*Judgementalness alert* Worst DC/sibling names you've ever heard.

(423 Posts)

I know someone whose daughter and son are called Paris and Troy. Really! Aside from being utter rubbish, I mean, if we are going with mythology Paris is a boy not a girl, and Troy is a place not a person! Its Paris and Hector surely? Or Troy and Mesopotamia?

So can you top that? Go on, I could do with a laugh.

FellatioNelson Fri 23-Nov-12 04:32:53

Yes, it was the Waltons, sorry. Michael Learned was her name.

CheerfulYank Fri 23-Nov-12 04:56:15

I'd love to use Lumi as a middle name for a daughter someday...it's Finnish for snow and I think it'd be gorgeous on a winter baby. Where I grew up the Finnish culture is still quite evident, even several generations down the line. smile

I am having a spring baby and have tried like mad to find a Finnish word that could pass for a name and means anything spring related: rainbow, robin, etc, etc, but to no avail. sad

CheerfulYank Fri 23-Nov-12 05:08:35

Though Lumme is close and means waterlily.... <considers>

mathanxiety Fri 23-Nov-12 05:29:41

I have brother and sister cousins named Michael and Michelle.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 23-Nov-12 07:57:15

Cheerful I wouldn't have held it against you if you had been called Brynn...I'd have just cried a little bit inside! grin

There's a college called Bryn Mawr that's women only isn't there?

goralka Fri 23-Nov-12 08:09:55

it means 'Big Hill' in Welsh

TheWholeEnchilada Fri 23-Nov-12 09:45:57

When I was 5-7 we lived near a set of quints - I can't remember the fifth name but four of them were Christa, Charla, Chanda and Charles.

And my best friend's mum grew up with 6 sisters who were ALL named Mary! Yes, it was a catholic family. BF's mum was the eldest so she was the only one that was called Mary. The others were called Mary + their middle name...ie. Mary Margret, Mary Elizabeth, Mary Louise, etc. (There were also 8 boys in the family but there wasn't a pattern to their names.)

TheWholeEnchilada Fri 23-Nov-12 09:53:25

And this is outing me, but my Southern American step-mum and her sisters are Bobbie Sue, Betty Jane, Bonnie Marie and Billy Marion! They are really a lovely bunch of smart, interesting women except for the one who has recently gone all crazy religious and sort of scares me with her righteousness!

Bettyintheburbs Fri 23-Nov-12 17:10:11

O'Neil and She-Neil, brother and sister

Bettyintheburbs Fri 23-Nov-12 17:11:17

Also a few years ago in Fiji, there was a little girl called Princess Margaret .
I thought she was royal at first blush

Sorry, but has no one else noticed that 'Elodie Disney Sparkle' reads like, well, like she's actually a bit dull? Or is that my Scottish slang roots coming out in me? Sorry, as you were.

BikeRunSki Fri 23-Nov-12 21:59:06

enchilada I know a family where all the men are called Charles. There is then a complicated system of who has which nn, who uses their middle name. I manage one of them, he lives in the same town as his not-unlarge family, and has twice been called to.his dad/brother's dental check up!

Frikadellen Fri 23-Nov-12 22:08:06

I used to know a couple in Germany who had 2 daughters called Porche and Mercedes.

My cousin has Nicolas, Sarah and Filuka I actually like Filuka now I have heard it several time but I was a bit open mouthed (having expected something more like Mary or Catherine) when I heard it first.

Viviennemary Fri 23-Nov-12 22:10:10

Wayne, Kyle and Toby are all dire. And Maddison for a girl is dreadful. I don't like shortened names either. And cute double names. Maysie Boo and so on.

mathanxiety Fri 23-Nov-12 22:18:02

WholeEnchilada, I knew sisters named along those lines too: Mary Pat, Mary Beth, Mary Jo and Mary Kay.

I have a family of cousins with eight boys and two girls and all the boys have the middle name Mary. The two girls also have some form of Mary incorporated into their names.

Dragonwoman Fri 23-Nov-12 22:43:23

My mother traced her family tree & her great-grandparents had 12 children - 10 boys & 2 girls. You would think that they would have plenty of girls names to use after naming all those boys. The girls were Jane Mary and.......Mary Jane! I know most people used unimaginitive names back then, but still!

CheerfulYank Sat 24-Nov-12 03:23:33

Alis it's just as well I wasn't; I married a man whose surname is Brick. Brynn Brick just wouldn't have cut it really. smile

PurplePidjin Sat 24-Nov-12 04:00:11

Aston and Astyne <guess the surname>

Karma and Chakra

Both twin sets. Yes, i judged didn't let it affect how i spoke to them though

huangselin Sat 24-Nov-12 07:55:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

huangselin Sat 24-Nov-12 07:56:37

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Notafoodbabyanymore Sat 24-Nov-12 09:03:03

I went to school with a family whose surname was Whitehead. The children were called Jermaine, Dinane, Marlin, Inane and Dwayne. (Not sure of the spelling on these...) Marlin broke the pattern because her dad caught a huge marlin the day she was born.

Heard of twins called Pacman and Tetris.

Also heard of a family whose children were all named after alcoholic drinks (Brandy, Sherry etc)

My dad knows a couple with the surname Peacock. Son called Drew.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sat 24-Nov-12 09:33:42

On holiday this summer I heard a Mum call out Cornelious, where's Barnaby? smile

I also have distant family where Janet and John had Jemma and Jane. Janet and John divorced. She remarried - to Steve. Who had kids called Jordan, Jodie and Jade! hmm

winkle2 Sat 24-Nov-12 09:48:33

Frankella, Floyd and Flavia!!

BoyMeetsWorld Sat 24-Nov-12 14:15:27

Used to know 3 siblings called Sophie Starlight Smith, Chloe Sunset and Aidan Storm

My daughter goes to school with a d'vine, siblings all follow a pattern of d- names there's d'loris, d'lilah and d'angelo thennnnnnn there's the youngest.....d'david!!! Where did that d come from!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now