To have left them all to go and get something to eat?

(273 Posts)
DfanjoUnchained Tue 30-Jul-13 21:01:43

In short:

Dp's mother and sister come over at 3pm, still sitting around at 7.30pm but don't want to eat.

I'm starving, having a very painful and heavy period (sorry) and ds (7months) needs to eat too. I didnt have lunch either as ds teething and v difficult at the moment.

Dp was meant to cook or get food; he did neither. It got to half 7 and I couldn't wait any longer and said I needed to eat something as was feeling unwell. I asked what they all wanted to do and they said they would eat at home, fine.

I said goodbye to mil and sil and said sorry, ive really got to go, feeling unwell etc hope you dont mind, they said no go its fine. I left with ds and ate out.
When I get back they're gone and P is really angry, says my attitude was terrible and I shouldn't have 'stormed out'.

Apparent SIL feels unwelcome now confused and I need to apologise if I want any kind of friendship with her. Was I meant to sit there and starve before another night of no sleep due to teething baby and horrible period pains??

Tbh I'm so annoyed at him for not supporting me, he knew I was feeling like shit and didnt support me.

Flobbadobs Tue 30-Jul-13 21:53:29

Amd now I'm focussing on it!! Sorry Dfanjo, still YANBU. Hope you get a good sleep x

maja00 Tue 30-Jul-13 21:53:54

When we moved house we ate everything (and got rid of the freezer) and just bought food on a day to day basis to avoid moving boxes full of food unnecessarily.

Crumbledwalnuts Tue 30-Jul-13 21:54:20

"Sorry, I find this all very strange. DH and I have a whole emergency operation in place in case of guests when there's no food in the house. Do you have many guests?"

Jeez - how shit do you feel now, dfanjo?

Just read the supportive comments. Lots of people do know what it can be like.

DfanjoUnchained Tue 30-Jul-13 21:55:40

He's, he is usually quite unsupportive, he's never done a night feed despite me asking for example. Never cooks. Even when I got home after giving birth I had to cook. Hence why I'm thinking my needs are never met in this relationship so I really need space to think.

maja00 Tue 30-Jul-13 21:56:12

I find the idea of an emergency plan in case of guests when you have no food quite bizarre grin Is it ready meals in a glass case with a little axe next to it?

WhoNickedMyName Tue 30-Jul-13 21:56:26

Arf at emergency operation feeding plans for guests. Must add that to my list of things to aspire to having in place.

formicadinosaur Tue 30-Jul-13 21:56:26

Was going to say that food particularly important if breast feeding.

Don't apologise. Text SIL and MIL same text. 'Lovely to see you today. Thankfully tea at pizza hut hit the spot. I was starving what with no lunch, breast feeding constantly and DH changing his mind and not cooking tea'

"DH and I have a whole emergency operation in place in case of guests when there's no food in the house."

Please please tell me it involves smoke, mirrors and abseiling out of the house?

Crumbledwalnuts Tue 30-Jul-13 21:56:41

Good luck ddfanjo, go to your mum's, rest, sleep it. I feel sorry for you. Maybe your mum will brush your hair for you. It never fails to make me feel cared for when someone does that for me smile

mashpot Tue 30-Jul-13 21:56:52

Bloody hell, this is ridiculous! We are always facing the cupboard is bare situation and either DH or I have to pick up food for dinner, as pre-agreed, depending on who is working / doing the nursery run etc. Your DH had agreed to get food and he should've done that. Nothing more to it. I'm so pleased for you that you went out for a meal, best thing you could've done.

As for an emergency plan for unexpected guests turning up for dinner! Wow, a takeaway menu? Or should we have packets of space food tucked away?

DfanjoUnchained Tue 30-Jul-13 21:56:54

Thanks Crumbled and other supportive posters. Going to bed now x

Crumbledwalnuts Tue 30-Jul-13 21:56:58

sleep it? I mean, sleep, eat.

"Hence why I'm thinking my needs are never met in this relationship so I really need space to think."

Sounds like you could do with it. Sorry to hear you are struggling, it's not what you need. Look after yourself now.

nkf Tue 30-Jul-13 21:57:59

How soon before some happy homemaker posts a list of her always in the house ingredients? Using bullet points. And with ideas about how to whip them up into a nutritional meal for 30.

It doesn't sound good you don't seem to be very comfortable in your own home, had that been me i'd have started a conversation along the lines of 'eeeeeeee, I could eat a scabby horse between to matresses and I think baby does too, i'm going to order takeout/get some shopping, does anyone want anything'.

It shouldn't be made into an issue, they all sound a bit odd confused

TheYoniWayIsUp Tue 30-Jul-13 21:58:27

I totally get why you might end up with no food in the house, but don't get why you took the baby out to eat? Could you not have popped to the shop, grabbed some food and brought it back? (Or to the chippy?)
Where did you go and what did you end up eating?

Crumbledwalnuts Tue 30-Jul-13 21:58:31

snort at the comments about emergency plans and axes and abseiling, vv good

nkf I want to know what they'd whip up with a tub of raspberry ripple ice cream, some frozen peppers and some apple juice.

Dfanjo I hope you have a good sleep and not too interrupted by the baby. Come over to mine and I will give you smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel with scrambled eggs and French toast for breakfast

Oops, no bagels.

Crumbledwalnuts Tue 30-Jul-13 22:05:09

There's usually some ropey old fish at the back of the freezer. I think they sell freezers with the ropey old fish already at the back, I really do.

FCEK Tue 30-Jul-13 22:05:15

I'm confused confused. the OP had absolutely NO food in the house, no baby food/milk shock and couldn't order a takeaway?

YABU. I would always have something in the house for my DC

Hassled Tue 30-Jul-13 22:05:39

If only Dfango had had a chicken. She could have fed at least 20 people for 3 nights with a chicken. If and when I get an Emergency Guest Policy and Procedure document in place, it will definitely feature a chicken.

Dfango - yes, get that space to think a bit. Hope you're OK.

mamij Tue 30-Jul-13 22:05:43

Just want to clarify that you are ebf your DS at 7 months? What about solid foods?

Viviennemary Tue 30-Jul-13 22:06:59

I don't think they should have stayed through most people's evening meal time. They could have offered to look after your DS whilst you went to the shops or at least been a bit more sensitive. They seem a bit selfish. It sounds as if you're not getting the support you should be from your DP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now