Tell me something I never knew my iPhone could do

(164 Posts)
ConfusedDotty Fri 09-May-14 17:24:58

Just that really. I want to be all impressed with it again.

CoilRegret Fri 09-May-14 17:28:35

Store very contact, email, photo you've ever owned until you lose the bugger bitter

17leftfeet Fri 09-May-14 17:43:52

When its in calculator mode, if you turn it on its side it turns into a scientific calculator?

If you think you've left something running in the background that's draining your battery, double click on your "Home" button.

A row of all live, or recently live, apps will appear on the bottom of the screen - you can hold your finger on one of them and they will all start to "wobble" and you can turn them all off.

If you have unlimited data you can use it as your broadband (tethering?). I don't have a landline or broadband at home, the phone does it all.

Cindy34 Fri 09-May-14 21:01:48

You can improve the camera by adding lenses, such as http://www.olloclip.com

MrsBungle Fri 09-May-14 21:03:24

Ooooh at scientific calculator - fancy although I'll never use it

Cindy34 Fri 09-May-14 21:04:07

It can be your in-car sat nav and provide real time traffic info showing where jams are. www.waze.com

What do you use it for at the monent? Expensive alarm clock?

BlewShews Fri 09-May-14 21:06:17

If you give it to your toddler whilst you have your bikini line waxed she can FaceTime your male cousin in America and show him what is going on. shock

noblegiraffe Fri 09-May-14 21:14:37

If you are miles down a MN thread and you want to get to the top, just touch the screen above the address bar and it will whizz back up,

Shizzy Fri 09-May-14 21:24:55

BlewShews please tells you're lying? This is my worst fear when I'm reading a book in the bath on my Kindle app and someone tries to FaceTime me.

Hassled Fri 09-May-14 21:28:21

There's a spirit level on it somewhere. Or at least if there isn't, there can be. Spirit levels are surprisingly handy.

Raskova Fri 09-May-14 21:36:48

On your messages, if you slide to the right it will tell you the times sent and received.

If you shake it while typing it can undo what you've written. If you shake again once undone, it will redo.

Volume buttons are camera clickers too.

If you ask Siri 'why are fire trucks red?' You'll get an hilarious answer

crispyporkbelly Fri 09-May-14 21:39:37

This is for iPad - you can split your keyboard in half, much easier to type on!

onedev Fri 09-May-14 21:45:54

I've just done the red fire truck - hilarious! grin

My little tip is to hold the shift key to get caps lock on.

GwenStacy Fri 09-May-14 21:48:38

When typing a web address in the address bar, hold down the ".com" button and loads of alternatives pop up. You can also create custom shortcuts, so that rather than typing out my email addres in full, I just type "nmg" and it autocompletes it for me :-D I have loads of these set up got my address, phone number, email, DOB etc :-D

Betrayedbutsurvived Fri 09-May-14 21:51:58

It can remind to do things based on where you are. So for example when you leave work it can reind you to post a letter, or to buy milk when you pass the supermarket.

StrawberryMoose Fri 09-May-14 22:01:20

Switch on Guided Access which is in Settings/General/Accessibility. Then when you triple click the home button in any app you can circle any area (including the whole screen) that you don't want to be activated on touch. This can include the home button. It's great for giving the iPad to kiddies safe in the knowledge that they can touch the screen as much as they like and it will stay in the app. It's great for keeping toddlers amused whilst watching peppa pig videos as they can't accidentally stop it when smearing their grubby little mitts over the screen!!

StrawberryMoose Fri 09-May-14 22:02:05

Obvs works on iPhone too...

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Fri 09-May-14 22:02:33

If you've had the software update and you double click the home button your apps come up in the screen and you swipe them away, not that they go wobbly.

On the home screen, if you press and hold an icon and pull it down it reveals the search function. You can type anything it and it will find it.

You can use the selfie camera like a mirror. grin

picnicbasketcase Fri 09-May-14 22:04:41

The app clock picture is actually a clock and not just a picture of one (I know that's stupid but I didn't notice for ages)

PseudoBadger Fri 09-May-14 22:06:30

It can do links on Mumsnet I'm fed up with reading "can't link on phone"

TheAbominableWoman Fri 09-May-14 22:08:32

The spirit level is in the compass app. Swipe left to access it.

slithytove Fri 09-May-14 22:09:17

Ask Siri to sing you a song, it's so clever smile

Hassled Fri 09-May-14 22:10:55

I never knew that about the clock icon. I am SO THICK.

Raskova Fri 09-May-14 22:11:28

Strawberry, that's incredible! Reminds e that you can set up restrictions so that DC can't buy apps, delete apps, in-app purchases etc.

Picnic that's incredible. And utterly useless as the clock is also right above it! I never would have noticed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now