...to be delighted that I have never witnessed my parents shagging?

(213 Posts)
Beeyump Mon 29-Jul-13 14:14:27

During one of those meandering conversations with a friend the other day, the topic of parents' public displays of affection came up. She was shocked when I said that all I could remember between them was the odd hand hold and peck on the cheek, and seemed to view witnessing her own mum and dad having sex, through a slightly opened door when she was around 11, as some kind of rite of passage. Like, I was bound to be a bit screwed up about sex because this hadn't happened to sheltered me confused Oh, the very idea of it though! And surely it's not THAT common to have seen parents DTD?

Slightly disconcerting that you'll be shouting my name at the crucial moment.

Beeyump Wed 31-Jul-13 12:04:34

grin

CatsAndTheirPizza Wed 31-Jul-13 12:12:44

I've never walked in on my parents, though this thread has reminded me that they did lock their bedroom door to 'watch television'. I like to think they were watching television and that the loo trips afterwards were because they had a pot of tea in there too.

It's also, unfortunately, reminded me of the day we went to DH's parents and I saw a prescription for vaginal dryness cream (or some such - I have brain bleached the details now) on the notice board when I was admiring postcards shock. Them still being active is a visual image I could do without to be honest. I'm not entirely sure how they would, due to the shape of my MIL. I tried to discuss it with DH but had to stop when he got to the dry retching stage!

valiumredhead Wed 31-Jul-13 12:26:59

Just to make you feel better you can be quite un comfy with vaginal dryness without needing it for sexwink

CatsAndTheirPizza Wed 31-Jul-13 12:41:59

Oh thank you so much valiumredhead - I shall be forever in your debt grin

OrangeLily Wed 31-Jul-13 13:13:35

I haven't seen my parents but I have heard both sets and I've also heard DH's Grandparents when we were staying. They suggested we all have a lie-in which I thought might mean about 9am. They didn't surface until 11am smile. Good for them though! DH was only my DB of about 18 months at that point and was a bit mortified.

LegoRelatedInjury Wed 31-Jul-13 13:45:43

Take it as a compliment Mother. You'll not heard it shouted often anyway! wink

Knowing about it is one thing but hearing it would be quite another.

littlepinkpear Thu 01-Aug-13 19:12:25

Once came home late to a lot of screaming and wailing from upstairs. Slammed the front door, nothing stopped.

Slammed it again, still at it. Slammed it again, still at it.

Went and made a cuppa, heard them both finish and got up and slammed the door again.

Lives with me to do this day, but my mother was having such a great time....

anniferer Fri 02-Aug-13 09:34:58

I heard my mother "at it" loads of times with her numerous boyfriends. I think it was more traumatising when I was younger and being bullied because my parents were divorced.
DD walked in on DH and I having a quickie one evening when she was about 3. We were both still mostly clothed (thank goodness for long skirts). She thought we were playing wrestling and asked "Is mummy the champion now?" .

picklepen Fri 02-Aug-13 09:36:07

I'm in the innocent category, though thinking about it... Never heard my DPs DTD but DID occasionally hear my my DM telling my DF angrily loudly to get off/oh, not now/not again!

I did find a condom in the washing machine once- had been caught up with the clothes from my DPs floor. DF waaay more embarrassed than I was!

And my DF was an amateur photographer... I thought some of the photos of DM were risqué but apparently he had more. None of us ever saw them- DM just informed us that DF had got rid of that album before he died. Thanks, Mum.

I'm with the posters that say seeing/hearing your parents are still at it is reassuring that they still like each other. Also hope to still be at it when I'm old too.

I couldn't stop laughing when I unwittingly walked in on my parents doing 69. I was 23 at the time. My mum was pretty n

Whoops! My mum was pretty non chalant about it. Fairy enough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now