Ivf anyone starting stimms next week?

(524 Posts)
naty1 Wed 29-Jan-14 21:35:49

Im starting stimns next week for icsi(dependent on blood test)?
Anyone at the same time want to join.

naty1 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:26:32

Im 5'4 and no twins. My 5'2 sister also had a singleton.
(5'5 is above average though smile )
Hopefully you wont need frosties anyway.

Shellster52 Tue 11-Mar-14 04:27:11

That's interesting Nat about taller people having a higher chance of twins. I am 5'6 and for some crazy reason, I want two put back. I think after 4 failed IVF's, I just want it to work and would rather twins than nothing.

So that's a day 5 transfer then Suzy? So it's all just a waiting game now and up to your uterus to be a nice cozy place for your one perfect embie! Seems a weird question, but do you normally have a heavy period? Mine is usually light and I wonder if this affected my last outcome because I had a perfect day 2 embryo but no BFP.

naty1 Tue 11-Mar-14 09:10:04

Shell have you considered pushing it to day 5?
How were your periods after ivf?
Im surprised as ive had no pain at all.
I tried the brazil nuts this time for implantation but that didnt help

suzylee73 Tue 11-Mar-14 15:46:30

The embryologist just rang to say my 4 eggs haven't grown since yesterday hmm no plan B for me then.
Not to worry tho I'm now 1dp5dt and down with the lingo smile feeling quite crampy today which could be good or bad?
I tested already to make sure the trigger shot isn't going to give me false positive and it was negative. So I assume any positive I might get in the future would be for real?
Shellster, my periods are heavy and last a good 5 or 6 days

naty1 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:43:46

Shell have you been using estradiol (or whatever its called)?

Shellster52 Tue 11-Mar-14 23:04:23

Nat, I am taking 2mg estrogen in the morning and 2mg in the evening. The brand I am taking is called Progynova. How are you coping? Had any more discussions with your husband?

So Sozy, the countdown begins. Even that 1 day post 5 day transfer feels like a long time doesn't it! At least in the lab, you could get daily updates. Now you have no idea. I am sorry to hear that the other 4 didn't make it. Was the little survivor embryo starting to hatch out of it's shell yet before it was transferred?

I have a baseline scan booked for Monday on the assumption my period will arrive over the weeekend. I am really nervous about it. Usually I only have 5-6 antral follicles meaning I can only get max of 5-6 eggs. Last IVF I took Aspirin for two cycles before and started with a whopping 15-16 antrals. This time, I have only taken the Aspirin for two weeks before so I have no idea what to expect. If my follicle count is low on Monday, I am going to feel like my chances of success are blown before IVF even starts and am going to be feeling very depressed. So I just can't wait for Monday to be over with.

Shellster52 Tue 11-Mar-14 23:05:49

Oops, I meant suzy, not Sozy!

naty1 Wed 12-Mar-14 09:38:49

Hes still not sure. Convincing himself hes happy with one.
Its make more difficult as my sister did treatment at the same time and theirs worked so the baby's due date will be like 2 days different.
I think i just consider trying again as i had some things wrong this time that hopefully wouldnt happen again -immature eggs, upset stomach. And argument with oh before EC about just wanting his mum to come down without his dad to keep stress to a minimum (of course him making that into an argument so backfired, ideally you dont want guests at all before an operation).
Then the day the spotting started i was staying with my parents and toddler was playing with what i thought was plastic flowers but then heard some seeds on tv stand and realised they could be dried real ones - i didnt know what they were and was really worried she may have eaten them. I thought for half an hour it was poisonous but turned out it wasnt it was actually edible. While i was running around in a stress the spotting started.
Its hard to remain stress free through this process
Although by the time the flower incident happened at 12dpo i had already tested and it was negative so it probably had no affect. I know most likely the embryos just didnt implant.

Shellster52 Thu 13-Mar-14 00:17:42

It's so hard to know what went wrong once they're out of the lab and back inside and all we can do is speculate. With my last IVF, I had very definite period type cramping when I woke up in the middle of one night, right when the baby should be implanting. Then (sorry this may be TMI) I had read one study showing sex with after transfer reduced miscarriage rate. I thought it made sense since most women who don't go through IVF would continue having sex and orgasm after conception so I decided to do that and then felt all funny and tingly in my uterus afterwards which never happens, so I knew for sure there was something going on in my uterus. I now wonder if the orgasm was a bad thing and perhaps that is what ruined things.

I have read so many comlicated studies on different protocols showing things like when the estrogen levels rise too quickly during stimulation,(I now have a complicated formula to do the maths!) there is a greatly reduced chance of pregnancy. When the progesterone rises before day 6 of stimulation, the embryos implant much less often at day 3 transfer but not affected by day 5 transfer.. so it seems there are very delicate and complicated hormones that need to be right for IVF to work. As you say, you had trouble with the medications. Maybe that could be the cause? It's frustrating to just not have the answer.

IVF doesn't always work first time but I think they say that usually if you are going to be successful, it is within the first three goes. You got success first time which seems to show you are a good IVF candidate and just got unlucky this time. I think you'd have to be pretty lucky for IVF to work twice in a row and there is no reason why it might not work next time. But I am now up to IVF cycle 4 (and one cancelled) and still no BFP so you just don't know and have to decide if you want to spend the money.6

Do you have any follow up appointments with the clinic or is it up to you to book something now if your husband comes around?

naty1 Thu 13-Mar-14 09:13:50

Not sure as i left a message about the negative result will have to call them back to find out.
I was trying to remember if we had sex after transfer the first time. I cant remember but i dont think so, i think i would remember due to all the mess off the pessaries.
Also i sort of think i shouldnt have been lifting the toddler but as you said people would carry on and must get pg anyway

Shellster52 Fri 14-Mar-14 02:01:43

I have decided to not have sex after transfer this time, seeing as having sex last time didn't work. Since struggling to conceive, sex has felt like a chore. But now knowing I can't after ET, will probably want to for the first time in two years! I think the reasons behind it not working probably isn't anything you did, such as lifting your toddler so I wouldn't beat yourself up. Although having failed IVF's myself, I do the same. What if the trainee didn't do the transfer... what if we didn't have sex...

How are you coping? I don't know how much longer I should waste my money on IVF and feel like I need some reassurance that I will be okay if I this IVF fails and I have to stop. I just can't imagine being able to accept.

suzylee73 Fri 14-Mar-14 10:58:38

Would you have counselling available to you in Australia? I think accepting childlessness is one of the hardest things we can do in life and any help we can get we should take.
I'm 4 days past transfer and have turned into a crazy lady. My previous calmness has gone and I have already done 2 tests! Both negative of course. Will try not to do one today although I cant promise :D
Hope your ok Naty

Shellster52 Fri 14-Mar-14 12:22:34

You made me laugh Suzylee. Now that I am not at the stage of testing, of course I think it's pointless testing now as it is too early. But I have been there, done that. And just watch me in three weeks time as I do the same thing!

I did actually attend some compelling at my old IVF clinic. I was kinda expecting her to have the answer for me on how to cope so that I could walk out cured emotionally. Turns out there is no answer. Now I find the best thing chatting to others going through this who are the only ones who can truly understand.

My period arrived today, making my last cycle 25 days. After reading that shorter cycles reduced IVF success by nearly half, I have done everything to try and lengthen them. High protein, exercise, yoga, supplements, acupuncture. Must just be my age and low AMH which nothing can change and I have been trying to deny for so long.

So I start sniffing and injections tomorrow. Then Monday is my first scan. I thought I would be nervous or excited but instead I feel depressed - depressed in advance in preparation for another failed cycle. It's all I know. I have shed a few tears in advance. Sorry for the long post. Just need to rant.

naty1 Fri 14-Mar-14 18:38:55

I started testing at 10dpo. But do wish i had waited a bit as i didnt believe the negative anyway.
Shell have you tried the immune stuff like lipid things etc?
Im thinking of asking for prednisone next time but will try to get my thyroid antibodies tested at gp.
My post fail meeting isnt till 25 april which is crap as i did want to do another treatment before early june. So i will contact nurses and see if we can also have our planning meeting.
If all had gone well we could have just gone ahead but i have some qns to ask.
I dont want to do it after going on holiday ... Bad food and swimming (indoors) cant afford to make things worse and dont want to be worrying about it.
Suzy what day are you on now? When is OTD. Did you say if they do bloods.
With my pcos i guess i might be better off to try again before my ovaries have recovered they may not be able to overreact
Ive been feeling odd (hot) since my cycle i think my thyroid has gone hyper , like it did after pregnancy hopefully this will wear off

Shellster52 Fri 14-Mar-14 20:17:53

Seems a good idea to get your questions answered as your body seems a bit more complicated with your PCOS and thyroid issues and the extra meds you were taking. So, you are deciding upon another IVF then. Hard to let go isn't it. 25th April is a long time away when you just want to hurry up and move forward from this failure. I know in my case after my Oct 13 cycle, I was desperate to be pregnant and went ahead with another try after only one cycle break. Turned out not to be a good idea in my case as my left ovary was still tender and only one of the eight antrals on my left ovary responded. So now I've had a few cycles break but I have still continued to have that left ovarian pain ever since but don't want to wait while I keep aging so am going ahead with another cycle now. But very anxious about my first scan as I am thinking it might give the same poor response as the pain is still there.

You are the first PCOS IVF lady that I have followed and it was so surprising that despite all those follies, you didn't get a lot of eggs. Seems they need to do a protocol to get them growing at more the same rate. Or is that one of the consequences of PCOS and unavoidable?

I hope you enjoy your well deserved holiday and can take your mind off things while away.

naty1 Fri 14-Mar-14 23:12:15

Yes it is a question i have as i took 75/150 alternating dose whether a consistent 112 would even out growth a bit.
Also i take menopur and ive seen as it has LH that may not be best as pcos make some anyway. But who wNts to change what you know can work?
Gonal f could be even worse. I think i was only given it initially as thats wgat nhs funds.

suzylee73 Fri 14-Mar-14 23:59:55

Im happy to hear your trying again Naty smile
And roll on Monday for you Shellster smile
I'm only on day 4 hmm and my otd is the 27th! I'm going to test every day as from Monday I have decided.
Just got in from watching Russell Kane doing stand up, he was so funny I'm really worried that a laughed too much I emptied my womb!!!

Shellster52 Sat 15-Mar-14 09:53:32

Thanks Suzy. Have you had any cramping or other signs other than the cramping you had the day of (or was it the day after?) the transfer? What does otd stand for?

suzylee73 Sat 15-Mar-14 11:03:33

Otd is official transfer date, I had to look it up grin
I'm now 5 days past transfer. The cramping has stopped was hoping for some implantation spotting but nothing. I felt nauseous yesterday afternoon and felt a little like hungover this morning. Could be the progesterone messing with me or even my own mind messing with me hahaha
Oh and I cant stop drinking tea, I know it's too early for cravings so I suspect the waiting has made me semi insane shock

Shellster52 Sat 15-Mar-14 20:34:41

Is your period usually regular - when would you expect it (although obviously hopefully not for another 9 months!). Yes, the waiting drives you insane and you can't help but symptom spot. Can only hope the cramping was a good sign. Was it like period cramping? Was the embryo starting to hatch out of it's shell before it was transferred? Could the cramping the next day actually be implantation or just a side effect of the transfer? Listen to me - I am going insane waiting for your result as if it was me going through it!

I am already going insane just waiting for my scan tomorrow and it's not as long as your wait. I think it's because I am a poor responder so the outcome of tomorrows scan means so much to the outcome of this IVF cycle.

suzylee73 Sun 16-Mar-14 10:27:16

I didn't ask about it hatching, wish I had though. My AF is due on the 19th but with all the drugs I'm not sure if that still counts.
I was going to test this morning but I don't feel pregnant today. It would spoil hubby's day off to see a negative so will wait till he is at work tomorrow smile

suzylee73 Sun 16-Mar-14 10:29:49

I think Australia is in the future so your scan might be my tonight if that makes sense?
I will keep checking for an update and my fingers and toes are crossed for good news grin

suzylee73 Sun 16-Mar-14 21:04:01

I have started spottinghmm it's such a small amount but I have period pains too. The kind of pain I get that tells me AF is a matter of hours away. I know I only had the ET on Monday but I tested negative today, maybe it's too soon but that and the period pain together leave me feeling doubtful now.
I am on self imposed bed rest in the hope that little embie might change it's mind and hang on in there smile

Shellster52 Sun 16-Mar-14 22:53:26

You say your period isn't due until the 19th so I just hope for you that this isn't it. Will have this mumsnet site open while I am at work today so feel free to type for an instant reply if you want to chat. In the meantime, here is my saga to help distract you from your own:

My scan this morning revealed a measly 5 follicles. If I remember correctly suzy, you started with about 17, and as you know, the numbers keep going down. So by starting with only 5, I feel like all hope is lost. Having done IVF before, I have gotten used to looking at my ovaries on the ultrasound screen and I thought I saw a lot more dark circular shadows than just 5. So I am desparately hoping that she was just being rushed and quick as she seemed to be. But another part of me is accepting the truth as I have already had a good sob about this on my way to work.

I have enough meds for tonight/Mon and tomorrow/Tue. Waiting for a call from my nurse. Am going to ask for a scan on Wed so I can get confirmation of todays results before I waste more money buying more meds.

Telling myself I must stay positive in the meantime in case I go ahead so I don't upset my hormones and destroy the eggs I have. But I think being stress free is impossible now!

PS suzy, I am going to PM you, so check your inbox by clicking on 'My Mumsnet' in the top right hand corner of the screen. That way, you can have a place to chat more if you need to as I know all about a failed IVF cycle (although, lets hope that's not the case for you).

naty1 Mon 17-Mar-14 08:54:13

Suzy make sure you drink plenty of water.
I read (too late) that spotting can be from dehydration (obviously i had a upset stomach too so that probably didnt help) i was not drinking the recommended amount.
Apparently it can cause uterine contractions.
Also does your info tell you to call your clinic -who knows they may say to up your progesterone
(I didnt realise mine said to call and didnt until the full bleeding had started and then they just said to do test on the day)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now