate thinking of you & bean flowers

birchy good luck for your scan. Scanxiety is the worst. I haven't felt anything yet (despite the fact that bub seems to be ridiculously active every time we see him) - but I have an anterior placenta so doctor said it will come later.

<waves> to everyone else, and congrats to the new joiners! Hoping the horrible stressful first trimester passes quickly & uneventfully for you.

AFM, just had an appointment with my fertility consultant and am feeling a lot better about all my issues. He confirmed that if DH also tests positive as a cf carrier we can thaw our 9 frosties and rebiopsy and test them for cystic fibrosis which is great. Had a long chat about the low Papp a and as a precaution I'm going to take the baby aspirin. And, best of all, I got a bonus scan so had another peek at the little one. He was super active and is actually measuring slightly ahead of my dates which is good from a growth perspective. And he has extremely long legs and a big head for his age grin - just like both of his parents!

HP07 Wed 06-Jul-16 10:51:17

Stealth I'm so glad to hear that you are approaching all this with such positivity. It must be really nerve wracking.

I'm 9 shifts away from starting maternity leave which I'm quite excited about. I have ordered our travel system and we're getting bits done with the nursery gradually. I can't believe that I'm in my third trimester and on the home stretch now!

Borisisback Wed 06-Jul-16 13:05:49

New thread! Placemarking.

Stealth good to hear that your consultant can see a way forward for you and that your lovely baby is wriggly and big smile

HP eek nearly there!

I'm doing ok now 20 weeks by ivf dates and 20+3 based on the 12 week scan dates. I think I can feel the baby kick now, I'm never that sure but I really don't know what else It could be, it's always quite sudden and relatively forceful. It's definitely too dramatic to be wind!

Grumpelstiltskin Wed 06-Jul-16 15:41:48

<peers nervously round door>

Hello all- a fresh shiny new thread feels like a good time to join. Very pleased to be here rather than the Feb antenatal thread which is terrifyingly full of happy cheery instadiffas . I have been -ahem- watching this thread for a while and am pleased to hear that all is in the main going well. It's fab to have a safe space where everyone gets it.

I know a few names from other threads already <waves at stealth and Vixx> but here's a quick bio: Have been TTC nearly three years and am in the helpful unexplained category, with a touch of MFI.
I'm currently 7+5 after a FET in June, following a MMC in March after my first fresh ICSI. Obviously extremely terrified that lightning is going to strike twice, and a relative lack of symptoms aren't helping!
Had a good scan last week where there was a strong heartbeat and blob was measuring dead on but got to that point last time too and then it all went wrong.

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know you all and hearing about your heathy pregnancies to prove it can go well. smile

hellotreeshellosky Wed 06-Jul-16 18:02:01

Hello shiny new thread and all of you. Glad you are feeling better Stealth. I'm 13+2 now and been to consultant clinic for a plan because of problems when I had DS. I am making the most of working in maternity. My supervising midwife picked up the heartbeat for me at 12 weeks which was lovely. I am still nervous but feeling a bit better and have told some more people.

Hope everyone is well smile

Vixxfacee Wed 06-Jul-16 19:37:14

Hi Stealth, glad to hear stealthini is doing well!
Grumpel nearly 8 weeks already wow.

I'm going to be 11 weeks tomorrow. 2 more weeks until my scan. So nervous!

Zenzie Wed 06-Jul-16 21:39:58

Thanks stealthbanana for letting me know about this place. I'm very very early on (<5 weeks) after IVF and 2.5 years ttc. Amazed to actually be pregnant!

Feeling ok so far, a bit tired and some breast changes already. Trying to measure my excitement but also taking solace in the fact that I managed to have an easy pregnancy with my first. (Then again I conceived her without difficulty so obviously things have changed).

Hearty congratulations to all of you who have made it here and best of luck. And THANK YOU for rescuing me from the other thread full of people who have oops, just conceived again! (Not bitter, me wink)

HP07 Thu 07-Jul-16 18:58:25

Hi Grumplestiltskin and Zenzie, nice to have you here and congratulations. I had a call from the midwife today to say that the 2nd antibody tests have come back and although they don't make a whole lot of sense to either her or myself it sounds like they are not going to affect the baby in any way as they have said no further samples required and no action to be taken. The only thing is I have a very rare blood type so now if I need a transfusion I have to have special blood ordered. That is a bit scary, I hope I don't ever have a bleed/accident. I am now on the transfusion list so that if I need blood anywhere in the country they will have that info to hand. Hope everyone is doing well. X

DebieS Thu 07-Jul-16 19:13:33

Hello Ladies
I have just been told about this thread from one of my posts. Please allow me to introduce myself.

I'm Debra, 31years old, originally from Belfast but now living in Essex. My husband and I have been trying for 10years to get pregnant. Test after test we were finally told Sept 2015 that we had a 8-10% chance of falling pregnant due to me having severe PCOS and being obese. Saturday just past my sister begged me to do a pregnancy test as I was complaining of sore boobs. I was reluctant as I didn't want to get that usual dreaded negative result but low and behold I got two pink lines halo I even went out the next day to buy another two tests just to make sure. According to the test I am 2-3 weeks pregnant and with my dates I'm 5-6 weeks pregnant so that's the first confusion.
I feel totally overwhelmed, confused, anxious and scared. I'm getting feelings of hunger all the time, restless legs each night and period like cramps that come and go??? Is this a sign of early pregnancy or am I just being paranoid?

Xx

HP07 Thu 07-Jul-16 19:27:22

Hi Debit, so glad you have joined us. The 2-3 weeks that you get on those clear blue digital tests is tge amount of time since conception. The traditional dating system that the Drs and midwives use is tge time since your last menstrual period if that helps. Obviously that means the first two weeks of your pregnancy you are not actually pregnant. Yes cramps are perfectly normal, as long as they aren't too severe, one sided or accompanied by blood you should be fine. Having said that as most of the other ladies on this thread know, I had spotting and bleeds for the first 22 weeks of my pregnancy! Get used to feeling hungry, that still hasn't gone away for me. First trimester is usually plagued with morning sickness if youre one of the unlucky ones to suffer though. Good luck and feel free to asks loads of questions. We will help you with what we know smile

Borisisback Thu 07-Jul-16 19:44:13

Welcome to all the new posters - lovely to have you here. X

DebieS Thu 07-Jul-16 23:07:21

So does that mean I'm pre pregnant then or?? I'm so confused it's unreal

Zenzie Fri 08-Jul-16 00:29:38

I think you're pregnant Debie! But given your history and the confusing nature of dating when it comes to early pregnancy, I'd get to your gp and see if they can refer you for a blood test. Your level of hcg will be a better confirmation of pregnancy. A scan at some stage will help narrow down the dates.

Try not to be anxious! But it's so normal. I think booking in with a gp asap I'd the best move, because you could spend a packet on tests and still end up a bit confused.

I'm very early on as well and feeling hungry a lot. I was getting some period like cramps the other day too.

Good luck!

Borisisback Fri 08-Jul-16 07:29:45

Debs you sound Preggo to me. Properly about 5 weeks gone as a doctor would count it.

I got lots of cramping in thoes few weeks. Some mild and some horrible.

Many congratulations. Make sure you are taking thoes folic acid pills.

Do speak to your doctor and ask for bloods.

It took me to week 7 and an early scan to be able to really beleive I am pregnant. Given all of our histories The anxiety we can suffer and in my case total disbelief is enormously paralysing.

I wish you the calmest, happiest 9 months possible.

Welcome to the thread

DebieS Fri 08-Jul-16 08:41:37

When does sickness usually start? I keep dry heaving (sorry TMI) but my sister in law said it doesn't start till around 9 weeks so I shouldn't be getting any nausea yet

Borisisback Fri 08-Jul-16 08:52:09

Debs - sickness varies massively. I wasn't sick at all but got nausea at 9 weeks, others have nausea and or sickness much earlier.

Zenzie Fri 08-Jul-16 09:00:39

And I never had any sickness in my previous pregnancy. Been feeling mildly nauseous the last few days though.

Vixxfacee Fri 08-Jul-16 11:30:13

I'm 11 weeks and do not believe I am pregnant. Self preservation!
Debs sickness can vary. Mine started at 6 weeks and is still awful. Hopefully you are one of the lucky ones!

HP07 Fri 08-Jul-16 14:11:13

Yes you are pregnant Debie it's just that the traditional way of dating a pregnancy and the way the clear blue tests do it are different. I felt nauseous from about 6-7 weeks on. Make sure you get yourself booked into the system so that you get called for an appointment by your midwife at the appropriate time and see the GP if you have any concerns as they may be able to offer HCG blood test too.

Blueroses99 Fri 08-Jul-16 14:59:17

Hello everyone! I've only just found the new thread so I'm a bit behind...

Well done for surviving Glastonbury MrsLen!

Debie I also had nausea quite early on, from about 6wks I think, but was only actually sick after standing on a train (just one stop!). Symptoms come and go and there is no right or wrong time to be getting, or not getting, them as the case may be.

Someone asked about movement, I'm sure I felt my first kicks last Saturday (19+5) when I was resting but nothing so distinctive since. Perhaps I need to stop rushing around and give baby a chance to make himself felt!

I'm turning 35 this weekend which feels v.significant in fertility terms. A little celebration is planned as I haven't felt like doing much to mark the day over the last couple of years.

HopefulKate1980 Sun 10-Jul-16 07:07:28

Hi ladies!! I found you. I thought the thread had gone quiet...

I'll catch up shortly. 5wk5 days. Still a LONG way to go!

Will post later xx

HopefulKate1980 Sun 10-Jul-16 08:20:22

I still haven't caught up properly but just wanted to say hello to the newcomers!

Welcome Debie! It sounds like we are roughly at the right stage! I am nearly 6 weeks and am petrified. 4 miscarriages means I am very suspicious but my way of staying calm is to remember I am pregnant today, and whatever happens tomorrow, we'll deal with. Anyway WELCOME!

I'm not feeling sick yet. I feel nauseous if I am hungry but so far, so good...It can hit at any stage, not necessarily at 9 weeks. It correlates with high HCG but every body is different... Congratulations!

Welcome Zenzie and Grumpel - I am very glad you were rescued from those other threads! My god. I joined a 'normal' thread during my last pregnancy and it sent me insane! I guess some women are just very lucky, but it didn't help me to hear their "oops" stories!

Have you had a scan yet? Mine is week after next, when I will be 7 weeks. They offered me one this week for reassurance but I couldn't get the time off work.

Hope everyone has a lovely day. I am off to work (on a Sunday, it's unjust!!) but will catch up properly later.

Lots of love and baby magic.

xxx

MrsChrisPratt Mon 11-Jul-16 18:39:11

Hi Everyone,

Tentatively sticking my head round the door - got a BFP yesterday (and again this morning!) at 10dp3dt of two embryos. Very nervous with a sprinkling of muted excitement that I keep slapping down to protect myself.

This was our fourth ivf for severe male factor and we've been a bit of a train wreck so far - I was hospitalised at Xmas with ovarian torsion, the last round on Buserelin made me incredibly depressed and I have just developed large onset ohss and been told I need a week off work or I'll be admitted to hospital....I only started my new job 6 days ago after being made redundant. Fuck fuck fuckety fuck!

But hey, I'm pregnant, please let it stay that way.

MrsChrisPratt Mon 11-Jul-16 18:40:59

Late onset that should say. Though ' large ' is appropriate! I look 4 months pregnant and my ovaries feel like watermelons!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now